Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dragon Quest games

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

VIII and V are my favorite ones. I also enjoyed the original for nostalgic reasons. I like all of them to an extent.

While all of them have a focus on grinding, I think VI and VII focus a bit too hard on grinding if you want a decent character from a gameplay perspective.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I now have IV, V, and IX. Someday I'd love to grab VII and VIII.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    While all of them have a focus on grinding, I think VI and VII focus a bit too hard on grinding if you want a decent character from a gameplay perspective.
    I usually don't have to grind too much, if at all, in DQ games but I am actually spending a lot of time grinding in DQVI just to beat the final boss.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

i only started playing the first (snes) but it seems like a good game .

i have 1 2 5 and 6 to play so yeah hope theyre good

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    I usually don't have to grind too much, if at all, in DQ games but I am actually spending a lot of time grinding in DQVI just to beat the final boss.
    Well, my main problem is that to get to certain classes in both game, you have to grind like crazy to "unlock" them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah that's the problem I have right now, I need one of my casters to have Kazing but didn't even have one of the pre requisite classes mastered, much less the grinding it took to get the advanced class with the spell up to level 5.

Lamonda & I are currently playing through VII and enjoying it. A while ago we set out to play through the entire series in order but stopped in the final chapter of IV because we got so frustrated by the AI-controlled party members. In total, I've only actually played I, II, III, IV, VII, and VIII at this point. It's very difficult to rank them because I actually really enjoyed all of them. I'm sure Lamonda would say her favorite is the original, because of its perfect simplicity (and because we got to draw dungeon maps on graph paper), which is a tempting choice for me as well, but there is just so much to be said about the others. VIII was the first that I ever played in full, and it really impressed me. The innovations of III basically blew my mind after playing the first two. I absolutely adored IV until the aforementioned problems with AI-control. I guess the only one that I was kind of so-so on was II, but I still enjoyed it overall.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I thought you could set the party to manual control in IV?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I think that was something that they added to ports/remakes, but we could not find such an option in the original.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    I think that was something that they added to ports/remakes, but we could not find such an option in the original.
    This, the ports and remakes do a lot to clean up some of the series clunky design. A.I. control was kind of a big thing in III, IV, and V but the ports set them to manual. XP/Gold were also changed to make the games far less grindy. I think DQVII for the PS1 is probably the last DQ to stay true to some of the more... antiquated design. It's one of the reasons why I do really enjoy the DQ ports because they fixed quite a few issues I've always had with the series.