Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Awesome games people should know about!

Oooooooo, more games!

I'm in a similar boat to Vermachtnis on Luminous Arc 1: it was rather 'meh'. I did know about the second game though, but I never picked it up because of my experience with the first. It's good to know an improvement was made.

Also, Super Scribblenauts! \ ^_^ / I played it after Unlimited, but I still had a lot of fun with the game. I don't recall my puzzle solutions being as silly for the most part, but it was still awesome.

I've still never played a Shadow Hearts game, or Koudelka on the PS1 which I hear is a related title, but I've heard good things about the series. I need to fix that.

So, for my next game, this is a title I'm pretty sure EVERYONE has heard of, and yet most people don't know exists. How does that make sense?

Here are the hints before we find out what it is:

1) It's a Nintendo game
    2) It's a Gameboy title
    3) It involves a kidnapped lady-type person who ISN'T Peach
    4) Lots of jumping and acrobatics are involved
    5) No plane / spaceship stages

Think you got it?
    Let's find out!

Donkey Kong - Nintendo / Nintendo - 1994 - Puzzle Platformer

You know what game ISN'T an arcade port, despite what its name and platform might suggest? Yeah, it's this one. It's actually a super forgivable mistake too, since its first stages ARE just the original DK stages, and I imagine a LOT of people passed it over for that reason. It's really too bad, because once one gets past said stages they'll find what is easily one of the most entertaining games on the platform.

So, what IS this game if it isn't a port? Well, if you are familiar with the Mario Vs. DK series, this is effectively the first game in that line. If not, then . . . read on. After dropping DK on his head at the end of the fourth stage and being happily reunited with Pauline, DK decides he won't be having any of that, grabs her again, and dashes out of the stage with her. Ever the relentless purser, Mario takes off after him and each non-boss stage from there forward is centered around finding and transporting a key to a locked door so you can continue chasing DK.

It almost sounds a bit silly (kind of like everything in the original DK game when you think about it), but everything about the game, from controls to stage design, are executed superbly. Every stage is a puzzle where you have find and bring a key to the door, and new mechanics are thrown into the mix fairly regularly, with a short cutscene, starting with the key on stage 5, showing the player how the mechanic works.

Additionally, Mario himself has received quite the upgrade for the title, being able to perform handstands, backflips, and launch himself off of wires, all of which are vital to completing the game. It's pretty awesome having all these new options open to you, especially when you take unintended shortcuts using them in the original four stages. There's also the ability to block falling objects with your feet during the handstand that is required for boss fights throughout the game, which, maybe, made 10 year old me feel like a total badass.

As I mentioned earlier, the game was later followed up by the much better known Mario Vs. Donkey Kong games, which are great too, but that doesn't change how unknown / underappreciated I've always felt this title was, and if you are up for an awesome Nintendo puzzle platformer, you need to check it out. Actually, if there was any chance ANY excuse I could even theoretically offer you would sway you to try the title, you should try it out. It isn't as well known Super Mario Land (though I happily argue it is much better), nor was it the smashing success that was Pokemon, but it still remains . . .
    an awesome game you should know about

Last edited by Rez09; 01-17-2015 at 05:52 AM.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals: ring of fates.

i havent played i like 8 years but i still like it and nobody seems to talk about it. its for the DS. you stab stuff and magic other stuff. it is a game.

Is it like the original Crystal Chronicles at all? That was one of the games I got with my Gamecube. :o

Anyway, hints for my next game:

1) It's a Playstation and PSP title
    2) It's a Tri-Ace game
    3) It's an RPG
    4) Lots of dead people
    5) 2D platforming and puzzles

Got a guess?
    Let's see what it is!

Valkyrie Profile - Tri-Ace / Enix - 2000 - RPG

I really miss video game magazines, and oddly enough the ads are one of the things I miss the most about them. I remember seeing those full page ads and being excited for sooooo many games, this one included. Even when it just got a 1/3rd page review in the magazine instead of a full or multipage one like other major RPGs were getting, I was still excited for the title. I didn't end up getting the game for YEARS after it came out due to geography and scarcity, a situation similar to Star Ocean 2 and Suikoden 2 actually, but while those titles drifted into almost Holy Grail territory, this one just seems to have fallen into obscurity. It's too bad really, since this is far and away my favorite of the three titles, and I've always wondered why people never cared about it.

