Thread: Free Audio recording programs

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Question Free Audio recording programs

I'm looking for some suggestions and perhaps links to a a few websites or programs that are noob friendly for recording and linking audio. I'm stressing noob friendly.

I know about audacity and utilizing programs like dropbox or youtube to link the video some place but I need something for the technical impaired. Any suggestions.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

It depends on what you're trying to do, but Vocaroo's super easy. Don't even need software for it if you're not needing to do anything fancy. Handles the recording and the linking both. I use Audacity, and find it incredibly simple compared to other things I've had to use in the past, so I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly if Audacity doesn't work for you.

If you end up using software, and just need something to upload the files to in order to link them, there's Soundcloud

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

on my FFV lp i record my voice using audacity. thank shauna

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I'm looking for some suggestions and perhaps links to a a few websites or programs that are noob friendly for recording and linking audio. I'm stressing noob friendly.
    Seconding Vocaroo. It's basically the very thing you're describing.
    Last edited by Pike; 01-09-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Vocaroo can occasionally butcher your quality though.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I know you mentioned it, but I use Audacity and I think it's really simple. There is some fancy stuff you can do sure, but if you just want to record and maybe delete mistakes or coughs out, it's really easy and straightforward.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Agree regarding Audacity. Otherwise, I assume Windows still has an in-built Sound Recorder thing. Vocaroo, meanwhile, is indeed good for sharing recordings, although the quality is poor and it is easy to lose your recordings if you lose the url, as it's not something you can easily log in and find using a search or anything.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I know you mentioned it, but I use Audacity and I think it's really simple. There is some fancy stuff you can do sure, but if you just want to record and maybe delete mistakes or coughs out, it's really easy and straightforward.
    your right its so simple you press one button to record and when your done you press it again. any unwanted parts you just highlight and pres delete.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I usually use Audacity but I'm probably going to be working with people who will have issues figuring out how to upload the audio so while I will use this as an option I'm still looking for an easy way to record and link the audio to other sites.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Soundcloud has a built in recording function. I've never used it but you just click 'upload > record new', and it will use whatever default microphone is attached to the computer. That way all your recordings will be saved to your soundcloud account for future reference as well.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Discovered a program called Ardour which is not that new but was recently updated about 30 days ago. It's interface is very similar to Pro Tools and as a result it enables you to mix with relative ease if you're familiar with PT. You can also record it in as you can with PT and perform Automation. When I have some free time I'm going to record a screen capture of me testing it out.

But as others have said Audacity is the most noob friendly option if all you want to do is record and then export put a .wav. .mp3 is super compressed so I wouldn't recommend. I usually just attach files to emails ends use they're small enough or upload it with WeTrasnfer if it's alot of them.