Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Console vs PC gaming?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Hmm, they are much higher than they used to be. Probably about double what they were last time I put together a PC for anyone. They'll undoubtedly fall again though if the reason for the increase is something relatively short term like a flood or an earthquake.
    The bigger issue is that we're in a weird transition time when DDR3 is being phased out, so prices aren't going to get any lower via economies of scale, since production will only decline. DDR4, meanwhile, still has quite a premium on it and adoption will be slow since an X99 motherboard and compatible CPU are similarly expensive. It's going to be a while.

Still, you can get away with a weaker processor and less RAM since games generally are not constricted by either. The only games that actually push system hardware, the Witchers, Metros, and Crysi of the industry are few and far between and there's such a huge gap between them and everything else that people actually play on their PCs. Honestly, one might be okay for multiplatform games with one of the weaker systems we're talking about, since the consoles are running tablet CPUs and have very little memory to allocate to the system.

That said, once developers start really nailing optimization with their second or third game, you're going to need considerably higher hardware to match console performance. John Carmack once infamously stated that PCs need roughly double the specs of consoles to hit similar benchmarks. That's why I think there is still some validity to your original impressions, Vyk, because if someone builds a cost-cutting PC, they open themselves to being left behind or having to make several interdependent upgrades rather quickly. If someone really wants to surpass consoles, maxing out games and going beyond 1080p or 60Hz (or both), you really have to commit on a $1k+ machine that will hold up on its own for a few years, and then a few years after that via easy upgrades and overclocking.

At least that's why I did

I think that PC master race crap is what gives us few pc gamers a bad name. We shouldn't be doing that it just makes us sound conceited and arrogant. It'll make all of our arguments just be illogical and stupid if keep calling ourselves the pc master race and then call those who use consoles "peasants". I have both and love both equally, I can pros and cons of both. But to say call anyone who uses pc or console better than the other is just straight up stupid and not necessary. I can say that pride will come before the fall. Eventually that little PC elitist or Console bureaucrat will find that someone from either side will best them in games and they might just regret saying they're better than everyone else.

Yeah, I guess RAM is $60 now instead of $30.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Yeah, I guess RAM is $60 now instead of $30.
    I may have to re-investigate, but it was like $80 for a stick when I looked and going 8gigs of RAM was like $120 or something. So going state of the art was like a $300 investment just for RAM. But again, I was trying to outpace consoles and my current computer at everything, rather than focusing on a GPU and then just getting by with the rest. So its likely I wasn't looking at the right cards for my intentions and I was being mildly unreasonable in my expectations

Since I played such a large role in derailing this, I should clarify: If I could afford a console, I'd still get a console, especially for exclusive games. PC is just my choice if I'm forced to choose.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Both. Both is good.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Blog Entries

I will buy my kids consoles if they want them. Or my dad. But I will never personally get one for myself again.

I'm a little disappointed that there's no "handheld" option, because that would get my vote.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

a handheld console is a console!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

Pick the one with the games that appeal the most to you. It seems that people argue because they are having to justify their economic decision more than anything. The experience, with the exception of the more technical elements of modding, are essentially the same. Box of light - press a button - visual stimuli of the ages. If we want to compare different mediums - then throw a holdeck into the equation and then I can start to take the discussion semi-seriously.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Depends on the game to be honest. If I'm playing something like an FPS I actually prefer the controls of a 360 controller because they feel more natural to me. Sorry PC master race but your keyboard and mouse controls aren't as intuitive as you'd have people believe. My 360 controller offers me greater control and triggers what make sense when shooting.

If however, I'm playing an RTS or City Builder then it's more intuitive to use a mouse as it gives a level of precision I find useful.

As for me, I play games on both my laptop and my 360 equally. However, my expenditure for my next gaming device will be a Xbox One not a Gaming PC.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Depends on the game to be honest. If I'm playing something like an FPS I actually prefer the controls of a 360 controller because they feel more natural to me. Sorry PC master race but your keyboard and mouse controls aren't as intuitive as you'd have people believe. My 360 controller offers me greater control and triggers what make sense when shooting.
    You know you can just plug a 360 controller into your PC right? That's how I play a lot of my PC games

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    You know you can just plug a 360 controller into your PC right? That's how I play a lot of my PC games
    I could, if I had a wired controller. It's on my to-buy list.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

You can also get a device that plugs into the computer and it detects your wireless controller. I have one of those and it works great!

You can only get the generic ones these days, which aren't generally auto-detected, but just about every page that sells one on Amazon has a "how-to" on getting it up and running, and they're generally only like $10 or so. I've wanted one, but I always had a wired controller as back-up since before the charge and play kits were a thing so it's always been a non-issue with me. But one of those would be nice to have