Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airship may not be in the game :/

FFXIV Character

Tyson Ferrari (Sargatanas)

Default Airship may not be in the game :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DevlZMC98bs

They talk about it at the 51:00 mark. Kinda disappointing if so, I understand it's a big technical hurdle but this is one thing they've been saying since day one.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hark, the bell tolls for thee, FF! Lo, the end is nigh! The yeasayers said it could be done, but look how we bask in their arrogance!

FFXIV Character

haha not sure it's that crucial :P It definitely seems like they're getting to the point in development where they have to consider what is technically possible. I mean I'm sure it's possible (GTA V does it quite well) but it's really got to be something you build into the game from the beginning. Seems like they're only just now looking into it.

You don't need an airship to chill with your bros.

I really wasn't expecting it to have one so no surprise there. Type-0 has an airship tho, so that will do for my FF with an airship fix.

All I will say is: if they're still evaluating the technical possibilities of significant game mechanics - it's unlikely to be a 2015 release.

I mean, I know few of us were really genuinely probably expecting a 2015 release anyway, but there ya go.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    All I will say is: if they're still evaluating the technical possibilities of significant game mechanics - it's unlikely to be a 2015 release.

I mean, I know few of us were really genuinely probably expecting a 2015 release anyway, but there ya go.
    Agreed. I was kind of expecting it to release late 2015 considering they have the demo coming out early 2015. But first they were saying the magic system wasn't ready, now this with the airships. Makes it seem like we're still a way off.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Nooooooo

I guess they just replaced airships with cars. laaame

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Boo(SPOILER)bies

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    Agreed. I was kind of expecting it to release late 2015 considering they have the demo coming out early 2015. But first they were saying the magic system wasn't ready, now this with the airships. Makes it seem like we're still a way off.
    Very much, it is like every time Tabata says anything about the game there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding things. The magic system, the car, the length, the scale and now airships. If they are still grappling with such issues one wonders if the game is even on alpha stage at this point.

I'd give it December 2015 as the earliest release date but I think a more realistic scenario is first quarter 2016...a full year after the demo.

10 years in development and not enough time to do an airship? Pfffft. Just give us a hot air balloon or something.

Ever since he started talking about FFXV, Tabata has said that player controlled airships were just a "maybe". In one of the ATRs he went into more detail, but the problem really is it's a tremendous technical challenge. It wasn't something they were planning on doing since the switch to an open world game many years ago, but now all of the fan outcry has led to them exploring it again, so I'm hopeful!

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I haven't been expecting one since it was revealed that there was such a heavy focus on the car. Between a car and fast travel points, an airship seems like overkill.

I assume this also means there won't be an "overworld map" per se, like in the classic FFs, but rather something more like FFXII.
    I like Kung-Fu.

If the map is too large how can we travel from place to place?
    No, I hope we have to drive all the way.