Actually, maybe that's not entirely true, because I fully recognize a divergence between what most people want in an RPG and what I want that began around the time this game hit that likely explains why, and it mostly centers around the story. Comparing it to the Final Fantasy series, VP is a lot more like the second half of Final Fantasy VI than anything else, where there is the larger goal you are working towards with relatively light story development pushing you towards it, which is a far cry from the stronger narratives other titles were bringing to the table. The opinion that story is the most important part of an RPG is still a popular one today, and in VP the majority of the experience, like the World of Ruin, is centered around individual stories tied to characters and exploring dungeons. Even that, however, isn't the most apt comparison, because most character development in VP is tied only to a single cutscene showing the circumstances surrounding a character's death (spoilers: everyone dies), where characters in FFVI were already established and lent further development in the second half, but it makes a lot of sense how Tri-Ace approached the story considering the circumstances of the game. You are, after all, a Valkyrie collecting the souls of the worthy to send to Valhalla to fight during Ragnarok, and much of their life is neither known nor important to you. That said, the game is far from devoid of story, especially when going for the unlockable ending, it's just that it forgoes the stronger narrative found in many other popular titles for a more unconventional one. And, actually, that's really descriptive of the title itself as a whole: unconventional. Almost everything about the game does things differently, and maybe that too put off some people.

For instance, instead of a traditional world map, Lenneth flies around the world and can search for new points of interest to explore, pointing to either a new dungeon or person to recruit. Additionally, game progression isn't tied to completing 'dungeon x and fighting boss y to see story segment z', but instead is broken into chapters until Ragnarok, each comprised of several periods that are consumed with Lenneth's actions on the map. Fortunately, while this does impose a time limit of sorts, the game gives you far more time periods than are required to complete the game, and it is possible to skip your remaining time to continue the story whenever you are ready.

Looking past the map, dungeons are also genre unconventional, being 2D platforming segments with a fair bit to explore and, on hard mode, lots of puzzles. In these areas Lenneth can jump, attack, slide, and create crystals to use as platforms and reflect lasers, ect. I always enjoyed exploring the stages, getting to places I probably shouldn't have often only to find a chest stashed away to reward me. It's always nice when developers intended their areas to be so thoroughly explored. The game's artwork is also beautiful and brings a lot of these areas to life, especially the Clockwork Mansion that opens in hard mode. Which, all things considered, is probably good since I ALWAYS get lost in there.

(AHHHHAHAHAHAHA, AHA, AHA, AHHHHHHHH.
    Then you must be me.

Yes, yes, I know. See you again in about five hours, rude ass room)

Another much appreciated feature of the game is that there are no random encounters, with monsters appearing on the map where you can engage or avoid them. If you whap them with your sword you get the initiative in the fight, or, rather, prevent them from getting it. You can also freeze them with your crystals and bypass them entirely, using them as platforms to reach higher areas. The freeze doesn't last all that long, but it's more than adequate, and you can attack them while frozen to start a fight as well.

Once combat begins, it too is unconventional for the genre despite retaining a turn-based engine. Your characters attack when you press the button assigned to them and, weapon dependently, can use different attacks to combo with each other. Using this you can attempt to juggle enemies for bonus xp, OTG them for bonus stamina recovery, or just get a large enough string to activate your special attacks, each of which is characters specific and (usually) pretty damn spiffy. For the most part I like giving Lenneth a bow and launching enemies with it, then brutally mobbing them with everyone else while they are in the air. There's a lot of intricacy to the combat, and it takes a bit to get used to, but it's pretty satisfying once you understand it.

I love Tri-Ace, I love how quirky their titles usually are, and this game, barring Tales of Phantasia if one counts it, towers above everything else they've ever made. The stages, premise, characters, combat, item creation (which I skipped over completely), everything about the title is just SO well done, and it is easily one of the best RPGs the PS1 has to offer. Just invest a little bit of time in learning the combat system and your effort will be completely rewarded. It's may not have the strong story Suikoden II did, or the super fancy 3D grafix of FF7, but it most definitely still is . . .

Also

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

uh woops sorry i didnt read the thread.

sorry for not putting a riddle in my game sorry. and yeah thats it bye.

Well, you definitely had the right idea, and the riddle thing is just something I'm doing.

Was the DS one at all like the GC one? :o I didn't hear about it at all.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

i dont think so. i never played the GC one though.

