Thread: The Internet Is Pretty Cool

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    ****ing blow me. No, I'm not bitter.
    Don't worry, we're all exactly as not bitter as you are.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

EoFF alone has dictated much of my life. Beyond that, not so sure. It's certainly allowed me to be more up to date with what is going on with the world.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    If it wasn't for the invention of the microchip, I would have said the Internet is the best and most important invention since the telegraph itself.
    We've come a long way since sliced bread.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

One of my jobs is done via the internet. Making money is pretty cool.

Yep, like many people here, Bubba and I met online. In fact our first date was 2 years and 3 months ago today exactly! Back then I wouldn't have guessed that we'd be here now- engaged,buying a house and having a baby! Crazy stuff!

I love the internet. Yes, I'm probably a bit addicted to Twitter and Facebook and such. I love having so much knowledge at my fingertips and knowing I can type a few words into google and all the answers I need are just there! Ofcourse this can backfire somewhat when you become your own doctor and start typing symptoms into google and diagnose yourself with all kind of dreadful, life-threatening diseases!

But all in all- the internet is great!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I'm addicted to it. Very addicted. So yeah it's the bees knees.

Blog Entries

Its cool. I like to waste time on it
    for the most part it just makes me hate more than I'd like though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    My current boyfriend of 3 years is the result of this forum so I'm gonna say good things. I use the Internet daily

What I dislike is that the Internet has made everyone want online applications, whereas I prefer to hand in an application in person and speak to the hiring peeps
    Before I got my current job, after no results for several months with applying for jobs online, I decided to go around handing out my resume to local day care centers... People looked at me like I had lost my mind.
    Though I never had to deal with this personally, but I have seen this in action, it kills me that older people think "yer on the computor all day not applyin fer them REAL jobs." If one tries to explain to them that it isn't the 70s anymore, and you can't just barge into places and demand a job, you are a lazy slacker that wants the whole world handed to you. "Work hard and you'll get rewarded."

****ing blow me. No, I'm not bitter.
    I've literally tried handing in applications in person. They all and say "go online". It's annoying. They give you like 40 minute long applications to fill out of stuff you already have ON YOUR RESUME and then it takes forever for the person to see it and its in there with like a million others

It's just made getting jobs harder in general, I find. It's good if you want something long distance because you're moving soon or something, otherwise it's just a pain

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've tried handing in applications offline and I get looked at like I've got two heads. And this was several years ago now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    how has the Internet affected you, personally? Has it had much of an effect, or has it been fairly unimportant?
    4chan, Newgrounds, SomethingAwful, YTMND, and GameFAQs LUE probably had a bigger effect on my upbringing than anyone I had ever met in real life outside of tragic events. I changed drastically in just a few months, being introduced to all these new ideas and crazy personalities immediately after a life without internet. Mostly 4chan. It was an intense and fascinating time for me. The internet was also my introduction to many other concepts that had a big impact and my experiences with them are held very dear to me. The internet introduced me to anime and manga, and otaku culture. The internet introduced me to flash animation, and the entire subculture resulting from it. It allowed me to see other parts of the world, and how different things were. It expanded my view of the world in every way possible.

The internet allowed me to study. I had a vast wealth of information at my fingertips. It allowed to delve into philosophy, epistemology, astronomy (which at the time I thought was the same as cosmology), ethics and logic, metaphysical sciences, music theory, architecture, electrical engineering, computer science and programming, carpentry, all sorts of literature, and gave me the opportunity to familiarize myself with other languages and cultures, all of which I made an effort to use to their full advantage in the time I had. I was interested in everything, and wanted to make myself into a human library.

I saw badgers and mushrooms. I saw 3D dancing babies, dancing hamsters, and even a dancing banana. I saw demotivational pictures. I saw animutations and magical puppets. I saw Homestar Runner and Joe Cartoons. I saw a band consisting of people who may or may not be giants. I saw a lot of people failing at things, one of whom had an afro and nunchaku. I saw a man wearing a homemade Tron costume. I saw a fat Chinese kid's face edited over the Mona Lisa. I saw a lot of pictures of a certain Sesame Street character in some incriminating scenes. I saw people speaking with numbers in place of letters. I saw many, MANY people being compared to Hitler.

The internet introduced me to many hobbies I still enjoy to this day. Origami, gigantic LEGO sculptures, model planes, etc. It showed me drawing and painting techniques that I may not have been able to learn for years otherwise, and as a result got to practice them longer. Likewise for martial arts.

Some of the things I saw in my early days on the internet influence who I am to this very day. It showed me absolutely terrible things that happen all over the world, and just how many horrible people there really are in the world. It also taught me how to accept all the good and bad things that happen to myself and others as circumstance, how to help others when their circumstances require it, and how to get past my own circumstances and look to the future.

The internet taught me how2meme and how2satire. It brought me closer together with those who shared similar ideals, similar interests, or similar tastes in humor, regardless of how different we may be otherwise.

The internet taught me I'm special, and also that I'm exactly the same as everyone else.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought the internet was pretty cool until I discovered 4chan.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I thank the internet for my mental health being mostly ok. I'm a super creepy hermit lady and before the internet became a mainstream thing people like me just got weirder and weirder as they spent more time alone and then they get flack for being weird so they spent even more time alone until there was basically no hope of having any "normal" interaction with another human being. I'm still pretty just all wrong but now that doesn't actually have to be a bad thing all the time. I feel like the internet has made people more accepting of weirdness.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I lost 400 pounds in 30 seconds. Thanks, Internet!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by G13 View Post
    I lost 400 pounds in 30 seconds. Thanks, Internet!
    Didn't know you were dealing in British currency!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This is a nice community and I met my wife here so that alone had a profound impact on my life. Other than that, I probably don't visit 'websites' or participate in the internet culture all that much but in terms of buying things (Amazon, eBay, etc.) and communicating with people (Gmail), the internet is an integrated part of my every day life.

To truly understand how connected you are, try going without internet for an otherwise 'normal' week. I bet most of us could do without their EoFF, Facebook, Wikipedia, or other surfing sites, but could you go a week without email? GPS navigation? Looking up every small problem you come across?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum