Thread: How much time did you lose by not saving?

Default How much time did you lose by not saving?

So I just lost about 14 hours of grinding in FFX on my Vita by not saving because the game froze and I have absolutely no idea why. That pretty much gave me the idea for this thread.

It always sucks when you lose your precious time by not saving enough even if you do enjoy the game. What was the most time you ever lost by not saving and what was the reason you lost that time?

For me it actually was these 14 hours since normally I am pretty paranoid about stuff like this and save every three hours at the most. Also pretty much few days worth of grinding in Ragnarok Online when I was grinding my character to lvl 99 and then a "friend" lost all the experience on that character. Friggin MMOs and "friends".

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I prefer games that autosave or let you save frequently because of this reason. If I have to go back and replay a trout ton of stuff, it's puts me off from ever wanting to finish the game.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I save very frequently. The only time I end up losing is if I'm in a game with save points, and I've been going through a dungeon and die before I reach the next save point. THis has happened when I'm literally one step away from a save point frequently enough though. I lose an hour or two in these instances.

I have three very fond memories of this, two were recent also.

I had been playing grandia on my psp, and I was leveling everyone's magic. I had been doing it for about four hours on and off, then for no reason it glitches me between two flowers and I couldn't move at all.

Once that happened I decided to play ff7 a little bit til I felt like playing grandia again. I went from the gongaga area, before getting titan, all the way through the Cosmo canyon solar system tour. What's even worse is I was one door away from the save point and it froze.

The worst memory of this was back in the day of donkey Kong county. I was about 12 and I was just playing around waiting on my mom to get up so we could go grocery shopping or something. I went from the beginning to 4 levels into the ice level without saving. I was on a roll, I knew I'd I saved that it would ruin my groove. I had the tv so low that I could barely hear it when I was maybe 5 foot away, then mom came storming in screaming:"TURN THAT TV DOWN SO I CAN SLEEP!"......then flips the power on the snes......I still cry about that

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

This one isn't because of not saving, but once I restarted Deus Ex after putting about 30 hours into it because I decided I wanted to redo all my augments.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've lost whole evening due to this, it usually involves a MegaTen game but I honestly take it in stride and use it as a lesson to not be so obsessive.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Until you run through MGS without saving and die at the torture room, you don't know what true pain is.

Articles

I was doing an FFX-2 speedrun on new game plus. I had got 100% and I wanted to finish the game again because I didn't get true ending.

I didn't save the game after chapter 2 intending to save at the final save point before fighting the final boss. I got to the Dark Anima and was beaten. I lost lik 5 hours of gameplay.

Was awful,

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Until you run through MGS without saving and die at the torture room, you don't know what true pain is.
    The torture room trained me. I never fail at it anymore, and it has helped me in many other games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Masamunemaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    The torture room trained me. I never fail at it anymore, and it has helped me in many other games.
    I was so proud of myself when I beat that thing for the first time in fifteen years. Kinda sad, really.

Typically, I only lose progress if the power goes out. Although there have been cases of failure to save. For instance, getting through the excruciatingly slow opening of FFT and then dying in the first battle after neglecting to save.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    Typically, I only lose progress if the power goes out.
    This happened to me while I was playing F.3.A.R. I was fighting a bunch of annoying four-legged creatures and just as I begin to rage the power went out. My anger took out the power! Well, actually, it was the storm, but the timing made it kind of funny. Only I was too angry at the time to find the humor in it so I raged some more.

If the game was actually scary I would have thought Alma did it.

Or maybe that's what she wants me to think o.o

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I got a playstation and FFVII for christmas many years ago, but I didn't get a memory card with the PS. So for the first few days I would play as far as I could, and then just restart the next day. Sure I could have just left it on but I was afraid I'd smurf something up. It was my precious.

There are some games from the PS1 era which I never finished because of not saving and the game freezing. Arc the Lad and Alundra 1 or 2 and one of the Grandias stand out. I never finished Alundra because it happened more than once. Shame, too, cause it was a great game otherwise.