Well, here's another one of my favorites.

1) It's an SNES game
    2) It's a 2D platformer
    3) It's a crossover title
    4) Giant robot battles are totally a thing
    5) Sadly Japanese only, and I've never seen a patch. D':
    6) It's the fourth game, by number, in the series

Any ideas?
    Let's see what it is!

The Great Battle IV - Sun L / Banpresto - 1994 - Action Platformer

Sometimes I come across licensed titles that I expect absolutely NOTHING from and am completely amazed by the quality I encounter, especially when I don't remotely care about the properties involved.

As I mentioned in the hints, this game is a crossover 2D platformer, and you take control of one of the four shown characters during the stages, each with their own special abilities. Kamen Rider ZO has a spiffy multidirectional flamethrower, rider kick, and the ability to climb walls; the V2 Gundam can fly and has a grenade launcher and beam saber; Ultraman Powered can shoot lasers, has a bazooka, and can turn into a ball to get into tight spaces; and Roa, who I'm pretty sure was made for this series, has bouncing bullets and can double jump. You start controlling the V2 Gundam, but you can swap between the characters at any time, so you can just use whoever you like the whole game and swap for other abilities when needed. There's also the Compatible Kaiser who you get to control for some boss battles, which is super awesome. >: D

Once you complete the intro stage there are five planets you get to pick from, and it doesn't really matter which order you complete them in. Each has its own theme, and they may be inspired by the various shows (I have no knowledge whatsoever of these series). They are all colorful and respectably challenging, though at least one stage has an unfortunate habit I like to call: OPEN DEATH PITS #^!@%*& EVERYWHERE, which, it turns out, might be a bit annoying at times.

The game is pretty short, I believe 7 stages total, but it is well constructed and a lot of fun, so if you happen to be up for a spiffy platformer on the SNES you may not have played, give this game a try -- or the fifth one, which throws some Wild Guns into the mix. It certainly isn't Mega Man X or Demon's Crest, but it is still worth looking into and remains . . .

PS. It's also multiplayer.
    favicon.png

Blog Entries

I can think of a few right now (I'll only outline two right now), and one was actually mentioned in this thread already!

1. Tech Romancer (arcade/Dreamcast)
    Tech Romancer was a spiritual sequel to a 2D fighting game Capcom made called Cyberbots. What makes this different from their other fighting games, is that you pilot giant robots akin to what you would see in an '80s giant robot anime. There's a lot of environmental destruction, a decent story mode, and the visual design is amazing. Gameplay is as Rez said, very easy to pick up, so it's a great game to ease somebody into playing fighting games.

The Dreamcast version is notable for adding many features to the arcade version. One thing is the ending gallery, where you can of course view endings. The second, most important thing are the VMU mini games. My memory is hazy on them, but there are three of them, and the one I remember most is the one where you have to kiss the main character, but punch the girls (you play as one of the girls from the game, fyi). If I remember right, you can use the points to unlock more goodies.

Another added thing was, well.....Cyberbots had a character named Jin who was the main character of that game. Capcom added him as a bonus character and a nod to its predecessor.

2. Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure (DS)
    This game was doomed from the beginning, coming out around the same time as Pokemon Platinum. And that name. And that box art. Dear lord, what were they thinking?!

But anyway, this game has to be the best platformer I've ever played this side of the Mega Man series. It seamlessly blends puzzle gameplay (think Tetris Attack, not Resident Evil ) with platforming and action. Basically, you play as an old man named Henry who finds a rather strange suit of armor that throws him into an alternate dimension. He ends up exploring said alternate dimension.

It's so hard for me to actually explain how the game works, so I'll just post a vid and let it speak for itself:

I THINK that the creators of this game were the same ones who made a later game called Monster Tale. Some of the animations are very similar, as well as the platforming. And, speaking of that game, that will be another one I will talk about later.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I always feel the need to recommend Gitaroo Man, a quirky Japanese Rhythm game for the PS2 about a young boy and his talking dog who discovers he's an alien music warrior named Gitaroo Man and fights off quirky assassins while learning self-confidence. Maybe I should just show you...

