Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf Kanno's Bottom Ten JRPGs.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Sorry I haven't updated. I wrote up something last night and I took so long the page froze and I had to refresh and lost everything. I'll try to re-type it later this weekend.
    This is why you install the Lazarus browser extension.
    That's why you type long detailed things in text editors and copy/paste instead of web text entry boxes.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

The site was just all "Oh, it's Wolf Kanno again making a super long post. ...OM NOM NOM!"

I really hope Beyond The Beyond made the list. It might be that Wolf Kanno wasn't dumb enough to waste his money on a clear turd.

...Not true of me. I was disappoint

Blog Entries

I wonder if Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter will make the list.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    I still kind of want to get it and play it to completion someday just because I want to say I've beaten every Final Fantasy game/spinoff available in the US. XI and XIV will probably be my exceptions to that.
    One has to question the merit of designing a game that can't be won.

I've never cared for MMO's for this reason.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Polnareff View Post
    It definitely won't. I've talked about it with him on several occasions. We agreed that the game is really good, if a bit strange compared to the other entries.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    I still kind of want to get it and play it to completion someday just because I want to say I've beaten every Final Fantasy game/spinoff available in the US. XI and XIV will probably be my exceptions to that.

You can complete their storylines though. I feel like XI and XIV would make a good candidate for being able to "win." The problem is I don't have time for them, and (at least with XI) might not even really exist by the time I do have time to get to it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

You can complete their storylines though. I feel like XI and XIV would make a good candidate for being able to "win." The problem is I don't have time for them, and (at least with XI) might not even really exist by the time I do have time to get to it.
    If you can get pass the stupid Play Online bulltrout. I decided to skip XI altogether for this very reason.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Sorry I haven't updated. I wrote up something last night and I took so long the page froze and I had to refresh and lost everything. I'll try to re-type it later this weekend.
    That's why you type long detailed things in text editors and copy/paste instead of web text entry boxes.
    Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    The site was just all "Oh, it's Wolf Kanno again making a super long post. ...OM NOM NOM!"
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    WK is gonna make XIII not on the list just to spite everyone
    He might have thought about it, but I think his skin would crawl so much it'd tear itself off and leave the room if he actually did it.
    Well, we'll have to see. Only one FF is left, one sequel, one handheld, and possibly one more surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    How did I not see this thread earlier? Just gonna post now to say XIII is definitely #1, everything else I'm not certain about. Especially if that makes the other two sequels and one of those sequels is a handheld game. I'm not really big on handheld so yeah.

Reading these threads always makes me really grateful for my inability to dislike a game as much as other people seem to. I get so much more enjoyment out of my gaming than they do, which can only be a good thing for me.

Still, it's fun to read bits and bobs (I've had to skimread as I'm far behind and don't know/haven't played most of the games). Crisis Core is the only one that I've played more than a few minutes of and I can see the reasoning but it just doesn't bother me so much. Genesis was meh, but the game itself was enjoyable for me, especially at the end (well, enjoyable might be the wrong word... good, definitely, but sad).
    Yeah, these types of threads are amusing. I did have the funness of discovering this little gem while hunting down images for my posts.

42039.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow_Magic View Post
    Wow, didn't expect to see Valkyria Chronicles on here *_* Granted, I dropped it myself - but it's regarded as a classic by tons of gamers. I totally get your reasoning, though.
    Yeah... I knew before I made this thread I was going to get some serious flak for that one.

I really hope Beyond The Beyond made the list. It might be that Wolf Kanno wasn't dumb enough to waste his money on a clear turd.

...Not true of me. I was disappoint
    I can tell you now that it won't be here. I almost want to play it to see how bad it is.

Honestly, XI was actually pretty fun to play. I just happen to the type of person who doesn't like committing to the long grind or constant socializing to get anywhere to take me to the next level with it but in terms of story and world, it's a really good FF game.

Quote Originally Posted by Polnareff View Post
    Yeah, as Fynn mentioned, not going to happen. I actually really enjoyed Dragon Quarter but with that said, I'm not surprised that game gets a lot of flak from the fanbase because the SOL system is a truly love-it-or-hate-it mechanic and it really makes or breaks the game. There are other points of contention but for me that is the one I can understand why people don't like it.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Too much work when you can just install a browser extension that auto-saves everything you type

Honestly, XI was actually pretty fun to play. I just happen to the type of person who doesn't like committing to the long grind or constant socializing to get anywhere to take me to the next level with it but in terms of story and world, it's a really good FF game.
    You should do what I do and take the massively-multiplayer out of MMOs and play them alone. (Yes, I know this isn't how it's intended. I don't care. Solo WoW is a blast.)

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Too much work when you can just install a browser extension that auto-saves everything you type
    Then you also don't run the risk of accidentally submitting it before it is done. On a forum post not so bad, but it is a habit I got into from typing long and potentially sensitive business-type e-mails.

