Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast

Thread: Fynn's Top 25 games

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntace101 View Post
    damn. well if im one of the 2 who hasnt completed it then i wonder who the other one is.
    That would probably be me, it's sitting in my game collection right now next to two other 3DS games I need to bust into. Been busy with real life.
    Make that three. I haven't completed it either.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I’ve recently been talking to Pumpkin about how some games just don’t even try to be something poignant. A lot of the best games are just pure fun. That is the point of games, after all. This list has so far been pretty dark and dreary, but I promise you, there’s more to my tastes than that So here’s one game that is nothing but pure, unadulterated, lighthearted fun:

MARIO & LUIGI: BOWSER’S INSIDE STORY

I know this forum has a collective boner for Super Mario RPG. It was a good game, I have to admit, but I never understood why people acted like it was the best thing since sliced bread and that nothing similar came out of it later (they sometimes acknowledge the Paper Mario series, however). I don’t get how people so in love with that game can simply ignore the existence of this cute little series, especially this, the third installment, which I consider the best among the Mario RPGs. Yes, I just said it. I like this game so much better better than Super Mario RPG, mainly because the star of the show is Bowser.

Is this a fanfic?
    Bowser is my favorite Mushroom Kingdom character, hands down, and he is awesome in this game. He tosses stuff left and right, meaning he’s still the badass he’s supposed to be, but he also often plays the butt monkey. Basically any line he utters is priceless.
    Really, I’m struggling to find a line from this game that isn’t comedic gold. I mean, look at Fawful and his hillariously broken English.

Or Midbus, whose name is already punny enough, and who speaks like he watches too many kung fu movies.

Besides the impeccable script, the game is also really nice to look at, with high quality 2D sprites with extra smooth animations.
    The battle system is pretty nice, if nothing too original. Remember how in SMRPG you had to time your hits right? The same happens here. When you attack, you get to push a button. Time it right for massive damage. You can also avoid enemy attacks in a similar way. You control the Bros. using the A and B button, while Bowser is controlled with the X and Y button. The Bros. occupy the bottom screen, mostly exploring a 2D, side-scroller like environment, while the top screen is devoted to our lovable king of all Koopas.

The music is done by Yoko Shimomura, as is the tradition for the series. Most of her tracks are fairly lighthearted, but I still always get a nice pump out of the regular battle theme.

Too bad Dream Team Bros. never reached the level this game offers. Still, who cares if the sequel is weak if you still get to experience an amazing little gem anyway? I can recommend this game to anyone, really. It’s easy to get into, sucks you in and captivates you with magical whimsy. It’s a great game for both casual and hardcore gamers alike. And it’s hilarious as smurf.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I didn't know Bowser had his own game. That's awesome. Luigi got his own game, Warrio got his own game, Peach got her own game, Toad got his own game, and now Bowser has his own game. EVERYBODY GETS A GAME!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I didn't know Bowser had his own game. That's awesome. Luigi got his own game, Warrio got his own game, Peach got her own game, Toad got his own game, and now Bowser has his own game. EVERYBODY GETS A GAME!
    Except Daisy
    Daisy__s_Dignity_by_Furboz.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like Daisy

Seems like a cute game! Never been one for the Mario games, but it does look cute and seems funny.

Midbus looks friggin creepy tho

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Except Daisy
    Daisy__s_Dignity_by_Furboz.jpg
    She was doomed when she became Luigi's love interest.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    I like Daisy

Seems like a cute game! Never been one for the Mario games, but it does look cute and seems funny.

Midbus looks friggin creepy tho
    Really? I always thought he had that ugly-cute charm going for him

But yeah, y'all have to try this game as it's one of the most fun experience I've ever had.

And it's not just Daisy, Wolf. Waluigi never got his own game either, and a very vocal part of tumblr is very upset about that...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ohh okay I misread

I meant this dude:

He's friggin creepy

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    Ohh okay I misread

I meant this dude:

He's friggin creepy
    Ah, yes. Fawful's pretty creepy. But he's also the hammiest villain ever. Seriously, it's glorious.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Of course he's a ham, his name is Fawful. That's not even subtle

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I haven't played any of these but I'm really enjoying the list so far

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Well, here's hoping this list will help you change half of that statement someday

Articles
    Blog Entries

I played Partners in Time, these are indeed really fun games, if a little on the simple side.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Well, here's hoping this list will help you change half of that statement someday
    Indeed! A few of the reviews have already got me intrigued

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

An entry from this series was pretty inevitable on this forum. Still, I think it’s only proper that I start with a little story. When I was a kid, I didn’t even know what FF was until my friend found this cool little emulator site where you could, um… take in some classics, so to speak The NES and SNES never really existed in Poland. Exploring this whole new world of games was really exciting and new. Three games in particular have grabbed my interest. I have been addicted to this series ever since. These games were FFIV, FFV and…

FINAL FANTASY VI

What can be said about FFVI that hasn’t been done to death on this forum? It’s a phenomenal game that redefined what Final Fantasy stood for. It had a fresh new setting, no central protagonist, instead making the story revolve around a group of individuals each taking the center stage at one point or another, and a completely non-linear second half. The story seems like a typical evil empire narrative at first, but the way it is told is unique and really, I don’t think any game has done it this well to this day. The amazing music drives this point home. This is probably my favorite soundtrack by Uematsu so far.

Dicks.

While the game is extremely easy, the gameplay is never boring. Each character plays differently in battle, and though some are broken as all hell, they’re all fun to play with. There’s also plenty of scenes that shake the gameplay up substantially, and those are all pretty neat as well.

"We all still can't get over the Mobliz chainsaw massacre..."

People praise VII for making JRPGs become more cinematic, but FFVI actually laid the groundwork for all that. The theatrical feel it has, what with its beautiful backgrounds, very expressive character sprites, and very well done tonal shifts, I really think all those FFVII fanboys have a lot to owe this game And again, the music!

You're in an opera anyway you look at it, Celes.

Before I finish, I just wanted to touch on the iOS remake. I’ve given it a shot and I really like it! The menus are streamlined, the enemy graphics are nicely redrawn, and I have to say, I really love what they did with the sprites. Now, before you start hurling all those tomatoes at me, let me explain why. Unlike those bland FFIV:CC sprites, this time around, they actually got Kazuko Shibuya to draw them. Who is Kazuko Shibuya, you ask? Well, only the person responsible for all the sprites of the SNES-era FFs. This is one of her sprite artworks:

And here’s how the sprite looks in-game:

Big kudos to Ms. Shibuya!

All things considered, FFVI is a must-play, whether you are an FF fan or not. Even if you end up not liking it, this is one big chunk of RPG history right there. I’m pretty sure JRPGs today (or dare I even say gaming in general) would look much different if it weren’t for Final Fantasy VI.

Ugh, now I’m pretty sure y'al are gonna lose your trout once you see what’s right above this game. I’ll go get the pineapple net