Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Life is Strange almost had Male Protagonists

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default Life is Strange almost had Male Protagonists

Life is Strange is the a new interactive drama episodic game being released by DONTNOD entertainment and SQUARE ENIX. The game has an element of rewinding time to cause butterfly affects with the story line. The choices you make will cause rippling effects throughout the timelines. It features female protagonists, which almost didn't happen.

When DONTNOD was marketing the game to various developers, most wanted to change the main two female protagonists to male ones feeling that male would resonate more with players. It wasn't until they came upon SQUARE ENIX that they weren't told to change the character's gender.

"Square is basically the only publisher that didn't want to change a single thing about the game," DONTNOD co-founder Jean-Maxime "J-Max" Moris says in the video. "We had other publishers telling us 'Make it a male lead character,' and Square didn't even question that once."

Life is Strange is about a highschool senior who rewinds time to find out how a friend went missing. Life Is Strange will be available Jan 30th, 2015 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

What are your thoughts on how Square Enix was the only Developer that wanted to keep this episodic adventure intact?
    Last edited by Colonel Angus; 01-12-2015 at 01:57 AM.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Doesn't shock me. Square has always been fair w/ female protagonists &/or strong female characters. Parasite Eve, FFVI, FFX/X-2 are just a few games that feature one or the other. I know XV is a sausage party, so maybe they're hoping this'll balance things out.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Square enix confuses me sometimes. They do this then they have boobalicious Cidney. This is a great move though.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Square enix confuses me sometimes. They do this then they have boobalicious Cidney. This is a great move though.
    Well, just because Cidney is boobalicious it doesn't make her a weak or poor character. Everyone's making assumptions on just her look w/o getting to know the character.

Articles
    Blog Entries

GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Well, just because Cidney is boobalicious it doesn't make her a weak or poor character. Everyone's making assumptions on just her look w/o getting to know the character.
    Don't know who's been saying all that. All I see are comments that's the outfit is sexualized, stupid, etc. And I agree with that.
    Last edited by Ayen; 01-11-2015 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Sounded too sarcastic before.

Well I guess I'm definitely buying this game. I hadn't heard about the controversy over things like Remember Me until well after my girlfriend had rented it and played through the whole thing, or I would have bought that game for the same reason. I don't think I've ever heard of Square doing executive meddling into any of their side developers. Pretty sure Sleeping Dogs and the Tomb Raider reboot were allowed to do their own thing. I imagine that's how Human Revolution ended up being such a tolerable entry into the Deus Ex franchise

Edit: Actually, upon further reflection, I think I'd like to know what developers they tried first who were trying to force them to appeal to all male gamers. I doubt that information is in the video, or if they'll ever release it, but I haven't watched the video yet. About to go make dinner

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Square Enix taking it without hesitation doesn't surprise me either like others have said, but I wonder why they didn't go back to Capcom since they already accepting of a female protagonist the first time. Japanese companies in general seem to be fine with making games with female protagonists. Capcom for example had Resident Evils 1, 2, 3, and Code Veronica with female protagonists. You also have the Dino Crisis series, Tron Bonne adventures, Okami, and the face of Darkstalkers is Morrigan. Square has had FFs VI, X-2, XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3, Threads of Fate, and the Parasite Eve series all with female protagonists, not to mention the recent Tomb Raider.

I have a feeling that they go to western publishers first, because when I think about it, there aren't many western studios that have a track record with a lot of female protagonists.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Well I guess I'm definitely buying this game. I hadn't heard about the controversy over things like Remember Me until well after my girlfriend had rented it and played through the whole thing, or I would have bought that game for the same reason. I don't think I've ever heard of Square doing executive meddling into any of their side developers. Pretty sure Sleeping Dogs and the Tomb Raider reboot were allowed to do their own thing. I imagine that's how Human Revolution ended up being such a tolerable entry into the Deus Ex franchise

Edit: Actually, upon further reflection, I think I'd like to know what developers they tried first who were trying to force them to appeal to all male gamers. I doubt that information is in the video, or if they'll ever release it, but I haven't watched the video yet. About to go make dinner
    It doesn't say in the video. What's quoted in the original post is what is said in the video.

It was probably western developers. They seem to have the harder position of female leads in games.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'm just wondering who's decided that a game must have a male protagonist in order to appeal to someone who is male.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I'm just wondering who's decided that a game must have a male protagonist in order to appeal to someone who is male.
    I second this.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Nobody decided that, because that's not what the article says. I'm sure there's truth to the market research even if it isn't right.

Kudos to SE for actually going with the creators' vision.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

I didn't say that's what the article said. That wasn't really the point.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I read elsewhere that they didn't want a female protagonist because males wouldn't want to see their character kiss a male.

“We had some [publishers] that said, ‘Well, we don’t want to publish it because that’s not going to succeed. You can’t have a female character in games. It has to be a male character, simple as that.’” Moris also said of that game that the lead character’s gender “just felt right from the beginning of development,” and that changing it for marketing purposes would have “endangered the consistency of the whole game.” Apparently with Remember Me, people took issue with male gamers playing a female character who kisses a male character. “We had people tell us, ‘You can’t make a dude like the player kiss another dude in the game, that’s going to feel awkward,’” said Moris.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Two words: Mass Effect.

Go smurf yourself, anonymous publishers.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

I remember that time i vomited all over my keyboard because my shepard had sex with that beefcake down in the hangar.

I actually wanted to friendzone him but he would have none of that trout