Thread: So DS9

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Agreed on Odo being one of the best characters in the show but Bashir is amazing. The relationship between him and O'Brien is one of the highlights of the entire series.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Pumpkin pointed out this episode where Bashir gets possessed by the transferred consciousness of some Kobliad convict/evil scientist guy.

His attempt at a personality shift when he gets possessed is wonderful. I love it.

The first seasons are the best seasons in all Star Treks.

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

By far my favorite Star Trek series. Doesn't even come close. And lol if you think Bashir is a bad actor. Have you watched a single episode of Voyager? If not, don't.

Sorry btw. Bashir is one of my favorite ST characters, so I tend to get defensive.

But ya, give the show a shot. It's crazy how large the plot becomes within a matter of a couple seasons. Also think it has the best cast. Bashir and O'Brien bro love, Jadzia Dax, Quark, eventually Worf, Odo. God I just finished watching it and I want to go do it again.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

There is an episode I was quite sensitive about because it hit a sore spot and I haven't gone back and watched it. Sharky told me it wasn't as assholish as it first appeared but I left so I didn't see the whole thing. Might give it a try again later

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

May I ask which episode it was? I'm curious, I remember a couple that missed the mark, but I don't really recall any which actually had bad messages or anything. Not trying to say your reaction was wrong or anything, I'm just wondering

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh there was an episode where O'Brian's wife was teaching and a mother comes in and is like "this is blasphemy" and whatever. And at first all the faithful people were shown as being aggressive, disagreeable, and inflexible, while those not of faith (or different faith maybe?) we seen as being calm, defusing the situation, willing to work with it and compromise.

It hit me hard because lately a lot of what I see is either crazy fanatics who give us all a bad name or people who assume we're all crazy fanatics and treat us like idiots. It felt like it was another jab at religious people. It just gets frustrating you know? So I left because it was making me sad and well its a TV show so I don't really have to sit there and be sad

sharky tells me the episode went on to correct the stuff shown at the beginning and that the message is you can have jerks on both sides of the issue. I haven't seen it though, but I do appreciate if they went that direction in the end

It's the season finale where Videk Winn (a high level religious leader) shows up and starts aggressively questioning Keiko's curriculum right in the middle of class, and starts spreading fear and xenophobia around the Bajoran populace.

episode breakdown in more detail
    Keiko's school is eventually bombed, and things become extremely hostile between station personnel and the Bajoran citizens who have joined behind Winn.

Later Videk Bareil (another high level religious leader) shows up to give a more true representation of the Bajoran religion, and there's a scene where Jake begins to vent at the stupidity of the Bajoran faithful, and faithful in general, and how their backwards beliefs lead to hate and bigotry. Sisko points out that his own views of the Bajorans due to his contempt for their views parallels to Bajoran extremists. He wars his son not to fall into the same traps the Bajoran extremists have established when viewing them from the other side.

In the end, it's established that Winn was encouraging the violent protests and attacks on the station to lure out Bareil (her biggest rival, and the most likely candidate to be the next Kai. For like of a better term, the next Pope.). Once lured to the station, Winn had convinced one of her extremists faithful to assassinate him. The plot eventually fails.

It does focus on a corrupt sect of a religion, and how religion, like other powerful institutes can be corrupted even by those who are supposed to represent it's teachings by living most righteously. It also showed how true practitioners of a faith should try and react in the face of that, and also how others not of that faith should withhold judgement of the entire faith, and avoid the pitfalls of developing a superiority complex over those they deem less enlightened. In falling into that trap they become no better, just extremists from the other side.

They've had episodes where people have been corrupted for other reasons, but I can see how this one could be pretty sensitive to some folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni-Odin View Post
    And lol if you think Bashir is a bad actor. Have you watched a single episode of Voyager? If not, don't.

Sorry btw. Bashir is one of my favorite ST characters, so I tend to get defensive.
    Pumpkin can attest to the fact that I've defended both the actor and the character as developing strongly as time goes by, but I stand by the fact that the first season he is pretty campy. Not trying to offend, I like the Dr. Just discussing opinions.

Of course I've seen Voyager, it's great. The actors are also ridiculous sometimes. It comes with the territory of being a TV show.

Some of the dramas Pumpkin likes have ridiculous acting. IMO. People still love 'em.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pretty sure 90210 has the best acting ever

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni-Odin View Post
    And lol if you think Bashir is a bad actor. Have you watched a single episode of Voyager? If not, don't.

Pumpkin can attest to the fact that I've defended both the actor and the character as developing strongly as time goes by, but I stand by the fact that the first season he is pretty campy. Not trying to offend, I like the Dr. Just discussing opinions.
    No, I completely agree. That's how I felt about all the DS9 characters at first actually. Some of Sisko's acting is way over the top sometimes. In fact, the first season felt full of forced interactions and relationships. It's the growing pains of any new show.

I was just trying to convey that he becomes a great character and really matures as an actor. I didn't mean to come off as
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think overall the Bajoran religion is dealt with really respectfully in the show and it actually becomes a major major part of Sisko's character arc because of [spoilers]. Vedek Winn is just battrout crazy, which ends in [spoilers] by the end of the show. She's also not the only person who goes battrout crazy by the end of the series. [Spoilers spoilers!]

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Yeah, Pumpkin, I think religion is handled rather well in DS9. I mean, especially for science fiction. The evolution of the story and the cast as the series goes forward is really amazingly equatable. I think that's why I love it so much. It's not black & white, all sides are given a fair say and the show doesn't tell the audience what to think. Thing is, there are people like Winn. There really are people who use religion to their own gain, and it's important to show that. But DS9 also shows that despite there being people like Winn, those people don't represent the entire religion. It's actually a really positive message in the end. I thought the show was just going to bash religion, too, but it's really not about that, I promise.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm going to give it another try because sharky told me the same. I didn't watch the whole episode because why would I sit there and watch something for entertainment that upsets me xD I wasn't looking for something deeper, you know? Just got to be a sore spot because of all the religion bashing I see going on and the actual crazy religious people and it gets pretty frustrating, so I was pretty touchy about it

But I'll give it another try

Articles
    Blog Entries

Odo and Quark banter is the best.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Odo and Quark banter. O'Brien and Bashir banter. Garak and everyone banter. This show is fantastic.