Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gameplay vs Story

:monster: Gameplay vs Story

Moved from the "Love the game, hate its fans" thread. ~Scotty

I can't stop shaking my head about the never-ending ignorance of fans who think think they have the right to decide what is and is not about franchises that they officially do not own or them hating on everything that might have a few disadvantages. Pretty much like with the new Dragon Ball movies that come out and people laugh how the contain material and think it is great while they hated the same stuff coming out in Dragon Ball GT. And of course all that comes from them are absurb excuses. Same goes for the fans that rant about the PS4 port of Final Fantasy VII where now many videos are made and they are all like "everyone is shocked! everyone thought an actual remake will be done!" even though the whole show would have been way more spectacular from the very beginning if something like that would have been announced so it was pretty obvious anyway. And I cannot take people who are uninformed and generalizing seriously.

"We all know Final Fantasy XIII sucked, Lightning was terrible."

Mhm - except for the other millions of fans who disagree with you.

So yes, fans are great.

NOTE: I do still find some of their comments funny.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 01-04-2015 at 01:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Competitive Game Fans. You know the ones. The ones who will sneer at you if you try to talk about the story in something like StarCraft or most fighting games. Because all that matters is the gameplay, nothing else.

Idiots.

Metal Gear fans are also pretty bad.
    Gameplay is really all that matters, though. A game with a good story and troutty gameplay is a terrible game. A game with a troutty story and good gameplay is a good game.

I do agree that some of the competitive people take it too far though.

Now, I didn't explain my last post, so I will now.

Mega Man fans had a habit of clamoring for new games, and then not buying them. Then blaming Capcom when they stopped making new games in the series.

Now they have a habit of, since Cap basically said "screw you whiny assholes, we are not making any more Mega Man games," showing exactly WHY they don't deserve any new games. And on top of that, they are backing Mighty No. 9, which is nothing but a ripoff of Mega Man anyway.

As crazy as about 10% of the Street Fighter fanbase can be, at least they actually buy and play the games.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'm with polnareff.

It doesn't take a lot of enjoyable gameplay for me to be able to force myself through a bad story. However, it does take an almost impossibly good story to make me force myself through terrible gameplay.

That's why I've never played xenosaga.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I think a game with bad to no story is bad and nothing else except its main focus never was the story in the first place like some Hack 'n Slays I have. But even those are ~.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I found if one game doesn't have at least a decent gameplay/story next to the better part then I can't enjoy it period.

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I found if one game doesn't have at least a decent gameplay/story next to the better part then I can't enjoy it period.
    This is pretty much my side of things as well. If you have amazing gameplay and crap story, I really find it hard to get into and especially hard to maintain interest. Which is the sole reason why I have yet to try FFXIII because I've seen and heard the story in action and was witness to it being torn to shreds by The Spoony Experiment. And I completely agreed with his assessments on FFVIII and FFX so I can safely presume he's actually right about XIII's story being garbage. So I guess that's where I diverge from the fandom where Polnareff and Sephiroth seem to stand

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Whether one prefers the gameplay or story is up to the individual. I feel that they're both very valid options. Personally I see story as being secondary to the gameplay/genre, and even secondary to the world (i.e. I prefer games with a neat world where I can make my own character and story within that world, rather than following a preset character and story.)

However I understand that this isn't exactly the most popular opinion on an RPG forum, and I accept that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    This is pretty much my side of things as well. If you have amazing gameplay and crap story, I really find it hard to get into and especially hard to maintain interest. Which is the sole reason why I have yet to try FFXIII because I've seen and heard the story in action and was witness to it being torn to shreds by The Spoony Experiment. And I completely agreed with his assessments on FFVIII and FFX so I can safely presume he's actually right about XIII's story being garbage. So I guess that's where I diverge from the fandom where Polnareff and Sephiroth seem to stand
    I was too scared to watch his video on FFX. You won't convert me, Spoony!

And where is that different from me except you not liking the story?

I think that games with bad stories are bad games. I think FFXIII is a bad game. From what you said earlier, you think it's a good game because of good gameplay. That's where I meant that we differ

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm in the minority on this one but characters are most important to me. Story is very important, but not as much. Like Bravely Default. I would have enjoyed that game SO MUCH MORE if I gave one crap about any of the characters. Just one of them. But I didn't and so its been ranked lower for me than games with inferior stories and gameplay. Same with Xenogears.

A good story is very important but for me I need the right characters to flesh it out. I will enjoy a game with crap story and crap gameplay if I really like the characters. But story is second most important and third is gameplay. There have been some games that were just unplayable to me, like Chrono Cross, so even though it had an interesting story I just couldn't play it

I think that games with bad stories are bad games. I think FFXIII is a bad game. From what you said earlier, you think it's a good game because of good gameplay. That's where I meant that we differ

I never said such a thing. I love the story of Final Fantasy XIII and never said it had a good or bad story and good gameplay. You are the only one here claiming Final Fantasy XIII's story is bad, most people know I love Final Fantasy XIII and the story of Final Fantasy in general. I said bad games are defined for me through a bad story ultimately but that something that is not supposed to be focused on story like some Hack 'n Slays are an exception. Final Fantasy XIII was never mentioned when it comes to that and it is not a Hack 'n Slay. It is not good for me because of good gameplay but because it is a true Final Fantasy. Fun to play and a story to enjoy. Incomparable to other heavily overrated Final Fantasys and just treated bad through the Anti Hype Hype because it is cool to hate things.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 01-04-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

So yes, fans are great.

This is what I was referring to. I got the impression you were siding with the "millions of fans who disagree". Not that it matters. But just to answer your question

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

So yes, fans are great.

This is what I was referring to. I got the impression you were siding with the "millions of fans who disagree". Not that it matters. But just to answer your question
    Yes, I disagree with them. However I do not know how that makes you think I think "it has a bad story but good gameplay so I still love it". As far as it goes Final Fantasy XIII for me has good story and gameplay while having its flaws.

The main reason why I largely quit playing video games is because I was growing out of the rather teeny bopper stories that 95% of them had and could really care less about the gameplay.

Now that more adult oriented stories have started becoming increasingly common place I have started playing games a little bit (though I still go months without turning on the power button).

I do have an interesting question though. For those that prefer gameplay over story can you sit through some of the TellTale Walking Dead games? Games that have great stories but virtually no gameplay and are more choose what to say type games then fight any monsters?