Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your favourite sports?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Watching: Football, Hurling, Darts and Tennis. I'd say I'd prefer tennis more as I love watching Federer. One on one matches play with your emotions more. Same could be said for darts when MVG plays. Theres some others likes Boxing, UFC, and of course when the Olympics are on but they are the main ones. Don't watch motor racing.

Playing: Football. Indoor football is great fun. Oddly play others.

Str8 Pimpin'

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Playing: Soccer, martial arts, distance running, disc golf, soccer, knife throwing, and car racing.

Like watching: some types of car/boat/air plane racing (some of it is very boring), some track and field events, billiards and/or trick shot pool, high diving, archery, and knife throwing.

what I can watch, and probably be okay with: everything. Except maybe baseball. I've even watched bowling.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    Playing: ...knife throwing
    You just reminded me of how much I'd like to learn knife throwing.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Playing: Soccer, Basketball, Football, Baseball, Tennis, Volleyball

Speaking of volleyball, the most fun I've ever had in my entire life, quite literally, was playing drunken "beach" volleyball in a sandpit behind a bar at my buddy's bachelor party. If you ever have the chance to play volleyball in the sand while drunk, DON'T PASS IT UP.

Watching: Baseball, Football, College Basketball, tennis, soccer

Articles
    Blog Entries

Playing: Basketball or casual/backyard cricket

Watching:

-Live: NFL

-Regular Season: NHL

-Playoffs: NBA and NHL

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Playing: Basketball is probably my favourite to play. I was a good power forward when I was younger and played for Manchester Giants under 16s.

Watching: Football (UK), Baseball

I watch the Superbowl every year but don't really follow handegg. I'll also watch Ice Hockey as long it's being shown in HD so I can see the damn puck.

Blog Entries

Playing: Football (but nothing more than a kickabout anymore) - Rocket Edge is right in that indoor 5-a-side is really fun to play and a great way of keeping fit - cricket, golf (even though I am the worst player on the planet), snooker, table tennis, darts

Watching: Everything apart from Gaelic Football

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    With a tennis ball because I'm a filthy casual.
    I respected you.

there was a picture here

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Forgot to mention there's a ton of stuff I was apparently pretty good at as a kid that I'm probably not good at anymore. Ice skating and golf fall under this category. My real weakness is team sports; I was always terrible at those. But I could skate circles around people, at least, and give my grandpa (RIP) a run for his money on the golf course.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    With a tennis ball because I'm a filthy casual.
    I respected you.
    I have played with a cricket ball, but I never play organised sport because I dislike making obligations out of things I find fun. I'd play street cricket nearly every day, though, during summers in NZ. When you play street cricket, you can't really use an actual cricket ball because windows would be broken, possibly bones, too. The few times I played cricket with a real cricket ball I didn't enjoy it as much because I was a weakling as a kid (I'm still relatively weak these days), and if you haven't got upper body strength then real cricket balls are horrid to deal with if you don't play regularly.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

Playing: Swimming

Watching: -Maybe- NASCAR. I try to catch races on Sundays so I can text with my dad.

And before any of y'all start talking trout, yes NASCAR is a sport. Any type of racing is.

Please no jokes about left turns cuz that's played out af.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You can keep your foreign sport in which the players run and run and sweat, only to end up tied 0-0. That is just not the American way.

FFXIV Character

Yeah, we like our athletes to sit in boxes and go around circles real fast, while we drink crappy beer and eat Doritos.

THE AMERICAN WAY BITCHES.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    You can keep your foreign sport in which the players run and run and sweat, only to end up tied 0-0. That is just not the American way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    As of 2006, over 24 million Americans play soccer. There are 4.2 million players (2.5 million men and 1.7 million women) registered with U.S. Soccer. Thirty percent of American households contain someone playing soccer, a figure second only to baseball. Increasing numbers of Americans, having played the game in their youth, are now avid spectators. A 2011 ESPN sports poll ranked soccer as the fourth most popular team sport in the United States, with 8.2% of Americans ranking soccer as their favorite sport (compared to 3.8% for hockey). A 2011 ESPN sports poll ranked soccer as the second most popular sport in the country for 12-24-year-olds. In 2013, Lionel Messi became the first soccer player ever to rank among the Top 10 most popular athletes in the U.S.

In addition, as Latin American immigration increases throughout the nation, so does the popularity of soccer. Furthermore, the increase in popularity of soccer in the United States is also the result of other factors such as globalization (with the resulting greater TV exposure given to soccer), the continued presence of U.S. teams in international competitions, and the continued building of soccer-specific stadiums in the country.
    America is learning to love the game. Give it time!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

Soccer's always been a part of American school sports, so of course people are playing it. I just don't see it overtaking any of the big three in regards to its spectator status. It's just usually no fun to watch, unless one has a strong cultural connection with it, and that's just not there in the U.S.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I actually love playing sports, but don't really get to play hardly any these days. I don't really like to play competitively, more just for fun. I'd gladly try out any sport, with the exception of aggressively physical sports like rugby, or wrestling.

Playing: Football, Table Tennis, Softball, Cricket, Badminton, Volleyball, Beach Volleyball, Gymnastics, Pool, Snooker

Watching: Football, Pool, Snooker, whatever is on at the Olympics