Great game with a cool soundtrack.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Polnareff
    Another added thing was, well.....Cyberbots had a character named Jin who was the main character of that game. Capcom added him as a bonus character and a nod to its predecessor.
    The Bloodia is an awesome machine too, and I was beyond happy when I found it in the unlock shop. Bloodia vs. G. Kaiser was one of my favorite matchups, and landing that Bloodia C on a Kaiser preparing to spin kick feels sooooooooo good. >: D Also, giant rocks vs giant bombs. I wish the game would come out on another platform, I really miss it.

Blog Entries

I think part of what is keeping it from being re-released is that Studio Nue helped with certain aspects of the gameplay like the character designs and such. That, and Capcom released so few copies of the game that it was doomed to fail before they even released it.

Cyberbots, however, is on the PSN. So at least there's that.

Speaking of underappreciated Capcom Dreamcast games ported from the arcade, how about Cannon Spike and Project Justice?
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Damn, I forgot all about Gitaroo Man. I would like to contribute, but I don't think I've played anything obscure in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Polnareff View Post
    Cyberbots, however, is on the PSN. So at least there's that.
    I didn't know that, actually. It's nice Capcom thought to bring that over. Too bad they don't have any interest in a sequel, because I'd love to play a followup to either game. )':

Quote Originally Posted by Polnareff
    Speaking of underappreciated Capcom Dreamcast games ported from the arcade, how about Cannon Spike and Project Justice?
    Would you believe I never played the Rival Schools games? D: I heard they were pretty good too, but no one ever had them. How was Project Justice?

EDIT: Alrighty, I've got another one. Here are the hints!

1) It's an older PC game
    2) It's a turn-based tactics game set in WWII
    3) It's the first 'sequel' in its series, but the sixth game overall
    4) You play as Germany
    5) The Americans are dirty cheaters

Any ideas?
    Let's see what it is!

Panzer General II - Glenn Summers(?) / SSI - 1997 - Turn Based Tactics

I'll put this simply: Panzer General II is non-story driven TBT at its finest. The game is challenging without being unfair (minus those cheating Americans), it's mechanics are fairly simple while lending a lot of depth, the graphics are basic but do their job perfectly, and the music is . . . well, not gonna lie, it's actually rather forgettable. However, all of that said, I do need to point out this game is only for certain types of players, as the going is fairly slow and there is no actual plot or characters in the game. It's all about tactics as you fight your way across Europe to get your units into vital strategic points as quickly as possible, and there is little else to the game.

But that's not as bad as it may sound, because there is plenty of depth to the game. The primary focus of every mission is completing it quickly, with the stages you play being based on how well you do, potentially ending with the theoretical invasions of Britain and the US. This provides a lot of incentive to come up with the best strategies to break that defensive line as quickly as possible, balancing the risk/reward of your actions, instead of slowly creeping forward in a fully defensive formation and pressing into enemy territory. Taking things slowly is a luxury that, frankly, kills the challenge of most other TBTs, the Fire Emblem and Langrisser series in particular. Though sometimes daunting, PGII's Brilliant Victories are always within reach if you plan things accordingly, but quickly slips away or ends up quite costly if you don't.

Which brings me to the next thing I feel the game does right: unit cost. The game's currency is prestige, which is used to purchase and upgrade units, heal, and overcharge their health -- three of these four actions are dedicated to keeping units alive and relevant, and there is a reason for this. Despite not having any story threads attached to them, your units DO stick with you from mission to mission and gain experience, gaining additional stats and potential leaders and abilities as they level up. This makes poor plays exceptionally costly, as you can lose extremely powerful units you've come to rely on because you didn't bother scouting an area before you moved in. This is compounded by how important it becomes to create a strong core as the game goes on, as enemy armies will have leveled units of their own to contend with.

That doesn't mean you need to, or even should strive to, keep EVERY unit alive though, as keeping units fully repaired and upgraded is a relatively expensive affair, so knowing what is expendable is also important in the game. It is sometimes much more valuable to sacrifice a unit to gain a tactical advantage than it is to not lose them and hang back and slog it out with artillery instead. This also means there's the need to gauge what units to upgrade or just sell off between rounds, especially when a new technology hits. Do I sell this level 1 unit off and buy a new one, hoping for a new / better leader, or is this unit actually going to be useful enough for me to keep and upgrade?

