Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect Trilogy

Articles
    Blog Entries

I always played as the soldier and still prefer 2 and 3's gameplay to 1. There were still plenty of areas where you needed to take cover to not die in 1 and the latter games just made it so much easier to do things.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

It made it more difficult to not die from three shots from the enemy when standing out in the open because there was the expectation for you to always be in cover.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Overall, it was a lot of fun and I liked it. My chief complaint is Femshep had very little in the way of interesting romance options. I romanced Liara but I'd much ratehr have romanced Jack. Jack IS bisexual game! Way to contradict yourself by not letting me be with her. Asses. Apparently only a penis can cure her trauma.

Maybe she just friendzoned you. Get over it
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Hey! Jack said she wasn't in "the Girls' Club."

Plus she would have no reason not to love my Shep. My Shepard was always very nice and supportive of Jack. Considering how Jack is in ME3, encouraging her psycho killer conditioning was the right decision.

maybe Jack just didn't like all the scars... I thought they looked nice myself.

Then again, nobody ever comments on them. Which is weird, especially in 3 where they are like, grotesquely red and inflamed. Everyone just stares at Shep like they don't see it. Maybe they're all just really polite.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

The aliens might just think that's how humans sometimes look like
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Does anybody remember who their first choices were for the ME2 endgame?

For hacking the base's machines and opening the door, who better to send than a super advanced machine? I chose Legion.
    For an experienced leader everyone would follow in the second team? Garrus.
    For a biotic to hold up the field through the nano-swarm? Jack. She was created to be a super biotic.
    For someone to guard the Normandy crew to safety? Grunt. Krogan are born meat shields.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Let's see. I think the first one was Tali, Garrus led the second team, the Asari was my biotic field, and I can't remember who the last one was.

ME3 just keeps falling apart the more I think on it.

Harbinger, the clear Big Bad of 2, has no real role in 3.

My poor Morinth becomes just another Banshee, no matter what you do. That really is a smurf You from BioWare.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah I thought ME3 was super weak for how much I loved 1 and 2. It just felt like it lacked direction. There was no sense of urgency because planets were only being assaulted during cutscenes. Otherwise you were fine to just chill and take your time on a bunch of side missions that just felt like padding. Other than the Krogan and Tali missions, I guess. Those were pretty baller.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    Yeah I thought ME3 was super weak for how much I loved 1 and 2. It just felt like it lacked direction. There was no sense of urgency because planets were only being assaulted during cutscenes. Otherwise you were fine to just chill and take your time on a bunch of side missions that just felt like padding. Other than the Krogan and Tali missions, I guess. Those were pretty baller.
    Pretty much. We wait three games to see the Reapers and they mostly just chill out in the background. Cerberus may as well be the main villains of the last game.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    ME3 just keeps falling apart the more I think on it.

Harbinger, the clear Big Bad of 2, has no real role in 3.

My poor Morinth becomes just another Banshee, no matter what you do. That really is a smurf You from BioWare.
    Unless you kill her in 2.... Like you really replaced Samara with Morinth? o.o

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've yet to complete the Trilogy. I was really impressed with ME1 despite being forced out of my comfort zone in some areas and despite some poorly designed elements like the inventory section, and the Mako sections.

I honestly didn't care for ME2, the plot was largely an excuse plot that I didn't feel really moved the story forward and I was really turnd off by how much they streamlined the gameplay to make it really feel like a typical Third-Person shooter with some dialogue tree options to make it feel like an RPG. Granted, several new cast members were awesome (Mordin anyone?) but others were duds like Miranda and the Asari options. Hell I think the DLC characters were a bit more fun than some of the actual important characters. Still the gameplay changes made going through ME2 feel a bit like a chore and everyone I've talked about the third game says it's even worse so I've been putting off finishing the series.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The second game's story does kind of fall flat when you look at the trilogy as a whole, I'll give you that.

Love the Mass Effect trilogy in general. The gameplay didn't have the depth of something like KOTOR, but the shooting was fun and it did have a lot of narrative depth. Yes, the ending was kinda weak, but everything up to that point was superb and very engaging. As far as I'm concerned Bioware created the finest and most interesting sci-fi universe since Star Wars. Maybe there are some books out there with better ones, but I've not read them. In terms of movies and games though, Mass Effect is a triumph in terms of world building and interesting characters.

I'm looking forward to see what they do with the 4th one... I'm just hoping we get to explore the aforementioned universe a bit more. Like, we've done the human thing now. We've been a human Spectre on our human spaceship fighting for humankind. And yet we all know the most awesome character was Garrus. So I'm really hoping in the next game we can be a Turian commander instead. Same formula, different culture, but still close enough to humans that it won't be completely confusing.

Doubt they'll go that route because the world is boring. But I can dream.

Yeah, while I did have good fun playing ME2 (and the whole trilogy in general) I think it did next to nothing to advance the storyline that was started in ME1. It mostly feels like one big diversion with a great part of the game being focused on Shepard helping the rest of the cast deal with their own personal issues (side quests) in order to win their favor and to ensure a better ending. It did improve a lot on the gameplay aspect over ME1 tho specially the shooting mechanics which were rather clunky on the first game.

As far as ME3 goes, I think that if it weren't for the ending (which was quite controversial and didn't work on many levels, never mind the extra content they added to it with a patch afterwards) it would have been received much better.