Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Final Fantasy XV difficult to complete in under 40/Episode Duscae Demo News

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

40 hours !!! thats way too long. it should last 5 minutes then have 40 hours worth of sidequests

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I understand their concern if they're looking to attract the average person who doesn't like to spend hours on games, but I think they're also underestimating the groups who sits through long open-world games like Skyrim just a tad bit. I don't think those people are going to bat an eyelash at 40 hours, unless there isn't anything to engage you in said open-world, which I feel is a valid concern moving forward. Whenever they get a complaint about linearity or worlds being too open they go so far in the other direction it's ridiculous. It's like they can't find a middle ground, which is sad when you take into consideration everything X-2 did.
    To be fair to SE, I believe they are meaning that the story will take about 40 hours, if you focus on that. I think 40 hours is reasonable for that. Hell, technically if you do this for FFVII you could finish within a few hours via speedrun tactics. Skyrim's speedruns are around 40 minutes.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

More like Final Fantasy XV difficult to complete in under 10 years, AM I RIGHT SQUARE ENIX?

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    To be fair to SE, I believe they are meaning that the story will take about 40 hours, if you focus on that. I think 40 hours is reasonable for that. Hell, technically if you do this for FFVII you could finish within a few hours via speedrun tactics. Skyrim's speedruns are around 40 minutes.
    Yeah, I figured they meant the main quest would be around 40 hours on a first play through which is rather standard for FF titles I'd think. What is more important is how well this story plays out and how engaging it is. You can have a 10 hour long game that feels like a chore to play through due to terrible pacing and un-engaging content and you can have a 40 hour long game which feels the exact opposite. The content and how it is presented is the key.

As far as Skyrim goes, it's main quest is indeed short, but the real draw is the open massive world of the game and the sheer volume of content and things to do it has besides the main quest (even more so with the three DLCs they put out) and how you can basically role play in any way you want. Hell, my most recent character on it hasn't touched the main quest yet and I have played over 140 hours with it so far.

But I wouldn't want Final Fantasy turning into The Elder Scrolls or vice versa. While I would like to see both improve on areas where the other excels, I am not sure I'd like for them to shift their focus.

With FFXV, despite the massive shadow that I think the XIII saga has cast on FF as a whole, I am optimistic. The more I see about it the more I feel that this is the game they should have followed XII with (which despite it's flaws I felt was a step in the right direction) as opposed to what they did with XIII. I also find the overall cast (not just the main) intriguing and despite how little information we have I already find it more compelling than XIII's.

Will be interesting to see what we get with the upcoming demo.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I understand their concern if they're looking to attract the average person who doesn't like to spend hours on games, but I think they're also underestimating the groups who sits through long open-world games like Skyrim just a tad bit. I don't think those people are going to bat an eyelash at 40 hours, unless there isn't anything to engage you in said open-world, which I feel is a valid concern moving forward. Whenever they get a complaint about linearity or worlds being too open they go so far in the other direction it's ridiculous. It's like they can't find a middle ground, which is sad when you take into consideration everything X-2 did.
    Ohh. I get ya.