Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "I love the game but hate its fans"

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

:monster: "I love the game but hate its fans"

On Facebook I've made the terrible mistake of liking a few Persona fan pages only to be brought face to face with the obnoxious weeboo side of the fanbase that spends most of its time arguing over whether P3 hero or P4 hero is a bigger Memetic sex god or which of the female characters will forever be that person's waifu. Hell even dropping in on forums with fellow Persona fans I can't help but really find the whole thing demeaning and silly what they argue over. Granted all fanbases are like this to a point but my question here is whether you found a game you loved only to plunge into the fanbase to talk about this game you love to discover the fanbase seems to consist solely of self-entitled assholes.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

>Big ol' weeaboo complaining about weeaboos

Although yeah I don't have anything to do with MLP anymore because of all those horsesmurfers who infest it. I just want to like a stupid cartoon for little girls.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    my question here is whether you found a game you loved only to plunge into the fanbase to talk about this game you love to discover the fanbase seems to consist solely of self-entitled assholes.
    Final Fantasy.

But on the complete opposite side of things, I hate FFXIII but love some of its fans. I have bad taste in people.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

This is kind of how I feel about the "video game fandom" as a whole. It's tough to find somewhere that isn't full of either a.) neckbeards who won't shut up about being oppressed by the devs or whatever, or b.) This sort of weird group of people who like to hide on the edge of the video game fandom, acting like they're above it/too old for it/whatever while not leaving it.

I want to meet other people who are just as enthused about games as I am without crying nonstop about GamerGate or, on the opposite end of the spectrum, proudly going around wearing "KILL ALL GAMERS" shirts before going home to play World of Warcraft (this is a real thing, I see it on Twitter all the time)

Anyways, that's the end of my rant

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Gaming fans in general who act exclusive to others based on the how frequently they play games or their game taste give me a huge humanity turnoff.

World of Warcraft. No thanks. Additionally, I feel like everyone I've ever met who is in love with Call of Duty is a huge jagweed.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I hate to admit it, but I have a big problem taking serious cod players seriously.

Generally, I am pretty reserved when talking about my enthusiasm for certain games. I'll admit to liking them, but if the conversation takes the direction of "which character is da hottest/coolest/" or something like that, I'll probably just let it die. I'd rather talk about the game's world and setting, or the game mechanics or music.
    Last edited by Mirage; 01-02-2015 at 01:00 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Gaming fans in general who act exclusive to others based on the how frequently they play games or their game taste give me a huge humanity turnoff.
    Sorry

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    But...

It is over 10 years now that I found out.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Shorty hates da PC masta race.

I too cannot take COD enthusiasts seriously. In fact, I recently honored Bolivar as the first fan of the series to say something that I didn't immediately dismiss the way a politician would with the opinion of a 5 year old child. Anyone who gives up any semblance of life to spend 12 hours a day dedicated to one game for months at a time has a problem. And World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Dota, League of Legends, and probably now Hearthstone seem to attract these people. And I feel like they have no will or opinion of their own. They're just mindlessly addicted sheep. Not sure what it is about those games and those people, but its a problem. I've seen families fall apart from this and it makes no sense

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Shorty hates da PC masta race.
    Well oppressed classes usually rise up against the bourgeoisie eventually.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually some of the best people I've met in gaming are diehard World of Warcraft players. I stuck around the meta community for years after quitting because they are genuinely good people.

You just have to find where the good fans are. Admittedly difficult sometimes.
    Last edited by Pike; 01-02-2015 at 02:12 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I dunno, just people who are jerks about gaming. Let people like what they like and play what they play. I do actually enjoy discussing games with those who have a difference in opinion than I do, because it helps me see games from a different perspective. But those are mature, respectful discussions. If its like "lol u liek ff8 loser" then I mean...

But I haven't found a community that's largely like that

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Final Fantasy. Like ugh. I've ventured to other fandoms but the FF one is so polar between new and old and they get so grumpy about it.

But yes, gaming fandoms in general are full of ugh. In fact the internet is just full of ugh. I HATE EVERYTHING. I'M GOING TO MY ROOM.