Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "I love the game but hate its fans"

Blog Entries

A lot of the DayZ community sucks. they're either super hardcore and if you don't play first person you're a COD noob or people who don't understand a survival game and think it's COD on a 225square KM map. And then you have the super gun/military fanboys who correct every single post that says "clip" instead of "magazine" and act like they've fought in 6 wars.

Articles

Final Fantasy Games are amazing. The community is awful though.

They actually think that FFVII is the best one, rather than FFXIII.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Online competitive gaming communities can be pretty scary but LoL takes the cake imo. Also this isn't really gaming but I like to read Homestuck and that webcomic has the scariest fan base of anything I've ever encountered

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    On Facebook I've made the terrible mistake of liking a few Persona fan pages only to be brought face to face with the obnoxious weeboo side of the fanbase that spends most of its time arguing over whether P3 hero or P4 hero is a bigger Memetic sex god or which of the female characters will forever be that person's waifu. Hell even dropping in on forums with fellow Persona fans I can't help but really find the whole thing demeaning and silly what they argue over. Granted all fanbases are like this to a point but my question here is whether you found a game you loved only to plunge into the fanbase to talk about this game you love to discover the fanbase seems to consist solely of self-entitled assholes.
    Every group seems silly from the outside. For example sometimes I accidentally wander into one of those sportsball threads on EoFF and feel lost. I don't understand it but I can see other people really care about it. I don't think it's wrong to be really excited about stuff, even to the point of extreme silliness. Being excited about things is what makes life worth living. Being excited in a group of like-minded people is a great way to form relationships.

The problem is when for some people, their hobby is their life, or too big a part of their life, and it starts to bleed over into real-life areas. Then you have football riots, or people harassing or otherwise hurting others because they disagree about a video game, and that's too far. I think there's a limit to how far you can take obsession with a hobby. Video games aren't a replacement for a healthy life. But if someone is dorking out and being excited about their hobby and they aren't hurting anyone, why should I care?

Debate the details of the Star Wars universe or which character from some game is cutest, or be really excited that your local sportsball team is going to the sportsball finals, or geek out over an old car or rare book or some band I don't like, or whatever, I'm not going to begrudge you or judge you. I have my own hobby obsessions, and I get in heated discussions about them with friends sometimes, and I imagine we sound ridiculous to people who don't know anything about them, but it's all for fun. Our arguing is good-natured. At the end of the day we put the game down, laugh at ourselves and get on with life.