Thread: The Internet Is Pretty Cool

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default The Internet Is Pretty Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Most traditional communications media including telephone, music, film, and television are being reshaped or redefined by the Internet, giving birth to new services such as voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) and Internet Protocol television (IPTV). Newspaper, book, and other print publishing are adapting to website technology, or are reshaped into blogging and web feeds. The Internet has enabled and accelerated new forms of human interactions through instant messaging, Internet forums, and social networking. Online shopping has boomed both for major retail outlets and small artisans and traders. Business-to-business and financial services on the Internet affect supply chains across entire industries.
    We all use the Internet to a greater or lesser extent (probably greater because we're posting nerdy stuff about our nerdy video games like big fat nerds), but how has the Internet affected you, personally? Has it had much of an effect, or has it been fairly unimportant?

For me, it's provided me with a couple of girlfriends and now my fiancee, so some very important relationships relied on it. I've made friends around the world, and I'd like to think my exposure to a broader section of humankind has helped me be a better person. Obviously I can access just about any media imaginable in one form or another, and the number of things I couldn't access within about an hour are tiny, mostly really big videogames. That's... remarkable, when you sit and think about it. Truly remarkable. Right now I'm posting on this forum, reading Wikipedia, I've got a Cracked article in another tab, I'm listening to Spotify, I'm talking to Pike on IMs, and idly playing a digitally distributed videogame. Now granted, I could have done most of these in one form or another without it, but this is all in a couple of windows on a single device.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

My current boyfriend of 3 years is the result of this forum so I'm gonna say good things. I use the Internet daily

What I dislike is that the Internet has made everyone want online applications, whereas I prefer to hand in an application in person and speak to the hiring peeps

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post

For me, it's provided me with a couple of girlfriends and now my fiancee...
    Jesus man, you're not supposed to talk about your side girls in public!

As for a more serious reply, I can't really put it better than you can or do anything other than elaborate more on my personal tastes. I remember ages ago when I first encountered the internet thinking that it was going to grow and change the world drastically. Seems like a boring prediction today, but I remember a lot of people saying it was a fad and was the modern CB radio.

What's an internet?

It's basically provided me with entertainment when I'm not destroying my back at work or destroying my brain in college. Nothing too life-changing really. I'm almost thinking about trying an online dating site, but I don't really have the money to pay for it (like I said, college student. What money? ) and I have a feeling free dating sites have more sketchy characters.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post

Nah, Pike already knows about them. It's my side boys I need to keep quiet.

Free games, free TV, free music and free movies mostly.

:monster:

It's provided me with countless entertainment, not to mention the ability to stream nearly any movies and TV I want plus tons of free music and the resultant discovery of nearly every album I've bought in the past ten years. Oh, and basically every relationship I've ever had or am likely to have resulted in some way or other internet. On the other hand it's also provided me with a lot of time wasted on frivolous pursuits that could have been better spent on advancing my career or fixing politics or something. So it's a mixed bag.
    Last edited by The Man; 01-20-2015 at 11:13 PM.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Articles
    Blog Entries

The internet is responsible for me no longer parroting my church and learning how to think for myself, and it's where most of my friends are, so... the internet has been pretty great to me.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You said you would maintain confidentiality dude. Jesus why did you go and have to say something! Now I'll have to explain to Paul that you're just a bit on the side and mean nothing to me, like all those women he hates!

When I was ~9 I used to download AMV's. That's the only positive I can think of, and negative thinking is not allowed. Negative thinking will get your ass kicked.

sick...

The Internet has been responsible for much of the education I have undertaken since the end of high school. I attended college for a few sporadic semesters, but a lot of the more complex knowledge I have comes from Internet research.

I sill prefer books though cuz the smell of ink and paper is nostalgic to me

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    My current boyfriend of 3 years is the result of this forum so I'm gonna say good things. I use the Internet daily

What I dislike is that the Internet has made everyone want online applications, whereas I prefer to hand in an application in person and speak to the hiring peeps
    Before I got my current job, after no results for several months with applying for jobs online, I decided to go around handing out my resume to local day care centers... People looked at me like I had lost my mind.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post

Before I got my current job, after no results for several months with applying for jobs online, I decided to go around handing out my resume to local day care centers... People looked at me like I had lost my mind.
    Though I never had to deal with this personally, but I have seen this in action, it kills me that older people think "yer on the computor all day not applyin fer them REAL jobs." If one tries to explain to them that it isn't the 70s anymore, and you can't just barge into places and demand a job, you are a lazy slacker that wants the whole world handed to you. "Work hard and you'll get rewarded."

****ing blow me. No, I'm not bitter.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

If it wasn't for the invention of the microchip, I would have said the Internet is the best and most important invention since the telegraph itself.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?