Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sports you've actually gone to see in person

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default Sports you've actually gone to see in person

Your pals playing footy in the street doesn't count.

I've only ever gone to see one sport live - motorbike racing. I loved it as a kid, we got to see loads of it because my third cousin, who rented a room at our house, was a champion motorcycle racer in NZ. Loved it, being able to hang out in the pits with Dave and the family, cheering him on, even holding the signs and cleaning the bike sometimes, was always fun.

Everything else has always been on TV for me. I'm not sure I'm all that keen on going to see football or rugby live because I like being able to chill out and enjoy it on TV. Cricket is something I might enjoy live, though, if I had good company. It's basically a sunny day at the park, with sports entertainment. What's not to like about that? Sounds awesome.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

We got to see County Durham play Cricket once when I was at school. On one hand it was mint because we got the day off school, but on the other it was so boring. So us lasses sat at the very back and gossiped all day and ate our packed lunches way too early.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

My Dad used to take me to go see Norwich City occasionally. I saw a various assortment of Paralympics Cycling and Athletics in 2012 and I used to go to Wimbledon every summer for about 5 years in a row to watch the Tennis.

My "step-dad" (I use that term loosely as they never got married) took me to see Motor Bike racing... that was legitimately one of the most boring experiences of my life.

VROOOM-VROOOM-VROOOM as 10 people hurtle past. 5 minutes of nothing... VROOM-VROOM-VROOM... 5 minutes of nothing... over and over for like 2 hours.... yay!

Blog Entries

(NHL) I used to go to Hartford Whalers games as a kid
    (NFL) I've been to 3 Patriots games Vs Packers, Vs Panthers, and finally I got to see the Bears be SUPER troutTY live. (NFL)
    (NBA) I've been to two Celtics games. One as a kid vs the Timberwolves and another a few years ago with Noodle Boy Phil or whatever he's calling himself today
    (MLB) And I've been to a couple Boston Redsox games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I saw a couple of races down at Lakeside, and was live at a WWE event if that counts.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    My "step-dad" (I use that term loosely as they never got married) took me to see Motor Bike racing... that was legitimately one of the most boring experiences of my life.

VROOOM-VROOOM-VROOOM as 10 people hurtle past. 5 minutes of nothing... VROOM-VROOM-VROOM... 5 minutes of nothing... over and over for like 2 hours.... yay!
    Sounds like a crap track or a crap view. Often motorsport courses these days seem to be made for TV, but the tracks I was used to were the kind in which you could see the whole thing from a high stand overlooking the entire course in a large fielded area with no trees blocking any views.

I'd hate what you described, too.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

It was Brands Hatch I think we went too. Bear in mind I also had 0 interest in Motor bikes too. It was supposed to be my Birthday but I'm fairly sure we went there for him, not me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Y'lhyrica Lucid (Ragnarok)

I've been to some football matches, although I'm not really big into football. I almost got some tickets to see the basketball at the London Olympics, but I couldn't really get to London on the day very easily so I ended up not buying them which I kinda regret now.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I've been to more sporting events than one could imagine. Mind you, sports in America is like a huge thing.

I've been to a handful or two of Bulls games. I try to go on my birthday, but now they go on their annual West Coast trip while Disney on Ice takes over the stadium.

I've been to many Bears games. My mom used to have season tickets, so every once in a while I'd get to go, but that was ages ago. The last game I saw was one of the last preseason games @ Soldier Field before they renovated it.

I've also been to my fair share of White Sox games, even though I'm not a fan of their's. I can't tell you how many Cubs games I've been to. My mom used to take me to @ least 4-5 games a year. But for the last decade or so, I've only been to about maybe 8. Last season I went to a game for my cousin's birthday. We had to sit out in the bleachers, which was a bitch for my back. Then I couldn't even get a beer because my ID had expired & I forgot about that.

I also went to a minor league game in Joliet a few years back, which wasn't bad.

I've been to watch football live, both international and club, for a few teams.

I was also fortunate enough to go and watch the first professional American Football game the season before last, in Ohio. It was a friendly between...two teams that I can't remember. Either way, the pre game show - which included dancing, brass bands, fighter jets and parades - was the best part.

I think next on my list would be to go to Silverstone to watch the Formula 1.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Your pals playing footy in the street doesn't count.
    >>> This and people brawling on the streets. Those are the only live sports I have seen..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Been to an NFL Niners game with Happy Noodle Boy and attended a fair few MLB games for the Giants. They were all fantastic.

I also went to a couple of college and high school basketball and baseball games when I was in school, but I'm not sure if those count. They were boring and not awesome.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

obv been to football games, and was also about 10 rows back from the cage at this fight, which is probably the greatest thing I've ever seen live. the audio on the tv feeds must have been utterly trout because it in no way did justice to how loud it was in there, it was crazy. awesome exciting fight.

:monster:

I've been to more baseball games than I can count. I've also been to a handful of basketball games, mainly to see Michael Jordan play when he was still in his prime (I saw one Bulls game in Chicago and I saw one when they were playing the Magic in Orlando). I think that's it.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Just motorsports for me. So a couple of Grand Prix, some Formula Renault stuff, things like that. I was at Brands Hatch for an Atom Cup meet a few months ago which was a lot of fun as we knew one of the drivers who scored us free tickets and paddock access.