Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf Kanno's Bottom Ten JRPGs.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Huh. I have this game. Played a little bit of it to test it out and liked it so far. Ignorance is bliss.

And Mark is a dick.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    If the absolute abomination that is FF XIII isn't number 1 I'll lose all faith in you Wolf.
    This is a 'Worst RPGs' list with Valkyria Chronicles on; I wouldn't hold out much hope of it making sense
    This isn't really a Worst RPG list as much as my bottom of the list of the games I own list. I actually like most of these games except for maybe four of them.

In hindsight, I kind of wish I had placed VC higher because unlike the last three I posted, I haven't been able to finish it because it does nothing for me whereas Thousand Arms and Xenosaga were at least entertaining if only a little. Sorry to disappoint people but I do feel that VC gets a lot of love for simply being an RPG on a popular system in a time when there was nothing else available as opposed to something that has enough strong merits on its own to stand out against better competition. If it was a PS2 game released in it's prime years, I would like to think it would be remembered as a footnote instead of a fan favorite.

Ring of Red utilized similar gameplay and I doubt anyone has heard of it. Of course it came out when most of us were playing some of the last great games on the PS1 and anticipating FFX for the PS2.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I played all the games from the list so far, except for Valkyria Chronicles and Xenosaga 2..
    I agree with that list I think, the PS1 era has an incredible amount of Horrible RPGs and I doubt Wolf is going to be able to put all of them in only 10 spots..

BTW, FFXIII-2 is worse than XIII..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ring of Red utilized similar gameplay and I doubt anyone has heard of it.
    Hey now! I resent being lumped in with these uneducated fools.

Oh god I forgot about Thousand Arms. I found it an incredibly forgettable experience. Never made it very far before it started to bore me.

And while I still say the combat of Xenosaga 2 isn't AS bad as people make it out to be (It's still pretty bad, mind you. ) you'll really get no argument from me on that one.

Boco

Even though Revelations: Persona was on this list, I still feel that Persona 1 (The PSP version) was actually pretty good and definitely recommendable, that is, if you like dungeon crawlers. I enjoyed the game a lot, and I feel it's underrated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

This game further exemplifies why I believe the '90s were a dork age for Atlus. The SNES SMT games hold up really well even by today's standards, and the evolution that occurred in the PS2 era caused them to nearly overthrow SE as the king of JRPGs. The PSX era is just filled with clunky, experimental ideas that are really, really unpleasant to play. Persona 2 was really good, however.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Ring of Red utilized similar gameplay and I doubt anyone has heard of it.
    Hey now! I resent being lumped in with these uneducated fools.
    Lol, sorry sorry, I'm just pointing out that games like VC have come out and when stacked against a some of the genres strongest contenders, it doesn't stand as tall. I think my other point would be that despite all the praise VC1 got, VC2 received little to know fanfare because it was released later on when the genre began to pick up more steam and it had some actual competition.

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    F-ing called it!
    You did. Frankly if people paied attention to a few other threads I've spoken in, you'll know my Number 1 and 2 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Oh god I forgot about Thousand Arms. I found it an incredibly forgettable experience. Never made it very far before it started to bore me.

And while I still say the combat of Xenosaga 2 isn't AS bad as people make it out to be (It's still pretty bad, mind you. ) you'll really get no argument from me on that one.
    It's not just the combat though, I feel the overall gameplay experience is a huge step back from Episode 1 which is why I was happy when Episode 3 brought a lot of the elements back. Despite that, I do like Episode 2 as a story but their is so little to make the game standout to its superior brethren that it's a black sheep for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Motdrafin View Post
    Even though Revelations: Persona was on this list, I still feel that Persona 1 (The PSP version) was actually pretty good and definitely recommendable, that is, if you like dungeon crawlers. I enjoyed the game a lot, and I feel it's underrated.
    I actually like the game's dungeon design, in fact I feel Persona 1 has the best dungeons in the franchise. While I know most people don't care for FPP style dungeons in RPGs, the fact they had puzzles and were anything but straightforward made going through them much more engaging than the dungeons in the later installments.

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    This game further exemplifies why I believe the '90s were a dork age for Atlus. The SNES SMT games hold up really well even by today's standards, and the evolution that occurred in the PS2 era caused them to nearly overthrow SE as the king of JRPGs. The PSX era is just filled with clunky, experimental ideas that are really, really unpleasant to play. Persona 2 was really good, however.
    I would say Atlus was more of a hit or miss with their titles, it didn't help that it was the Sega Saturn they really backed during this time frame so many of their more interesting games (like Devil Summoner) were being produced for that system. They did give you the port of Tactics Ogre that you just put on your list actually, since Atlus was the publisher for some smaller companies.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

They did give you the port of Tactics Ogre that you just put on your list actually, since Atlus was the publisher for some smaller companies.
    I heard that port was pretty messed up

Still, I never said it was a bad time. I used the term dork age specifically because of that - there was a lot of weirdness, and I have a feeling they just had a hard time finding themselves in that era. Thankfully, their products have become more consistently good since then.

Lol, sorry sorry, I'm just pointing out that games like VC have come out and when stacked against a some of the genres strongest contenders, it doesn't stand as tall. I think my other point would be that despite all the praise VC1 got, VC2 received little to know fanfare because it was released later on when the genre began to pick up more steam and it had some actual competition.
    This has nothing to do with "competition" or the "genre" and everything to do with the fact that it's a PSP game instead of a PS3 game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'ma play Persona 1 on PlayStation.

"NO! DON'T!"

I'ma play it.

The thing with VC is it not only came out to critical acclaim in 2008, it was then released on Steam last year to critical acclaim and commercial success. SEGA have already come out and said that sales for Valkyria Chronicles on PC were far beyond their most ambitious expectations. The PC is not exactly a platform lacking in high quality strategy games - a 6 year old Japanese curiosity would have no chance in that market without being genuinely great.

If you don't like it, you don't like it. That's unfortunate, but it also is just because it isn't to your taste. Not because it's somehow overrated due to it's circumstance, like a starving food critic giving a 5* review to the only mouldy bread he could get his hands on.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah there was a huge gap before releasing VC on Steam, and when it finally arrived a month or two ago, the reviews were all around very positive. Among user reviews on Steam it has almost 2,000 of them since it came out two months ago, and they were "Overwhelmingly Postive". It has an average of 84 on Metacritic, just two below the original's 86. There's been enormous time to find flaws and problems and bugs and stuff, and to see whether the game holds up over time rather than being hyped because of the dearth of other RPGs when it was released - and it clearly does hold up.

It may not have been proclaimed GOTY but there's no way you can argue it's one of the ten worst RPGs ever. That's just crazy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

And as Wolf Kanno keeps reminding us, this is not a list of top ten worst RPGs ever.