Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did you ever play in an arcade?

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Heck yes I did! My hometown had an arcade that was open year round. It is probably still around but last I went they got rid of a few games and that was two years ago. Recently I've been to barcade that has all the retro games you could ever want. There's two barcades in NYC.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

One of my earliest gaming memories was playing Kung Fu on an arcade machine in Spain when I was five. This machine was in the hotel lounge and was popular as hell at the time. Literally, anyone who played would have a crowd of people come over and watch to see how they did. I remember being particularly poor at it but was in awe of some of the other players. I was very happy when my older self completed the NES version of it quite a few years later.

Other crackers I played on Arcade was Ghouls and Ghosts, Street Fighter II (obvs), Operation Wolf, Time Crisis. I will occasionally indulge my nostalgia if I'm around arcades these days but it's very rare. Home consoles now are so powerful there really doesn't seem much point.

Happy times though.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Hell yeah I did. I am old enough where I can think back to a time where it was easy to find an arcade, not even counting places like Chuck E. Cheese's (back in my day it was called Showbiz Pizza)! Anyway, there was a mall that is actually close to where I live now. It's been closed and transformed into a strip of normal stores for years now, but they had a killer arcade back when I was in my late single digit ages/early double digit ages.

My main game there was The Simpsons Arcade game. I loved the hell out of that game. During the peak of the Terminator 2 craze, I played the hell out of the light gun game, as well. Of course they had all the popular fighting games and some obscure games, as well. My great grandmother used to take me there all the time. Sorry if I am just kind of rambling and sound disjointed, but I haven't thought of that arcade in years. Man, what a good time.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

You used to be able to find a Pac-Man machine pretty much anywhere.

Those were some good, good times.

Blog Entries

I grew up around a lot of arcades, being from Columbus, Ohio.

I can think of at least 15 that existed just in Columbus alone. Now all of them are gone except the one downtown that has like 50 arcade machines there. The laundromats have some too. One down the street has MK3, Tekken 2, Daytona USA, and some others. The laundromat in Central Point still has the SF2 arcade machine after 20 years!

Cedar Point has an arcade too, but that one is 2 hours away. They actually have a 6-player X-Men arcade machine there. I play it every time I go. I think KGB (used to be Sega GameWorks) is still around too, but I have never actually been there.

Arcades were my first introduction to Capcom's games. Westland was my arcade of choice because they had SF2, Super SF2, and SF3: New Generation. Along with many others. Time Out had some Cap stuff too, but got rid of all of it in favor of Namco games (Namco owned Time Out). Then the Time Out at Eastland got torn down and replaced with emergency doors. That really made me sad. Then Westland Mall started going into severe disrepair (a new mall opened up 8 miles from there), and most of the machines in the arcade there were in terrible shape. I think Super SF2 was the only one that still had a somewhat usable stick......for the player 2 side, anyway. Then a couple months later, the machines were cleared out and the arcade was closed for good.

Oh, another really good arcade I visited was the one at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Mo-Cap Boxing, Mace: The Dark Age, and Soulcalibur II in the same arcade? Hahahahahaha......haha.......
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Does anyone remember the table Pac-Man games? I think Donkey Kong was like that, too.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I played Dungeons And Dragons - Shadow Over Mystara when I was a tiny kiddo in arcade! I could clear it in one playthrough without dying! Also did some Street Fighters and King of Fighters!

I missed those good old days where kids will gather there and have a good time rather than trolling the internet and worshipping another troll off YouTube.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Played in an arcade recently. smurfen Dave & Buster's, bud!

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Canada still has Arcade!!??

There's an arcade here in Wellington NZ but I haven't been, it's always full of youths and they scare me

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Youths nowadays are scary. They get into fight easily and take pics/videos of you to shame you on the internet.

When I was a youth, the only fight I get into is inside Street Fighter and what happens in the Arcade stays in the Arcade. It does not goes to the internet for judgment.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Youths nowadays are scary. They get into fight easily and take pics/videos of you to shame you on the internet.

When I was a youth, the only fight I get into is inside Street Fighter and what happens in the Arcade stays in the Arcade. It does not goes to the internet for judgment.
    Genuinely an insightful and important critique of the state of our societies these days.