Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gameplay vs Story

Articles
    Blog Entries

Nay, I started out with Mario and didn't play a RPG game until 1997. I was just thinking of modern games in general when I first answered the question.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

If I wanted a good story I could be reading a book or watching a movie or TV show. I chose to play a game and that's for a reason. Though obviously the better the story, the better the game, but it's not a dealbreaker.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Gameplay is more important to me. The story, characters, and environment is what engages me, but the gameplay is what keeps me playing. With that said, I would not think very highly of a game with a crappy story unless of course it doesn't really have one and I'm just playing it for mindless fun to begin with. It also depends on the genre. For instance, I believe RPG's demand a good story because the formula of traditional RPG's; especially turn-based is very cut and dry.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

To sum it up: -
    - I marathoned through Shenmue in a weekend
    - I've been trying to complete one Zelda game for more than 15 years

Story all the way! All games should be coupled with a decent control scheme, but there is very little that video games do today that is new. Therefore there are no dopamine receptors going into overdrive because of a new kinesthic experience. Perhaps if I was new to gaming, then I'd probably be more focused on that side initially. "Wow! I can shoot people without the repercussions of 18 to Life!" We're all stimulated in different ways though. The only games where I don't care much are racing games, but I'm bored of them now unless you plugged me into an actual simulator that accurately portrayed the physics of a real driving experience. But then you're getting away from what may be technically defined as a game.

But frankly...just give me an audiobook instead.
    Last edited by Leigh; 02-15-2015 at 01:09 AM.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Without good gameplay it's not really even a game so, you know, there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    All games should be coupled with a decent control scheme, but there is very little that video games do today that is new. Therefore there are no dopamine receptors going into overdrive because of a new kinesthic experience.
    There's a lot more to gameplay than a control scheme, and you're playing the wrong games if you think there isn't enough new stuff being done these days.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    There's a lot more to gameplay than a control scheme, and you're playing the wrong games if you think there isn't enough new stuff being done these days.
    But how new? New as in genre-establishing? Or just tacking on using a shovel in a platformer game?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Story all the way for me. After all, I do consider visual novels to be games, and that decides that. They have no engaging gameplay to speak of (though there is the occasional exception) but the story is what makes them some of my favorite games.

Though it might be a whole different story if a game with a good plot was actually hindered by very bad gameplay instead of just not having or relying on any. I'd probably look up a playthrough in that case.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

But how new? New as in genre-establishing? Or just tacking on using a shovel in a platformer game?
    You don't have to establish a completely new genre to do things that haven't been done before. Portal didn't invent the first person puzzle game. The original StarCraft didn't invent the RTS, Half-Life 2 didn't invent the FPS, Just Cause 2 didn't invent the sandbox game, Mario 64 didn't invent the 3D platformer, Shadow of the Colossus didn't invent the 3D platformer/action game, and I really could probably sit here listing games all day but the point is that these games did things which had never been done before and had gameplay that completely changed how the genres were viewed or played without actually establishing a new genre.

FFXIV Character

You don't have to establish a completely new genre to do things that haven't been done before. Portal didn't invent the first person puzzle game. The original StarCraft didn't invent the RTS, Half-Life 2 didn't invent the FPS, Just Cause 2 didn't invent the sandbox game, Mario 64 didn't invent the 3D platformer, Shadow of the Colossus didn't invent the 3D platformer/action game, and I really could probably sit here listing games all day but the point is that these games did things which had never been done before and had gameplay that completely changed how the genres were viewed or played without actually establishing a new genre.
    I understand what you're inferring. But I think we can safely assume that we are both just motivated by different forces as a baseline? Over the past couple of years, and despite having played video games all my life, I've realised that I'm probably not a 'Gamer'. Haha. =) That's probably the reason that I have completed 5% of my game collection! =P I guess there is a reason that when I replay Final Fantasy these days - I do it with cheat modes that stop random encounters and max level everyone from the start! =P

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

To be fair, I probably would have not played Portal 2 and enjoyed it so immensely if it wasn't for the story/character/humour involved. Gameplay was still rockin', though.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!