Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Console vs PC gaming?

Default Console vs PC gaming?

TBH I never seen many FF games on PC except for those that were re-releases or MMOs or in the case of the upcoming FFXV. But I don't which is better. I can name the pros and cons of each. Gaming PC's are too damn expensive and hefty in the hardware requirement department and Consoles aren't that modifiable and contain lower graphic resolutions. But they are simple to use and PC games are pretty modifiable and have more powerful graphics. I got both but I'm slowing finding myself more at the mercy of Console since I got DMC HD collection and Zone of the Enders HD collection. Which do you guys prefer and why?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Consoles. Grew up with them and am more comfortable with a controller than a keyboard. I've played a few PC games in the past, and there are some genres like RTS games that I prefer on the PC, but overall I'd rather stick to consoles.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Completely different beasts and along with handhelds are a mutually exclusive triumvirate for me, as the games I play on them have little to no overlap. I play on PC for moddable WRPGs, strategy games, and the addicting multiplayer outlets like Dota/Counter-Strike/MMOS who rack up play times like no other. AAA Action and narrative-based games I play on console, as they're usually better optimized with fewer bugs and much more tactile feedback, as programmed for the console controllers. Handhelds are my machines for indies, JRPGs, and smaller scale experiences overall.

The idea that consoles are technologically inferior to PCs is a very qualified statement that just simply does not apply to the reality of most PC gamers. I remember when someone interviewed Mark Rein of Epic Games, the creators of Unreal Engine, asking whether the next-gen consoles can even compete with what's available with PC hardware, he laughed and said that from the metrics his company sees, most of Steam's profiles are using the integrated graphics chips included on their laptop CPUs. Even on the publicly available consumer metrics, the majority of people on Steam are using graphics cards with 1GB or less of VRAM. When you look on Twitch or elsewhere, the most widely played games are consistently the least demanding, ie - League of Legends, WoW, Dota 2, Hearthstone, Minecraft, etc. High-end components will always vastly outpace anything consoles could manage but the enthusiasts who build and upgrade their own rigs are a very small niche of an already marginal enclave.

I can easily play any PC game with a controller. I can play any PC game with an HDTV. I do both of these things often. I just see no reason to play consoles, except for console-exclusive games (handhelds are another matter entirely).

My PC costs more than a console (although not as much more as you might think), but it's not like I can just go without a PC anyway; and I can go without a console. A PC is an all-purpose machine that also happens to be great at playing games, and has none of the limitations of a console.

And nothing pisses me off more than games with menus/controls/etc that have to be bastardized for console support. Thank you, Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin, for what you have done for me.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Honestly I'll play on either; although much of what Spuuky said applies to me as well these days. I always have a computer anyway, so I'm not exactly spending extra for the ability to game. And I play many of my PC games with a controller. Plus, my favorite genre is strategy, and the best of those are on PC because they basically require mouse/keyboard.

I do love me some handhelds though.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

ive been on consoles for forever. i would play some pc games but i never had a computer good enough to run them.

a good thing about consoles are. you rarely ever see lag offline. but with pc lag and crashing can happen all the time when you dont have a good enough proccesor or stuff.

^^True. That and I notice more bugs and glitches in pc games. My laptop isn't really meant to run games but the ones I do want on steam would be FFIV and Wasteland 2. But I can say that consoles do have exclusives and hard copies. I actually prefer hard copies to soft ones.

Blog Entries

I don't own a single console. PC all the way.

My PC being a game machine? Hahahaha!

Console for me. I grew up with SNES and N64, and I still love the good old console. Besides, most of the games I love aren't on PC (legally).

I generally prefer console gaming, however I'm not especially concerned either way -- I'll play on both without complaint. The majority of titles I enjoy, however, are console games from the mid 80s to the mid 2000s, and most of those I'd rather play on a console than emulate.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Much much much prefer consoles

Like the other PC gamers already spoken. When I game on PC I usually do it in a console style environment. Keyboard and mouse wrecks my wrists. Controller all the way. I would only choose PC for the fact that most indie titles either start or end there and all my favorite Kickstarter games. But I still super enjoy things consoles and handhelds offer that are not available on PC. If I had to choose I would likely go with consoles for those experiences

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Both. Both is good.

Blog Entries

As a strictly PC gamer, I HATE controllers. I rarely use them unless I'm playing FF, Madden or a racing game. None of which I play very often. I can't use an analog stick to save my life.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I live in backwards world, where my Xbox 360's main use is YouTube and Netflix player and I hook my Laptop into the same TV with an Xbox 360 controller to play games.