Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Games That Aged Well/Aged Badly

Default Games That Aged Well/Aged Badly

I don't know how they churn out these videos so quickly but every now and then they make ones that interest me.

I understand and agree with the choices on the "Aged Badly" list for the most part. Although personally I would have had the first Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic somewhere on there.
    If they really wanted to piss some people off they could have chosen the first Metal Gear Solid as well. A lot of people find it unplayable nowadays.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

KOTOR ages badly, you say? I've started playing on my iPhone some time ago and it didn't really feel that dated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh, shut the smurf up! Tomb Raider 1 is not that smurfing easy!

Never before have I disagreed so strongly with a single list. You want a game that's dated? Play the second Spider-Man on PlayStation.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post

Never before have I disagreed so strongly with a single list. You want a game that's dated? Play the second Spider-Man on PlayStation.
    I see something really rustled your jimmies.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post

I'll have your jimmies rustled tomorrow, don't you worry.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

My jimmies are unrustleable.

Articles
    Blog Entries

My jimmies are unrustleable.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Guys! GUYS?! Stop! I can only contain it for so long!! NOOOOOO!!!

HRRRGHGHHRHGH!!!

AHSDHFHag,..,-=jk,pfdgjskdl;gj#*$#%*^#*(

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't know how, but this thread just became the best thread on the forum.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

/walks out

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    /walks out
    She's walking out in protest to the video btw.

I can tell with her / language. -nods-

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Alright, now that I've got that out of my system, I can see the reasoning for their choices. I always take MatchMojo with a grain of salt. Sometimes their lists are good, sometimes their lists are awful, and most of the time they are very middle of the road. Also, they really need to write better dialogue for the lists because even on the good lists they say a lot of cringe worthy things.

These lists I feel were in the middle of the road. Both of them focused on superficial aspects of video games rather than how they felt (though they sort of addressed that in spots). I suppose the surface area of such a topic is the most obvious thing to look at, but I kind of wish they took the time to dig deeper. I get that they release a billion videos a day, but a little extra time should be spend on stuff like these. There are plenty of lists they do where it can be put together quickly, but a lot of great topics have been squandered by them obviously rushing to get so many videos out per day.

Gah, I didn't mean to rant on WatchMojo so much. That channel is what it is at the end of the day, and I'll admit it is nice to put on if there isn't anything new on other channels I have way more emotional investments in.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Complaining about Tomb Raider's fights being easy due to the auto-lock is just absurd to me and comes across like they just played the first couple of levels of the game. With how hard it is to dodge in that game and no means of cover like in the reboot (you basically have to do so much smurfing jumping and roll if you want to turn around in time) if they added having to aim on top of it the game would be smurfing unplayable.

Most of the problems they mentioned with SH1 can be contributed to, "I sucked at this game." I'm not usually that harsh, but it's what I get from it. And I didn't play that game until 2014 so my thoughts have nothing to do with nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Alright, now that I've got that out of my system, I can see the reasoning for their choices. I always take MatchMojo with a grain of salt. Sometimes their lists are good, sometimes their lists are awful, and most of the time they are very middle of the road. Also, they really need to write better dialogue for the lists because even on the good lists they say a lot of cringe worthy things.

These lists I feel were in the middle of the road. Both of them focused on superficial aspects of video games rather than how they felt (though they sort of addressed that in spots). I suppose the surface area of such a topic is the most obvious thing to look at, but I kind of wish they took the time to dig deeper. I get that they release a billion videos a day, but a little extra time should be spend on stuff like these. There are plenty of lists they do where it can be put together quickly, but a lot of great topics have been squandered by them obviously rushing to get so many videos out per day.

Gah, I didn't mean to rant on WatchMojo so much. That channel is what it is at the end of the day, and I'll admit it is nice to put on if there isn't anything new on other channels I have way more emotional investments in.
    See, I agree with this. Take Grand Theft Auto III for example. They're absolutely right that a lot of people don't find that game as great as they used to. Back in 2001 the level of exploration and freedom you had was amazing. These days...well, it's not the city people complain about. It's more like the level of freedom back in 2001 isn't quite up to par with later games. People go back and replay GTA3 these days and they're like "I can't go in any stores! AND WHY CAN'T I RIDE A MOTORCYCLE????"

I still love it. It's an invaluable part of my teenage years and I can not recall being so addicted to any other videogame in my life. But I see where these people are coming from.

But the "reasons" given in the actual video - a lack of a map and the color scheme of Liberty City - are not among the reasons to complain about the game.