Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default How long before you decide

That you don't like a game? Do you play the whole game? Only a few hours worth? Turn it off almost instantly?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't need long to decide when I'm not going to like a game. That happens when I'm not having fun playing it. If I'm not having fun playing it, which is the most basic requirement a game should fulfill, why should I keep playing it? Answer: I shouldn't. So I turn the game off and go back to games that I do enjoy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Depends.

If it's a game where people have told me it's good I will continue to reserve my judgment until I'm done with it. I like to be able to understand why people call it good even if I disagree myself.

If it's a game I picked up myself without hearing any positive second opinions I'll be prone to dropping it much more quickly. Even if I don't plan on dropping it, the lack of a second opinion I trust means that I really need good motivation to continue and as soon as that goes unfulfilled I just won't pick it back up. This also happens if I get outright bored with a game. Doesn't happen often, but nothing kills motivation more than that.

That said, since I almost exclusively pick the games I play based on recommendation and good reputation I have rarely encountered the latter case. Whenever it's a game or VN people talk passionately about, I commit to finishing it in its entirety. I've been witness to too many instances where the last 2-3 hours of game time completely changed everything.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

If the game isn't actually fun to play after around 2-4 hours, I'm not likely to finish it at all.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Depends on the game. Usually I give it a few hours. Sometimes I'm determined to finish it anyway just so I can say I did. 30 hours into Oblivion

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually very rarely drop games. It's something I spent money on - Imma stick to it. Unless I get sick. I mean literally. I could not finish Morrowind because I started feeling nauseous while playing it for some reason, and I really liked that game

Blog Entries

Sometimes I will play through games I don't like just so that my opinion isn't refuted by somebody because "I didn't beat the game." Yes, I know it's kinda stupid to do that, but you should see the reactions I get.

Although if I hate a game enough, I'll still force my way through about half of it, at least. Unless it's a really bad RPG. Some games are hilariously bad, so this helps.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

It depends on what I don't like about the game, really. If it is something story related, like Star Ocean 2, I generally won't decide I don't enjoy the title until it becomes unbearable, which can be fairly late in. On the other hand, if the issue is mechanical it usually shows up early and I'm unfortunately quick to turn away from a title if that's the case, usually within the first hour.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I can tell within the first few hours from the overall personality and feel whether a title clicks with me or not. I usually stick with it, though, as I haven't encountered a truly unplayable game since the NES days and I only buy games that I know have something interesting to string me along for the ride. The only time I will really drop something is if I bought it for pennies on a Steam sale out of sheer curiosity and I'm finding that it's just not worth the time.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Some games don't grab me at all. I played about half an hour of Bioshock Infinite. Some games I give a lot more time to. Sometimes I power through things anyway, though not often anymore. Some games only reveal their weaknesses after a considerable amount of time (Endless Space is a good example of this).

Articles
    Blog Entries

About two to three hours in Dark Souls had killed my interest. On one hand, I can certainly see the appeal and would argue it's a very well-designed game. I love difficult games, but I think had Dark Souls been more about character advancement and strategy rather than simple trial-and-error and reflexes, I would enjoy it much better.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I dropped Okami like it was hot after an hour or two but I've actually completed games I didn't like just to get my money's worth!

There are games that just don't grab me, but I don't usually drop them for not being good. Just not being my style, and they don't tend to leave any taste in my mouth to remember for discussions on this topic. And yet there are bad or disappointing games that I'll play a good 5 or 10 hours of before finally deciding that they suck.

Something like Halo, to me is just meh. I gave a couple of them a try. I beat the first one. But on the whole they're just not for me. And generally you'd never hear me say much about it other than that. Unless I'm in a space where a bunch of people are jizzing about how awesome it is, then I might pipe up and explain that they're not really that great

Then there's things like Star Ocean - The Last Hope where I was genuinely interested and invested, and the game just totally let me down. Those are the games where I sink 10 or so hours in, hoping and praying they'll turn around and make the investment worth it. Those are the games where I'll go on a rant about how wasteful they were with all the potential they had. I rarely complete games that I think are bad, but for some ass-backwards reason, those bad games that offend me are the ones I sink the most hours into before giving up. Bleh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I dropped Okami like it was hot after an hour or two but I've actually completed games I didn't like just to get my money's worth!

That legitimately breaks my heart, because it's not only one of the best looking games ever created, it's also very rewarding once you get past the first couple hours.

Plus, it stomps all over every Zelda game after OoT.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Same! Bayonetta too.