Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How long before you decide

Two games I legitimately want to get into since I missed the first sailing of them. Interesting

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I dropped Okami like it was hot after an hour or two but I've actually completed games I didn't like just to get my money's worth!
    Same, except I didn't play Okami. I don't typically like games that aren't easy to control either, though I'll push through it if I like the rest of the game enough because I know I'll get used to the controls. Like how troutty I was at driving for the first few hours of GTAV.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I played Bioshock Infinite for a startlingly long time before I was forced to come to the conclusion that it is not a good game. The start was genuinely interesting, but then nothing happens for an hour, and then for the next hour nothing happens in a different place, and then some more of nothing happens in another slightly different place and... ugh.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    I played Bioshock Infinite for a startlingly long time before I was forced to come to the conclusion that it is not a good game. The start was genuinely interesting, but then nothing happens for an hour, and then for the next hour nothing happens in a different place, and then some more of nothing happens in another slightly different place and... ugh.
    Sounds like the same experience I had in the original BioShock.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, it was similar, but at the time it was new and exciting enough that I stuck with it.

I wish I hadn't. Only good Shock game was System Shock 2.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Case by case basis for me, but I can usually tell very quickly how I'll feel about a game in a general sense.

Blog Entries

Depends on the game and what I don't like about it! Although I'm pretty damn picky about games and I don't even play ones I do like

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

Anything with a generic story. I feel like I have kind of grown out of gaming really, since it generally involves too much time doing the same repetitive thing. I'd find games like Dark Souls, Skyrim, Diablo - mostly RPGs would be a waste of my time today. If a game focuses on you to kill baddies to collect virtual weapons and level up an avatar then I just don't see the point anymore. If I'm going to 'work', then I'd rather grind my way through a textbook and I might have a decent certificate at the end, with the chance of a new career pathway. =P

I mostly revolve my gaming experiences today to those you can just pick up and play. I'll save the idea of storytelling to formats that deliver it on a grander scale like movies. So I'm sticking to racing games, and I'll play some of the free ones in my Playstation Plus subscription for 5-10 minutes.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I am the exact opposite, Leigh If I don't like the gameplay mechanics then it doesn't matter how good the story is, I'm probably not gonna finish it. See: The Bioshock games.

It's interesting that you brought up Skyrim; it may not have the best story in the world but when it comes to lore and the world I maintain that you cannot top The Elder Scrolls. To be fair though I think you need to have a sort of "base" in the elder TES games to see that, because it's kind of buried.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Maybe I am old-fashioned, but I still think the prime ingredient of a game is the gameplay . It's nice to have everything else too, but if it's a chore to play, it won't be played. If you make a game that is a chore to play but has a good story and everything else, then maybe you should have made a movie or at most an interactive story. I'm not even against things that are interactive stories, it's perfectly fine to like that sort of thing too, but I think it's easier if you just call it what it is .

Another thing is that I think an interesting world with interesting lore is going to do more for my immersion than the story of the game will. I'm pretty interested in the whole immersion thing.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Definitely agreed with your last paragraph. I do like stories in games but for me gameplay is first, followed by world/lore (so I can invent my own story and characters!)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Definitely agreed with your last paragraph. I do like stories in games but for me gameplay is first, followed by world/lore (so I can invent my own story and characters!)
    best part of dayz! Its all your story. If you choose to have a story. But that's why I pay on role play servers.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Maybe I am old-fashioned, but I still think the prime ingredient of a game is the gameplay . It's nice to have everything else too, but if it's a chore to play, it won't be played. If you make a game that is a chore to play but has a good story and everything else, then maybe you should have made a movie or at most an interactive story. I'm not even against things that are interactive stories, it's perfectly fine to like that sort of thing too, but I think it's easier if you just call it what it is .

Another thing is that I think an interesting world with interesting lore is going to do more for my immersion than the story of the game will. I'm pretty interested in the whole immersion thing.
    It'll be no surprise to you then that my most favourite game in the past 10 years is Heavy Rain then? :P

I would love to be more like Pike, because I imagine I would find video games a lot more enjoyable. But I find the lore so dry. Skyrim for example was a massive world, but it didn't feel particularly alive. But most WRPGs are based on high fantasy-fiction, usually set in a setting inspired by our own vision of the middle-ages. High Fantasy literature makes me cringe at the best of times though, so that is just my personal preference on my reasons I dislike Skyrim. Skyrim still feels very much like a 'quest' orientated experience though.

- Go To Cave
    - Kill stuff in cave
    - Return with 10 mysterious spider legs
    - Recieve shiny armour or magick sword.
    - Visit the temple of Heimdallr.
    - Talk to Völundarkviða
    - Repeat Kill Stuff In Cave...

As for discovering the lore in the form of random books scattered around the land - there is only so many virtual pages I can suffer before my eyes gloss over with sheer boredom. I don't know about you, but I am a bit sick of the whole 'For creating character names in Fantasy, refer to Old Norse orthography...

Ironically, I have no problem reading textbooks on our own history. Haha!

People can play games however they want, as long as they get happiness from it. I would just have though that for people wanting to create their own story and characters, wouldn't RPG maker suit you better?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

See, this is why you need to play Morrowind. It's a fantasy world filled with giant bugs, false gods, Hindi mythology, volcanoes, Arabic architecture, giant hollowed out crab shells, and vaguely Welsh names.

Honorable mentions go to Planescape Torment, Deus Ex, Diablo and Fallout.

Actually thinking about it I don't think any of my favorite RPGs are "generic Western fantasy". I tend to find that setting pretty boring. World of Warcraft is maybe an exception but WoW is still filled with things like interdimensional spaceships and giant mechas. Elder Scrolls is similar (there's tons of "space lore") but to be fair you're not gonna find it if you just play Skryim. It's stuffed away pretty tightly in the older games.
    Last edited by Pike; 01-24-2015 at 06:53 PM.

FFXIV Character

I think the only reason I like jRPGs was because they are hardly like RPGs at all. Hehe! I'm more interest in how characters interact with each other. Many RPGs feel more like you're interracting with colleagues. You're hired or voluntary help. When all is said and done, I find human interest stories more interesting rather than environment stories. It wouldn't have mattered to me if Lord of the Rings was a fantasy epic about destroying an evil ring, or if it was set in modern day Manchester and a man's struggle with borderline personality disorder. It's the virtues found in the interaction between the characters and how they deal with these events. Skullbashing undead skeletons not so much! =P Psychology - Emotions - Love conquers all, blah blah blah! :P

This
    Surviving-High-School-iPhone_2.jpg

Vs

This
    9023-1-1329583642.jpg

I choose the first one... =P
    Last edited by Leigh; 01-24-2015 at 07:26 PM.