View Poll Results: Who had the better 2D games, Mario or Sonic?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mario

20 54.05%
  • Sonic

10 27.03%
  • I refuse to choose!

5 13.51%
  • I didn't really play games with either of these characters.

2 5.41%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who had the better 2D platform games: Mario or Sonic?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Super Mario World alone did more to push the platformer genre forward than any Sonic game. I'm not even going to bring Yoshi's Island into this because that's just not fair.

The original Sonic on the other hand wasn't really that good. The foundation was there it just took Sonic 2 to make something interesting out of it, in part thanks to the addition of the spin dash and some cool level design (even if there are some parts that are just smurfing bulltrout). But after that most of the additions just got in the way of the main gameplay rather than adding to it. Knuckles was kind of cool since his climbing and gliding brought something really different compared to Sonic as opposed to simply flying short distances like Tails. But was it as ground breaking as the stuff Mario did at the time? Not even close to be honest. The games were mostly still Sonic 2 with a fresh coat of paint and some annoying new game mechanics. Now sure, Sonic 2 with a fresh coat of paint is still fun, even if they were a bit flawed, but they're none of them are a Mario World.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

It's really impossible for me to choose. Super Mario World and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 were my favorite games growing up as a child. Sonic was my favorite thing ever for a long time growing up, while I really just enjoyed playing Mario.

This wasn't a fair poll. Shame on you, Pike.

Pretty easy for me. The only Mario games I've ever been interested enough in beating was the first New Super Mario Bros. on DS (which was a blast) and Mario 64 (which was a chore). None of the Mario-related 16-bit games really grabbed my attention. They were alright for wasting a few minutes of my life, but that was about it. I'll admit I enjoy Sonic 1 purely for nostalgic factors. But Sonic 2, 3, and Knuckles I still find extremely enjoyable. And I've beaten Sonic 1, 2, and 3 many many times

Articles
    Blog Entries

Interesting question. I asked this question two years in a row with my Mario/Sonic comparisons, and Mario won both times. Not sure who's going to come out on top for me when I review the third games. I'll substitute the NES games with All Stars in this case. Close race. This is my annual Thanksgiving tradition for a reason.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

It's also Mario for me, but Sega made a fantastic franchise and has nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to 2-D Sonic platforming games.

This statement does not include spin-offs or the 3D era. Although Sonic Spinball was pretty freaking fun.

I guess I'd go with Mario. I never thought Sonic was fun. But I'm not the biggest fan of Mario either. The whole momentum mechanic was always an annoyance to me.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Who is the one person who doesn't play games with either of these characters?!

Whoever you are, make yourself know. You are formally invited to my house for a day of gaming education.

It's gotta be Mario really. I think the best Sonic games are better than some of the Mario games. But they've never been better than the best Mario games (in 2D: Super Mario World)

I liked the Sonic games (the good ones: the original through & Knuckles [and Spinball]), but I don't really liked the Mario platformers.

With one exception. Super Mario World is easily my favorite game in the entire genre, and I have played it to death. I've done all exit, all dragon coin runs multiple times. That game is as close to perfect as a platformer can get.

So, while I enjoyed more of the Sonic games overall, that single title pushes the Mario series to the top.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    I liked the Sonic games (the good ones: the original through & Knuckles [and Spinball]), but I don't really liked the Mario platformers.

With one exception. Super Mario World is easily my favorite game in the entire genre, and I have played it to death. I've done all exit, all dragon coin runs multiple times. That game is as close to perfect as a platformer can get.

So, while I enjoyed more of the Sonic games overall, that single title pushes the Mario series to the top.
    I agree with everything you said except I think the total combined quality of Sonic 2, 3, and &K elevates it as a series above Mario.

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

Since I never had anything other than an Amiga 1200 till 1996, I feel I never ever got the chance to experience any of these games in full during my youth. I obviously knew them and recognised each but I preferred Donkey Kong Country over any traditional Sonic or Mario game when I did get a chance to play a Super Nintendo at a friends.

Superfrog, Brian the Lion, Trolls, Zool, etc was about as good as it got for me. =P Based on aesthethics - I'd probably prefer Sonic.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Sonic for me. I prefered the speed and the cute little critters compared to a random italian plumber. Also, I dun like tortoise abuse.