That and something as long and detailed as these write ups I would imagine you want to save a permanent copy anyways.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

You should do what I do and take the massively-multiplayer out of MMOs and play them alone. (Yes, I know this isn't how it's intended. I don't care. Solo WoW is a blast.)
    I pretty much done this for Star Trek Online, Star Wars: TOR, and DC Universe Online, but mainly because I'm anti-social on these things. Enjoyed them all immensely. I do hope DC Universe Online stopped having maintenance with no prior warning. I was once in the middle of a boss fight and got kicked off the server because the game had to run a maintenance on itself. Just when I was starting to win. Figures.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

#3 Lufia the Ruins of Lore
    Lufia_the_Ruins_of_Lore_Packaging.jpg

So I wouldn't be surprised if many of you have never even heard of Lufia, let alone the fourth game in the series franchise. Lufia was a series developed by Taito, Natsume, and Neverland for the SNES back in the day, it was actually called Estpolis Genki in Japan and renamed in the US to Lufia, after the main characters female childhood friend who plays an important role in the story. It featured standard turn-based combat combined with a heavier emphasis on puzzle solving in dungeons. The story revolves around a world where god like beings known as Sinistrals have reached the twilight of their reign as the mystical Dual Blade has signaled the end of their days and the rise of mortals as the rulers of their own destiny. Four of the Sinistrals, in a vain attempt to thwart fate lash out against mankind and the mortals, causing the young hero Maxim to rise up with his allies and defeat them. The rest of the series revolves around the conflict of these gods and the Maxim bloodline. Many fans consider the second game in the series to be the best entry and since then the series has kind of floundered with a half-hearted attempt at a sequel on the GBC and then this game on the GBA.

Lufia - Ruins of Lore_07.png

Ruins of Lore is a Gaiden game, which means that it's more of a sidestory unrelated to the main series. It is also the only entry not developed by Neverland but instead was developed by a third party developer working with Taito. The game takes place 20 years after Lufia 2 and revolves around Eldin, a young warrior wanting to make his family proud and finally striking out on his own. His father is the best friend of the son of Maxim, who doesn't really appear in this story because Maxim doesn't have an heir that's relevant until the unnamed hero of Lufia 1. None of that is really relevant either. He meets a Priestess named Rubius, who is trying to stop Ragule from using the local evil military super power to help him collect magic artifacts to summon "The Beast" and rule/destroy the world. If that sounds pretty generic and cliche for the genre, well it is, and no it doesn't get better. Despite taking place in the Lufia world, the game makes no mention of the Sinistrals or Dual Blade, hell beyond a few name drops, a rather lousy use of a fan fave character for a brief moment, and using a few locations from the main games; it really has absolutely nothing to do with Lufia. It could have just as well had been a new IP considering how poorly it uses the source material. Granted gaiden games can often get away with this stuff but the issue comes down to the fact the plot is pretty bland and it becomes pretty clear that Taito may have just slapped on the Lufia title to just make sure it sold a few more copies by being loosely connected to the cult series. An actual game about Dekar would have been much better personally.

gfs_47255_2_1.jpg

Gameplay has always been a mixed bag for the franchise. It uses typical Turn-Based combat in all installments except the Lufia 2 remake. The game drops the really cool equipment system from Lufia 2 and the more interesting Spiritual Force system from The Legend Returns, instead it adopts a fairly generic job system with the whole gang of the usual D&D inspired classes with the names changed to make them sound less generic. The game's only really cool addition was bringing back the Capsule Monster mechanic though it now has a Pokemon element. In Lufia 2, you could recruit special monster that represent 7 elements in the game and feed them gear to level them up and watch them evolve into more powerful monsters with new skills. This is brought back but instead of being designated monsters, they are any enemy monsters. You can basically capture weakened monster with Monster Disc in a way that is a blatant rip-off from Pokemon. Sadly the mechanic doesn't have the same focus as Pokemon and MegaTen so it often feels more like a gimmicky mechanic as you stick to party members.

gfs_47255_2_2.jpg

The game still utilizes puzzles but tools are now relegated one per party member a la Wild ARMS resulting in dungeons requiring some party shifting. The puzzles are also much easier than some of the hair pulling nonsense Lufia 2 gave you which is great for newbies who don't like the game flow being stopped by being stuck with a puzzle but it's a little aggravating for veteran players who often see the puzzles as the most memorable gameplay experience Lufia has to offer that separates it from the regular RPG fold. Another annoying element is the lack of save points in dungeons. There is a quick save feature which makes this a non-issue but it just seems a bit weird to not have them, especially considering its a handheld game and the dungeons are surprisingly long at times. Also the game pulls that obnoxious point and click world map gimick that was really popular in the early 2000s for several RPGs so there is no traversible map meaning little in terms of exploring beyond dungeons.

lufia4-29.png

Basically imagine Nintendo announced a GoldenEye sequel on the GameCube, but instead of using Rare they went with some third rate company. The game was written to be about a British soldier who comes in to help in the big scale battles at the end of most Bond films, and he and his crack unit need to track down some terrorist that bought a nuke off the black market, not Bond villain terrorist, just regualr run-of -the-mill terrorist that you see in media. The character never deals with MI6 and the highlight is the one mission where you run into Q but it's practically an Easter Egg rather than a real event and the rest of the game is traveling through desert cities and jungle areas hunting terrorist with your squad. The game isn't particularly bad, it's just really mediocre and without the heavy Bond stuff, if frankly feels like a mediocre run of the mill FPS. That is what this game is in a nutshell.

lufia-the-ruins-of-lore-0006.jpg

For me, I really enjoyed the SNES era Lufia titles, which I always felt had the potential to grow into a really strong franchise but after the issues with The Legend Returns, and now the absolute sub par Ruins of Lore, I understand why it took SE a decade to even consider revisiting this IP and did so with a questionable remake of one of the more popular entries. It's games like this that kill good series. Not absolutely terrible but so mediocre that it makes you forget it as soon as you stop playing.

**************************************************************************************************** ****

So I'm down to my final two and can pretty much say these are the two that I really hate. Everything up until now have been games that were disappointing but I would still probably play them if the mood struck me. I may also do an honorable mention section as well but I'm debating on that....

The last two were the first two I wrote on this list, and in fact, if this list was either my worse games of all time instead of just my bottom 10 or even not restricted to what I own, you bet these two would still have made this list.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've heard of Lufia, but never played it. Might get around to it one day

Articles
    Blog Entries

I like the artwork in those pictures.