This is especially true of extra infantry and recon units, both of which are extremely important, but not always to the same extent. Every unit class has its role and all are important to make proper use of, but you don't always need four recons, nor are tons of engineers needed in stages without lots of rivers to make pontoon bridges across. I end the game with a core around 30 ~ 35 units, but there is a lot of unit shuffling to get to that point. About the only thing that I never shuffle is artillery, which end up the true cornerstone of my military as their supportive fire and ability to destroy enemy entrenchment levels are invaluable under any and every circumstance.

UNLESS YOU ARE TRYING TO LAND THEM ON A BEACH AND YOUR RANK 5 PANTHER GS ARE MAGICALLY TWO SHOT BY INFERIOR AMERICAN ARMOR. In which case they are completely useless and will proceed to explode on the next turn because America.

Anyway, I don't really know what else to say about the game. If you enjoy tactical games and care less about story and characters than mechanics, this is a game you should check out. It's extremely well made and absolutely is . . .
    an awesome game you should know about.

(And it's on GoG. )

Last edited by Rez09; 01-21-2015 at 03:28 AM.

Alrighty, I'm not so fond of double posting but I'm doing it anyway! Here's my next title! \ ^_^ /

1) It's a licensed game developed by Sega
    2) It's a Sega Master System game
    3) It's a platformer
    4) Two playable characters: one large, one small
    5) Based on a (very) long running comic strip
    6) If you are familiar with the series, you are probably European.

Any ideas?
    What's behind the spoiler curtain!

Asterix - Sega / Sega - 1991 - 2D platformer

I'm not especially familiar with Asterix and Obelix, but every game of theirs I've tried has been somewhere between subpar and outright bad, and I've played a fair number of Asterix games. Imagine my surprise when I loaded this up expecting utter crap only to find one of the best titles in the entire Master System Library. It's colorful, it controls well, the stages have interesting gimmicks, and both characters play (slightly) differently and through different stages.

Well, after the start anyway. The initial stages are pretty uneventful and force you to alternate characters, which is a bit lame, but after that things pick up and you can take whichever you like. Being the merry, rotund fellow that I am, I of course just played the entire game as Obelix, who can butt-drop and overhand chop enemies into oblivion, the most manly of ways to dispatch one's foes. There are also some subweapons you can pick up, like a rock you can chuck at people, which is kind of amusing, and a fire potion, but both have important secondary functions -- impromptu platforms across water for one and burning certain blocks with the other.

The former's secondary function is likely the most important, as although your characters can swim, neither can clear paths through breakable blocks while doing so. You get around this with the water platforms, allowing you access to your chop while effectively standing on the water. All things considered, it isn't the most impressive mechanic, but does play an important role in the game at various points and provides a kind of taste of things to come for the rest of the title.

Despite how things start out, the game is a lot less 'Mario' than I've heard some people say, and stages aren't just about reaching a goal at the right end of the stage. Instead, the goal is a locked door (which, to be fair, is usually at the far right of the stage) and a key that is hidden somewhere in the stage for you to find. The path is usually straight forward to both, at least at the start where the two are usually right next to each other, but things certainly become more complicated as the game goes on and additional height levels come into the mix, and there was at least one key that took me a significantly longer time than usual to find.

blocks1.png blocks2.png

Along with the hidden key, the game introduces a a lot of interesting mechanics to block your way as you progress. The first are probably the most staple in the game, being these white breakable blocks, and early on you have to clear them quickly to keep a floating platform on the move as the screen attempts to crush you. Later on there are pots that suck you into them, spiders that dart around their web as you try to cross it, walls that require you to drop a weight to open them, water currents that shove you all over the place (pray to God you found a potion to make platforms for this part. X_X), and then there's that absolutely cursed platform in the second picture above that bobs up and down as you try to navigate a spike filled room. All of these obstacles come into play while visiting some regular 2D platformer locals, like a burning building (ship?), a frozen area, a desert, a forest, a water based area, ect. It's a great mix of a lot of things, though I do admit it can feel a bit same-y at times.

About my only complaints for the game are that the music is rather sub par and some stages take WAY too long to get through (seriously, round 6-2, to hell with that stage). Another thing to consider is that this game is 8-bit and should be compared to NES games more than SNES/Genesis ones, which it can feel a bit bland next to. It's a solid title overall and really surprised me, so if you are up for some 8-bit platforming, especially if you enjoy the Asterix license, check this one out. It isn't as good as 8-bit Sonic 1, or many REALLY good NES platformers, but it's still . . .

Last edited by Rez09; 01-23-2015 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Grammar X_X