Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "The Talk"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default "The Talk"

At what age do you think it's appropriate to give a kid The Sex Talk? What do you tell them? Did your parents ever give you such a talk?

I don't remember any particular talk from my mother (and sure as hell not from my father), but I'm not really decided myself. I know I'm the straight-forward type, to say the least.

BONUS! Watch parents give their kids the talk! It's gold.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's a good venue for Julie Chen to show more of her identity and really come into her own as a TV personality.

I was 7.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think my mum gave me the period talk when I was about 8 or 9 and was asking why my dogs foof was bleeding!

Never got a sex talk from my parents though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I have no idea. The closest thing I got to the talk when I was young was:

Dad: Keep your pecker in your pants.
    Mom: Wait until you're married.

I was a teenager during both statements.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Nah, I never really got a talk, just found out through some way or another. I remember my Mum was pretty open about sexual stuff from a fairly early age though.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't have children, but if I do one day I will make that decision based on time and circumstance.

As for when I got it? It was pretty weird. My school district was ahead of its time (I have no idea how it is now, so if what I'm about to say seems off or behind the times I mean more in the sense that prior to my generation sex ed wasn't really a concern/even existed from my understanding) and sex ed was very open. I was in 4th or 5th grade at the time. Classmates were too chicken to ask questions during the part where two or three teachers were roaming the room while answering questions, so they had me do it. I didn't care.

Looking back, I remember feeling pretty werided out by the teachers discussing the topic. At the time I thought it was simply because they suddenly were openly talking about sex, but now I realize it is because I saw the teachers lower their "talking to children" masks and spoke to us like adults. I'm willing to bet that they had a game plan to throw caution in the wind and just answer any question, no matter how ridiculous it was. You could totally tell some kids were taking advantage of the opportunity to say some lewd things, but the teachers played the whole thing straight the entire time.

Then randomly in 6th grade my parents told me to put a condom on if I ever had sex. Like, we were going somewhere in the car and my dad suddenly stopped at the end of the drive way. They both turned to me and started to talk about condoms. I could totally tell the felt awkward. Quote my mother, "Always wear a raincoat."

Me (joking around):"But if you did that I wouldn't be sitting here right now!"

Mom: "That's different."

Dad: "No, he's right, I really should have worn one back then."

Mom: [screams dad's name loudly]

My parents never talked to me about it. They didn't have to though because we learned about it in school from grade 6 (where we were taught about puberty) and grade 8 (our health class turned into sex ed class). Soooo yeah. All I remember was that I was really immature during the whole thing, saying 'eeew' a lot. xD

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Never. No one wants to hear from their gross parents about sex. They'll learn about it like everyone else: from the internet, their peers, television, and sex ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockharted View Post
    I think my mum gave me the period talk when I was about 8 or 9 and was asking why my dogs foof was bleeding!

Never got a sex talk from my parents though.
    Wait, what? Your dog's foot was bleeding so she talked you about periods? Wtf.

That video is hilarious and also proves that parents should not be talking to their kids about this. It's awkward, painfully awkward and uncomfortable and none of them are even close to having sex yet so inappropriate. Poor kid at 3:38 is going to throw up and I don't blame him.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Nooo, foof is a slang for lady bits

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lockharted View Post
    Nooo, foof is a slang for lady bits
    Ohhh, slang term in your motherland I suppose.

FFXIV Character

Tyson Ferrari (Sargatanas)

I never got the talk either, think dad gave me a box of condoms at one point. That was about it haha

I think it's kind of an outdated thing now. Most kids have access to the internet way before they hit puberty.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think I will probably talk about sex with my kids. Not the ins and outs of the act itself but just how important it is to be ready, and to be safe, and respectful and to just build a relationship with them where they feel comfortable and safe enough to tell me anything if they need too.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I was never given the talk. I didn't need it either.

The closest to it would probably be that one time my mother most likely heard me and my girlfriend getting it on, and then later told me "Just make sure to not make me a grandmother just yet".
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

My parents never sat me down for a "talk".

Although when I was about 8 or 9 I did ask my mom how humans "did it" and she informed me it was like how our pet guinea pigs we had did it (and they were always doing it). For some reason child-me had failed to make the connection that humans and guinea pigs did it in the same way. Yeah I don't know either.

You and me baby ain't nothin' but mammals!
    Last edited by Pike; 01-20-2015 at 11:18 AM.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I dunno what age I was. My Mum sat me and my older sister down at the same time to have a chat about it all. So at the time that it was appropriate for my sister to know, I was also lumped in there. Presumably because my Mum couldn't be bothered with the spiel twice. xD

My Mum was pretty open about sex and all that - like Locky said, not the ins and outs, but about the entire practice of being safe etc.