Thread: EoFF Ranks Final Fantasy Round 2 - FFIV vs FFVII

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I can't decide whether to vote the honest option or the "if FFVII is knocked out this early the fallout is going to be utterly hilarious" option

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

It's uber-close.

I'll keep it 100 & admit I voted for IV. I actually love both games. I love the materia system in 7, as well as the characters & story.

However, I've played IV/II more times than one can imagine. To me, it was the proper successor to FFI, not just because it was the next sequel in the US, but because a lot of the themes in the game reflected that game's.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

iV is number 4 and VII is number 5 on my list so they are close but i mean who doesnt like chocobo farms. wait.. thats FFVII i mean who doesnt like the first black chocobo ( i think)

FF IV!

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you choose the premo, trying to hard to not try so hard, polygon riddled excuse to practice animal husbandry over the video game that got me started then foa doesn't love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    I see you have voted incorrectly. Shame, thought we were buds.

EDIT: Here are the reasons you are wrong, and there are spoilers.

1) Kain is the best good guy turned bad guy turned good guy TURNED BAD GUY turned good guy of all time.
    2) Tifa is the crappiest replacement heroine of all time. "The girl you had some feelings for totally died trying to save the world, but the world doesn't mean trout to me if my boo is sick! I will honor my murdered friend's sacrifice by TOTALLY GIVING UP THE CAUSE FOR WHICH SHE DEADED OVER"
    3)You know that Cid Highwind's schematics for the Shetland Pony came from original designs by Cid Pollendina.
    4) The black mages of FFIV could cast a spell MULTIPLE TIMES IN BATTLE that would destroy Gaia- because Earth is a cooler planet than Gaia. I'm talkin' bout Meteo. YES METEO, I PLAY SNES BITCH.
    5) Cecil Harvey is literally part dragon. Cloud Strife is partly a little bitch.
    6) No ridiculous chick fights in FFIV, but people get slapped around with magnanimity.
    7) Rosa and Rydia fly through space HANGING ON TO THE OUTSIDE OF THE BIG WHALE so they can preserve their group and fight to save the world, even if it means dying. I already told you how Tifa gave up on the world to push Cloud around in a wheelchair while he "thought some trout through."
    8) Cloud is totally faking his disability and doesn't even need a wheelchair.
    9) The puppet government in FFIV is actually a puppet - King Baron is a costume worn by one of the four fiends!
    10) Spoony. Bard.

the only thing that FFVII has that is nearly as good is Sailor Suit Barrett.
    Last edited by fire_of_avalon; 01-24-2015 at 04:04 AM.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Who did I vote for? Let's discuss the post I got one of my first rep from...

The 12 (so far) people who have voted for IV...

You are bad people and you should feel bad.

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    If you choose the premo, trying to hard to not try so hard, polygon riddled excuse to practice animal husbandry over the video game that got me started then foa doesn't love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    I see you have voted incorrectly. Shame, thought we were buds.

EDIT: Here are the reasons you are wrong, and there are spoilers.

1) Kain is the best good guy turned bad guy turned good guy TURNED BAD GUY turned good guy of all time.
    2) Tifa is the crappiest replacement heroine of all time. "The girl you had some feelings for totally died trying to save the world, but the world doesn't mean trout to me if my boo is sick! I will honor my murdered friend's sacrifice by TOTALLY GIVING UP THE CAUSE FOR WHICH SHE DEADED OVER"
    3)You know that Cid Highwind's schematics for the Shetland Pony came from original designs by Cid Pollendina.
    4) The black mages of FFIV could cast a spell MULTIPLE TIMES IN BATTLE that would destroy Gaia- because Earth is a cooler planet than Gaia. I'm talkin' bout Meteo. YES METEO, I PLAY SNES BITCH.
    5) Cecil Harvey is literally part dragon. Cloud Strife is partly a little bitch.
    6) No ridiculous chick fights in FFIV, but people get slapped around with magnanimity.
    7) Rosa and Rydia fly through space HANGING ON TO THE OUTSIDE OF THE BIG WHALE so they can preserve their group and fight to save the world, even if it means dying. I already told you how Tifa gave up on the world to push Cloud around in a wheelchair while he "thought some trout through."
    8) Cloud is totally faking his disability and doesn't even need a wheelchair.
    9) The puppet government in FFIV is actually a puppet - King Baron is a costume worn by one of the four fiends!
    10) Spoony. Bard.

Most of that may be true but all of it is story related. I wouldn't even concede that IV has the better story to begin with, but that's not what influenced my choice.

FFVII is just more fun to play. It has a lot more customization and freedom than IV, which is just a pretty basic level up system with a few summoning side quests thrown in. VII allows you to customize characters with materia, and collecting and leveling it is certainly more interesting than the basic experience gains of IV. There's also a variety of side quests to find the characters' final limit breaks or ultimate weapons or the very best materia through the Chocobo races or battle arena. The limit break alone added another layer to the ATB, which was in its infant stages with IV. And if you don't like your party, you can switch them out.

Maybe FFIV would be the more interesting movie to watch but FFVII is the better game to play.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post
    The 12 (so far) people who have voted for IV...

You are bad people and you should feel bad.
    I feel nothing.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

I vote for VII.

I don't think IV had any particular mechanic or story element that it performed to a greater degree than VII. VII had the more engaging narrative and a greater development of personalities. The only thing that VII doesn't have is "You Spoony Bard".

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post

1. Sailor Suit Barret
    2. Mukki
    3. Don Corneo
    4. Dio
    5. Mr Dolphin
    6. Bugenhagen
    7. Cloud cross-dressing
    8. Cloud being forced into a hot tub and "rubbed" by a bunch of burly men, see point #2
    9. Cloud raiding Tifa's underwear drawer
    10. Shut up! Sit your ass down in that chair and drink your goddamn TEA!
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Put this poll anywhere else in the world and the result is a no brainer. But at EoFF I feel the people who need to prove that FFVII isn't as great as everyone thinks it is might eventually outweigh those who know that it is.
    Indeed. Fair play though, I do like a good underdog story.

Final Fantasy IV, but it's obvious that Cloud is going to take the trophy home over Cecil lol.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Put this poll anywhere else in the world and the result is a no brainer.
    This is what I love about EoFF. No sarcasm whatsoever. Every single game has a lot of dedicated fans and even the smaller games get a lot of love.

I am loving how close this poll is. I hope all the polls are like this. I hope an underdog takes it all. This is what EoFF is about!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

the almighty reason how FF IV slightly beats VII.

5 party members is cool. and its better than 4. so that means its wayy better than 3

i mean why 3!?!? so stupid it means you cant play co-op or anything less strategies can be placed and stuff.

i hate 3 characters its goddamn horrifying. and also square pull a moomba on us in the northern crater.

remember how in FFVI dungeons like pheonix cave and the final dungeon had yoou split parties? yeah well ffvii does it too. except you CANT control them... like wtf is that all about

dont get me started on lazy villian. sephiroth. ( he is not the worst)

this is a random rant from me again. and after much consideration i realized. that 3 isnt horrifying and i was just overexagerating. also FF7 has epic dog guy in it so yeah.
    Last edited by Galuf; 01-24-2015 at 09:25 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

For me, Final Fantasy VII takes it and it's not even remotely close.

Final Fantasy VII.