Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the XIII Characters... particularly Snow

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    These are the questions that keep me up at night. How many chocobos does he have in that hair anyway?
    You'll have a better chance answering the old scholastic question of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Snow is awful. Of course, Hope, Vanille, and Fang are also awful. And Lightning isn't great.
    Wrong, wrong, super wrong, super wrong, and wrong.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    That's no way to talk about yourself.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    People take Snow way too seriously. Once you look back at him after a while, you learn to love him for being the big dumb goofball that he is. Also, his lines around the point where all six members have just united for the first time are particularly great.
    What if I just hate big dumb goofballs.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Snow is an idiot. While I don't hate him, his lines are cringeworthy. He does not behave like an adult, even a fun-loving one, would.

And ToriJ's right. Sabin did all you guys praise Snow for, but did it first, did it better, and did it with way more subtlety than any of the writers on FFXIII could ever comprehend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Snow is awful. Of course, Hope, Vanille, and Fang are also awful. And Lightning isn't great.
    Vanille actually might be the single worst character in any RPG I've ever played.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Fynn, I think you are mistaking "This character loves fun" with "This character is fun". I consider Snow to be lots of fun. As for Sabin doing it better, I disagree, he wasn't the big dumb goofball. He was far from a goofball. Sure, he was strong, he occasionally did dumb, but I honestly think that if Snow and Sabin were completely switched and Snow did all the things he did in 2D as part of the FFVI party then nobody would have blinked, and if Sabin did the things he did in 3D as part of the XIII party then people would have critiqued him for it. For some reason, people can handle a lot of fun in 2D but the moment you put that same slapstick into a 3D game like XIII people start taking the game too seriously and start crying foul.

PS. I really like Sabin, too. But the two are very different, only linked by being blonde, muscular, using their fists and not incredibly intelligent. I think their personalities are definitely different.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nobody's crying foul because of their being some silliness and "slapstick" (I don't think that means what you think it means if you're using it to describe Snow) in a 3D game. They're crying foul because Snow was a complete idiot and was anything but fun.

He was just one of the many characters in that game that never reacts believably to anything that happens. And it's not even just him being in denial, he is literally so stupid that he doesn't realize the trout that's happening to him should bother him a bit. He wasn't a fun loving character keeping a sense of humour in the face of adversity. He was an idiot goof off that didn't seem to notice anything bad was even happening.

Just add him to the pile of half assed writing in that game. The whole thing was a rush job and it shows.

Nobody expects an FF to be 100% serious and nobody wants an FF to be 100% serious. That's not even remotely the problem with the game. If anything, FFXIII spends entirely too much time taking itself seriously which makes characters like Snow and Vanille stand out even more as being so completely out of place because they never take any of it seriously, even when they probably should.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Nobody's crying foul because of their being some silliness and "slapstick" (I don't think that means what you think it means if you're using it to describe Snow) in a 3D game. They're crying foul because Snow was a complete idiot and was anything but fun.

He was just one of the many characters in that game that never reacts believably to anything that happens. And it's not even just him being in denial, he is literally so stupid that he doesn't realize the trout that's happening to him should bother him a bit. He wasn't a fun loving character keeping a sense of humour in the face of adversity. He was an idiot goof off that didn't seem to notice anything bad was even happening.

Just add him to the pile of half assed writing in that game. The whole thing was a rush job and it shows.

Nobody expects an FF to be 100% serious and nobody wants an FF to be 100% serious. That's not even remotely the problem with the game. If anything, FFXIII spends entirely too much time taking itself seriously which makes characters like Snow and Vanille stand out even more as being so completely out of place because they never take any of it seriously, even when they probably should.
    Couldn't have put it better myself. Trying to make a character less serious never justifies poor writing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    stuff
    All I'm hearing is "rah rah rah I don't like FFXIII, everything about it is terrible, like I always say."

You're saying he was anything but fun, but I know a lot of people who feel completely the opposite. I know a number of people who would buy a game with him as the lead character!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The thing about Snow is that clearly it was not the intention of the writers that he should be an idiot. They way red someone that comes off as passionate, determined, positive, inspiring. Except in this particular context, it backfires, quite cringe-inducingly. A perfect example of terrible writing ruining a character that could have worked. In general, the writing in FFXIII is a huge disappointment because there's so much potential in the concepts that it could have really been a better story in the proper hands.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    The thing about Snow is that clearly it was not the intention of the writers that he should be an idiot. They way red someone that comes off as passionate, determined, positive, inspiring. Except in this particular context, it backfires, quite cringe-inducingly. A perfect example of terrible writing ruining a character that could have worked. In general, the writing in FFXIII is a huge disappointment because there's so much potential in the concepts that it could have really been a better story in the proper hands.
    I don't care what they intended (and I won't make assumptions about it, but it would be strange if they wanted him to not be seen as an idiot at the same time as making him get punched and wall-faced repeatedly throughout the game), I care what I got in the game. Snow was awesome for me. Initially I disliked him but over time he just grew on me more and more. I didn't care for him in battle (which is weird as I love playing tank roles in MMOs) but his general personality won me over in the end. I do agree that FFXIII in general could have been better than it was when it came to the writing, but Snow? Snow was fine for me. I know a lot of people who feel similarly. He clearly divides opinion, but I found him to be the most fun character and was always interested in what he'd do/say next.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Am I the only one here who didn't terribly care about the quality of the writing? xD I have enjoyed a lot of things with poor writing. Plenty of other FF games come to mind

Apologies that I'm continuing to derail the thread.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would t care about writer intent either, if it weren't for the fact that this is an obvious fumble. If you can enjoy it - good for you. Things like that prevent me from enjoying things like this, however.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Am I the only one here who didn't terribly care about the quality of the writing? xD I have enjoyed a lot of things with poor writing. Plenty of other FF games come to mind

Apologies that I'm continuing to derail the thread.
    I might have been able to forgive the terrible writing if the rest of the game wasn't just as bad. The only redeeming qualities it held for me were a couple of songs on the soundtrack. Not a good reason to keep playing a game, let alone enjoy it.