Me? Finish a game?
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

gXulFWR.jpg

Fun fact, the first forum I ever posted on was a Xeno forum where you was often changed to chu. Fun times. I love Xenogears and while I agree largely with your assessment of the game I find myself being a bit more forgiving than others on its flaws but perhaps that's because Xenogears was an incredibly influential title in my life.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I keep thinking I'll go back and play it one day, and the age and clunkiness will finally kill it for me, but nope.

Even watching shion play Xenogears, there's just something about it that a lot of games don't capture. It crafts a really interesting universe.

Good work on the list Fynn!

Makes me feel like I should play this game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Fair assessment of Xenogears. The only part I'd disagree with is the care when handling mature themes; a lot of the content is there for shock value. Like the Gears crucifixion a couple people have posted - it serves no purpose to the plot other than to evoke a response. There's a lot of juvenile elements of that in the game and it holds it back from being one of my all-time favorite stories. Although it's definitely up there.

I also think it's one of those games that models its form after parallels with religious literature but does not quite get at the takeaways that makes religion such an enduring part of the human experience. I'm not exactly sure what Xenogears is trying to say about the mystery of the human heart. Then again, I'm not sure any games have really done a serviceable job with religious themes just yet. The only one I can think of is Dragon Quest, which I can relate to with it's slice-of-life, everyday experience of being Catholic.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I disagree with your disagreement about the religious symbolism not being handled well. Two scenes I've ever heard you harp on and neither scene is actually important, hell the crucification scene is hardly one of the big moments in Disc 2 and largely serves as explaining Elly being taken. It lacks the symbolic significance like Xenogears' birth, the one winged angel statues, and Fei's journey largely being a parallel to some Gnostic takes of Jesus. Many of the religious names utilized are not haphazardly given out to sound cool (unlike a certain seventh installment I can talk plenty of smack about for abusing good writing for the sake of shock value) but instead bear significance to the characters role in the story. Honestly, you won't really find a series outside of maybe MegaTen that handles religion with such historical accuracy for its themes, mythology, and values.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think the fact we always get such discussions when Xenogears is involved really speaks volumes about the game's quality

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I need to play these games and beat them... SMT IV I've never even started since I have other games in the overall SMT series I'm trying to get through first. Xenogears, I just keep getting distracted by life when I play it. I'll beat it someday.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wolf Kanno and I have recently had this conversation about alignment systems in games. We agreed on one thing – it’s rarely done right. Most games I see that involve alignment systems generally boil down to a scale of “saint vs. complete asshole”. A good/evil system is very hard to work with when it comes to creating characters with actual depth. I already mentioned SMT as a game having an interesting alignment system based on a law/chaos scale. It’s a staple of that series. And yet, those games always present a pretty bleak scenario, where basically regardless of the placement on the law/chaos scale, people find ways to be assholes. And then there’s games that make that even more of a gray morality, where people do just as many heroic deeds and villainous acts in the name of upholding the law as they do when breaking the mold. One such magnificent gem is:

TACTICS OGRE: LET US CLING TOGETHER

Loads of people here are familiar with FF Tactics (oh, don’t worry – its time is coming ), but I found that the Final Fantasy fandom actually rarely mingles with the Ogre Battle fandom. FFT is partly the reason they regard us with such distaste, you know. What follows is a summary of a discussion on an Ogre Battle board concerning the PSP remake that I stumbled upon while playing this game. Before FFT, Tactics Ogre was THE Matsuno game. But then Matsuno sold out to Square and made a different, (subjectively) inferior game. Many a fan was very wary of the PSP remake, afraid that it would become FF: Tactics Ogre. Oh, the horror!

Pictured: an unspeakable abomination.

Really, though, from what I heard, the remake is a vastly superior game. I have never played the SNES original, even when it was rereleased on the PSX, and I heard the job system was changed substantially. Still, I loved what we got. It’s a bit weird in some aspects, for example, you level up jobs, not characters, so when you switch a new unit to a job you’ve leveled up to, say Lv. 14, that unit is now Lv. 14. You get to control a crapload of characters during a battle, but the enemy gets three times as many anyway, so that’s hardly an advantage. What I liked about this game was that there was a lot of story-relevant characters you could recruit, and they would still remain story-relevant, taking part in the dialogs and whatnot.

And there's heaps upon of heaps of classes. You can even have a whole army of monsters, if you wish!

Like in SMT, there’s the law, chaos and neutral route to choose from. However, the PSP version of this game introduces the World Tarot mechanic. After beating the game on one route, you get to keep playing, and you can go back to most of the previous story scenes and check out all the other possible outcomes. This is especially useful if you want to recruit all the special characters, since some of them may wind up dead or otherwise unavailable in other story-lines. So abusing some time paradoxes is necessary.

On to the story… Oh gosh. I really don’t want to spoil it for you guys. I’ll just say some general things. This is a Yasumi Matsuno game. If you come into this game knowing that, you know what to expect – a mature, politically-charged story, devoid of typical Japanese fantasy tropes. The world is usually pretty bleak, but not without hope, and your characters get caught up in all of this intrigue, suffering very much, like a real human being would. If you haven’t heard of Matsuno, let’s just say his stories are a bit like a Game of Thrones – a detailed fixation on the Medieval period with a very cynical, realistic worldview. Just with less boobs and gore. Like Martin, Matsuno usually bases his stories on real historical events. FF Tactics takes most of its inspiration from the War of the Roses, while Tactics Ogre is a fictionalization of the Yugoslavian conflict. Needless to say, the story is tangled, filled with backstabbing and betrayal. Pretty darn fantastic overall.

The impeccable localization surely helps drive the point home.

The music is done by Hitoshi Sakimoto and a couple of other guys I’m not that familiar with. If you’ve played the Ivalice games, you know what quality you can expect here.

I really recommend this game to SRPG fans, especially people who like FF Tactis, as this is kind of a spiritual predecessor to that game. Actually, the remake implements some aspects from FFT, so it’s kind of a weird hybrid at this point. I can’t vouch for the SNES version, but the PSP version is nothing short of brilliant. If you’re a Matsuno fan – what the hell are you waiting for?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh, that game. I need to play that game some time now that I have it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Oh, that game. I need to play that game some time now that I have it.
    Being the GoT fan that you are, I'm surprised you haven't done that yet.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like it but I can never get very far because some aspects of it confuse me and I can't keep up

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    I like it but I can never get very far because some aspects of it confuse me and I can't keep up
    Yeah, the system is pretty robust and easy to get lost in. If you ever decide to replay it, let me know and I'll try to help you to the best of my ability