Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Dragon Quest games

Which ones are the best and why?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I can't help you, but having just completed my first DQ game (8), I am also interested in this.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Tier 1: IV, V
    Tier 2: III, VIII
    Tier 3: VI, IX
    Tier 4: I, II, VII

I love them all dearly.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

VIII is my favorite and I wish they built on that instead of going this weird co-op route. IV is also excellent. In general I prefer the games where the characters have actual personalities instead being a team of blank avatars. V did this well too, with the family angle, but I'm not a huge fan of the monster party members.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

:monster:

V is my favourite. I haven't played like half of them though.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

V and III are my favorite entries. V for the Coming of Age story which was novel for its time and I love collecting monsters. III was frankly ahead of its time and I'm always a sucker for job class systems with min/max benefits not to mention it has my favorite plot twist in the series.

VII is my next favorite because it's the game that will make you lose six months of your life just trying to do everything and I feel it might be the best written entry despite the main plot being pretty straight forward and simple. It's hard to explain...

VIII and IX are next, VIII had great characters and an interesting premise but the plot is too thin to carry the length. The gameplay also was a huge step down from VII imo. IX is a vast improvement in the gameplay department but takes the episodic design of the story to an extreme that burnt me out.

After this is DQI which is absolutely simplistic and bare bones but I found it really fun to play through the granddaddy of the genre.

IV comes next. While it certainly has a cast, their personal stories don't mean jack trout after the Hero shows up which really bothered me. Beyond that the game doesn't have enough gameplay options to balance its basic design and vanilla gameplay to keep me interested. The chapter set up in the beginning is interesting but unbalanced with Toriko being the high point, Ragnar being short and sweet and the rest just overstaying their welcome.

DQII is probably on the bottom because it has some clunky design from the early days of the genre as well as some incredibly frustrating cheap shots in difficulty that makes the last stretch of the game an endurance match on your patience as you watch your whole party get PK by an enemy using Self-Destruct in the first round of combat on your fifth attempt on the final dungeon.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

VIII, because that's the only one I've played in depth. I also love the characters & design of that one a lot.

Boco

DQV is definitely the best! It has an awesome story following the main character's entire life, with an amazing soundtrack and fun monster-catching gameplay.

Overall, this is my ranking:
    1. DQV
    2. DQIV
    3. DQVII
    4. DQVI
    5. DQVIII
    6. DQII
    7. DQIII
    8. DQIX
    9. DQI

I've only played VIII, IX, and the VI DS version. I really want the DS versions of IV and V too, but they seem to never pop up at my local game stores. (If I cared enough, I'd order them online or something.)

While VIII is probably my favorite of those three, IX holds the distinction of being the game I sunk the most hours into on a single playthrough (178).

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

Blog Entries

My ranking is pretty much:

1. VIII
    2. VII
    3. VI
    4. V
    5. III
    6. IV
    7. II
    8. I
    9. IX

I know the rankings look kind of weird. I really enjoyed the hell out of 8 because it was the last one to feel like a DQ game.

VII was amazing because of how long and challenging it was. Even without doing sidequests you were still looking at like 70 hours of gameplay. I wish Squenix would get the dicks out of their butts and release the 3DS remake here.

I loved IX when it first came out, but playing it now bores the bejesus out of me, because it's so easy to kill everything. Even the grotto bosses were super easy. All you had to do was get a multihit skill for everyone and get their strength up. Then just do whatever multihit moves you have and everything dies to it. I killed the last boss in like 5 turns doing that and was only level 50 or so. DQVIII got kinda broken too, but not "kill everything in two hits" broken. If they remade this game and made it more challenging, then it would be so much more fun for me.

DQI just didn't age well. That's all that is.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Articles
    Blog Entries

My rank is DQV > DQVIII > DQIV > DQIII > DQVI

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So after reading this thread I'm thinking of playing either IV or VI

Articles
    Blog Entries

If i had to steer you one way or the other i would definitely say IV. I'm finishing VI right now and it just doesn't have the same magic as the others I've played

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Anyone know how hard the DS Dragon Quest games might be to track down for a reasonable price?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    Anyone know how hard the DS Dragon Quest games might be to track down for a reasonable price?
    Not hard at all unless you really need a 'new' copy.