So, long story short, I used to draw like all the freakin' time as a kid. To the point I got an A* in both Art and D&T: Graphic Design GCSEs.

But then the internet, being the sultry and tempting suductress that it is, lured me away with the unsolved riddles of HTML and CSS and the allure of Paint Shop Pro and eventually Photoshop. As a result last week was the first time I've seriously touched pencil to paper for the first time in over a decade.

Context: A very close friend of mine at work left this week to go back to Germany. She was always envious of my Photoshopping etc and I was always envious of her traditional art skills, she occassionally drew me pictures inside of Christmas cards etc. As a parting gift (well as well as giving her a copy of KH 2.5, because I am a big gifter) I decided I would draw her a picture for a change.

Now, unless you've been living under a rock - you know that Rapunzel is like totes my favourite Disney character. My friends favourite was Merida. This was the basis for the picture, and I tried to apply a bit of an animey/sketchy twist to it. The sketchy part kind of being lost by inking over all the edges...

10881190_10153018161879708_2073810881_n.jpg

Now because I am a terrible human being I a) didn't have time to finish colouring it before she left and b) I was far too lazy to crop the scanner out of this picture before I posted it. I know, if this scan was Shorty, it would be "the worst."

Coincidentally I also had no colouring pencils (12 years and all), so I basically had one of those 12 packs of Crayolas to work with...

I'm kinda happy with how it came out considering it's been 12 years, though I completely got the proportions waaaaaayyy off on Rapunzel's neck and Merida in general (to the point I think that Merida looks like E.T. in a wig). Also Merida's hair didn't quite come out as great as I'd imagined.

Anyway this was a long ramble over ultimately one picture. But as sharing is caring, I thought I'd share.

(also the "signatures" for the characters are based on how they autograph at the Disney Parks. The more you know!)