absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Snow is awful. Of course, Hope, Vanille, and Fang are also awful. And Lightning isn't great.
    Wrong, wrong, super wrong, super wrong, and wrong.
    Vanille actually might be the single worst character in any RPG I've ever played.
    You are so wrong that you are Hyper Hitler Mk. 2.0

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like XIII just fine. I like Vanille a lot. I don't like Snow. I mean, in real life I would like him fine because while he has his cringeworthy moments, he's a nice guy to the core and you know he'd be there for you

But in game I got really annoyed by a lot of the things he would just say when I'm trying to get through town with people trying to kill me. Just please Snow. Stop. Please

Blog Entries

I'm fine with Snow, because Sazh is a stupid stereotype with birds in his hair, and Lightning, Vanille, and Hope were super annoying and lame (especially Hope, come back when your balls drop, little boy). Fang and Snow were pretty much the only non-annoying characters in the game. While Snow had a monopoly on dumb, he wasn't monotone or stereotypical on top of it. You got Fang too late in the game to even matter, so it's almost like she never existed to begin with. But when you do get her, wow.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Fine, I'll add my opinion...

Hope: no
    Snow: ugh
    Sazh: meh
    Lightning: fine
    Fang: yes
    Vanille: <333

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    He does not behave like an adult, even a fun-loving one, would.
    This, I think, is what's at the core of the dislike for him. He just seems to be completely void of any sort of logical sense, or concept of cause and effect. Not even legitimately dumb (but still smart enough to function independently in society) people would behave like Snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    He clearly divides opinion, but I found him to be the most fun character and was always interested in what he'd do/say next.
    For me, this usually went down like this:

"Oh please Snow don't say or do anything stupid now"
    "No no no! Just shut your stupid face!"
    "Stand back! Don't move!"
    "Aw trout here we go again."
    Last edited by Mirage; 01-21-2015 at 08:15 PM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Snow is the best because Troy Baker is the best and his theme song sounds like Dynasty Warriors music, which also happens to be the best. Admittedly flimsy reasoning but it's Final Fantasy XIII, they didn't exactly set the bar high.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Fynn, I think you are mistaking "This character loves fun" with "This character is fun". I consider Snow to be lots of fun. As for Sabin doing it better, I disagree, he wasn't the big dumb goofball. He was far from a goofball. Sure, he was strong, he occasionally did dumb, but I honestly think that if Snow and Sabin were completely switched and Snow did all the things he did in 2D as part of the FFVI party then nobody would have blinked, and if Sabin did the things he did in 3D as part of the XIII party then people would have critiqued him for it. For some reason, people can handle a lot of fun in 2D but the moment you put that same slapstick into a 3D game like XIII people start taking the game too seriously and start crying foul.

PS. I really like Sabin, too. But the two are very different, only linked by being blonde, muscular, using their fists and not incredibly intelligent. I think their personalities are definitely different.
    If they wanted good slapstick then they should have allowed the voice actors to use their god given talent to make it not come across as cringeworthy. Troy Baker is probably the best VA in the business right now and they completely waste him just like they waste everything else that could have been good in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    stuff
    All I'm hearing is "rah rah rah I don't like FFXIII, everything about it is terrible, like I always say."

You're saying he was anything but fun, but I know a lot of people who feel completely the opposite. I know a number of people who would buy a game with him as the lead character!
    So? You know people who like him. I know people who dislike him. What's your point?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

sadly nobody stopped at the Frocobo statement

( i like how half of this thread is literaly just an argument about snow.)

ok this is a fact proven.... Snow is a very minor character in FF VII so there! now whatever you say affects this ice woman. please don't fight.. if not for me or yourselves. then for this woman.. who happens to be an enemy.. but still!

Last edited by Galuf; 01-22-2015 at 01:30 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Don't worry, Grunt, this is just a regular weekday for us. No one is taking anything said personally. At least I hope not. My anger is only directed at inanimate objects, and non-existent people, and video game companies, and movie companies, and TV stations, and the GOP, and the NRA, and the Tea Party-- *goes on a tangent listing things he hates*

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    If they wanted good slapstick then they should have allowed the voice actors to use their god given talent to make it not come across as cringeworthy. Troy Baker is probably the best VA in the business right now and they completely waste him just like they waste everything else that could have been good in that game.
    I watched an interview with Troy Baker somewhere where he said that XIII is actually what really kick started his career as a video game voice actor. Something to think about I guess.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I watched an interview with Troy Baker somewhere where he said that XIII is actually what really kick started his career as a video game voice actor. Something to think about I guess.
    I don't see what there is to think about. My issue isn't with the voice actors, it's how they were used. They were given limited material to work with, that isn't a reflection on their acting ability or anything. And kick starting someone's career doesn't make a game good.
    Last edited by Ayen; 01-22-2015 at 05:55 AM.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I should just say that it's just interesting to think about to me. He was really appreciative of Square in that interview just because they were the ones that really gave him a chance in a big role like that. It helped put him on the map. That won't change that you don't like his voice work in this game (I think it's fine... it just sounds like Troy Baker. The lines aren't necessarily great, but his voice is great even here in my opinion. That's just me though). I just find it interesting is all.

Edit: I also was in no way trying to insinuate that it makes the game good or anything. Was just throwing that tidbit out there.

Editra: I was just quoting your thing because it suddenly reminded me of that interview when I read it. The point I'm trying to make through my edits was that I wasn't meaning to try to argue against your post or anything.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Thanks for clearing that up. I just didn't understand what you meant by that post initially.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

oh well thats lol. you just simply moved the part of the thread with the snow argument in it. you have saved Wolf kanno's soul and he can then proceed to choose FF XIII as number 1 hated RPG and...stuff

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    I should just say that it's just interesting to think about to me. He was really appreciative of Square in that interview just because they were the ones that really gave him a chance in a big role like that. It helped put him on the map. That won't change that you don't like his voice work in this game (I think it's fine... it just sounds like Troy Baker. The lines aren't necessarily great, but his voice is great even here in my opinion. That's just me though). I just find it interesting is all.

Edit: I also was in no way trying to insinuate that it makes the game good or anything. Was just throwing that tidbit out there.

Editra: I was just quoting your thing because it suddenly reminded me of that interview when I read it. The point I'm trying to make through my edits was that I wasn't meaning to try to argue against your post or anything.
    I thought it was Kanji?