Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Wolf Kanno's Bottom Ten JRPGs.

I'm not a huge fan of FFXIII but there's zero chance it would be on this list if it didn't have Final Fantasy in the name.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of FFXIII but there's zero chance it would be on this list if it didn't have Final Fantasy in the name.
    Maybe not on WK's, but it'd be on mine.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Like Spuuky implied, FFXIII is a good game, just not a good FF game.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

No, it's just a bad game period. Only if it wasn't Final Fantasy we wouldn't be talking about it five years after the fact.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like it. It was a subpar Final Fantasy imo but it was still a fun game and that's why I've played it 3ish times

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I won't say that FF13 was a good game that was judged to harshlet because it bore the FF title, but I will say that FF13 was a so-so game that unfortunately couldn't come close to living up to the FF name. I don't regret the time I spent playing it, but at the same time I have no particular desire to play it ever again.

.... much like FF12.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just think FF13 is a ton of wasted potential, with a world that is interesting on paper but is executed so poorly with it's writing, further bogged down with the unbelievably boring gameplay. Seriously, even X was better, and that used to be my least favorite FF.

Yeah, I don't get the 'only bad by FF Standards'. FF Standers range from amazing to crap. They cover the entire spectrum. (Except the Music, it's pretty consistantly great.)

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

/ramble

Just came here to say the majority of the music was nice, and the work put into the world, monsters, etc was also pretty good.

I've played other games that sort of lead you from one place to the next with very little in the way non-linearity or variety and it was fine. The first Xenosaga comes to mind. You basically are carried from one dungeon area to the next with scripted scenes in between. (looooong scripted scenes)

I guess the difference is I understood the story, I cared/was interested in the story, and I liked the characters. I also liked the combat system and the ability system for those Xeno characters. So even though it wasn't a very open world, I didn't care. I wanted to know what happened next, and really felt like continuing down the corridor to figure it out. Also, at least it had towns instead of random orbs.

For FXIII I still really don't know what the story was. Considering I follow Xeno games just fine, and I didn't really follow XIII, I think that's not a good sign. The characters, maybe because I didn't fully understand their motivation, also kill me. Everyone hates Snow, for example, and I agree. Pumpkin knows I always say he's a combination of Fred Durst and Mathew McConaughey. Some of them are okay, but none really grab me. There's more characters I actively dislike than ones that I'm neutral towards.

Then there's the fact that I feel like the combat is on autopilot. The paradigm systems sounds freaking great. I was so excited to try it, but I was left disappointed. It's not really the system itself, it's the combat system it's attached to. I don't particularly enjoy MMO style combat engines, and that's the path other RPGs are taking. I'm only partially controlling one character, and the others are left completely to their own devices. It pulls me from getting into the game even more because it's actively less engaging to me.

So I'm left with a game that has lots of scenes trying to explain a story to me (poorly), and using characters that I don't really resonate with to do it. When it's actually my turn to play I'm left traveling down corridor after corridor to get where ever we're going. Since I don't really care about where we're going, I have time to notice that getting there might look different, but it basically feels the same in every location. When I finally get to engage with the characters (combat), I find I really only get to engage with one character, and even that feels like a surface level of control. I basically say, "Okay, try this set up. All right, shift to this pattern." Then I watch and see how it goes. I hope they heal when they need to, buff when they need to, etc., but I can't really control it.

I watch scripted scenes, I watch characters run blindly down hallways, and I have what feels to me minimal input into characters once their finally in a fight, so I'm basically watching that too. I'm watching a story I don't really care about unfold basically on it's own.

It feels like an interactive book/movie and when you have one of those you better make sure the characters are engaging and the story makes sense. XIII never did to me, and so it was completely forgettable.

I'm going to say something I don't think anyone here has ever heard before...

XIII's not a great game, but it's better than VI.

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post

Pssst...there is a thread for that: Controversial opinions about Final Fantasy

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Run, run, or you'll be well done!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I agree the story was wasted potential but I think for me personally IF it had been executed properly it would have been one of the more interesting ones in the series. The characters I'm torn on. I like half of them, I don't mind one, and I hate the others. But I thought the Paradigm system was buckets of fun and it's one of my favourite things. I think it's what helped me get involved in the combat since most of it was automated. But switching to the right Paradigm at the right time was the difference between winning and losing. Even regular fights could take forever if you didn't think about your party set up. The lack of towns was also exhausting

But despite that, there were some beautiful locations, some moments that I thought were touching, the story still interested me despite not living up to its full potential, and I had fun playing it. So