Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Here EoFF I found a BuzzFeed article for all of you to get really upset about

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    If you liked this article, we suggest:

Ten Trains Selphie Would Have Loved To Ride

20 Things You Wouldn't Believe Relm Didn't Draw

Which Final Fantasy Game Are You?
    I wrote a bunch of over-the-top articles in this style a while back and tossed them into the Contributor's forum. I think most of staff decided they were... TOO over-the-top. xD
    Once was about rocks. I thought it was a joke, tbqh xD

:monster:

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Some of these are pretty wrong, actually. Gau is actually one of the most ridiculously overpowered characters in FFVI, to the point where he borders on being a gamebreaker; you just have to know how to use him. Relm is pretty useful too; she has the highest natural magic stat in the game (although by the time you recruit her you'll probably have raised Celes and Terra's magic stats to comparable levels with espers). And Umaro is useful in the Colosseum if only because he's the sole character in the game guaranteed never to do anything stupid there. Gogo is difficult to make a case for, though, as (s)he's a jack-of-all-trades but master of none.

As for the other games, Yuffie is, if memory serves, only of only two characters with a healing limit break, which meant she basically never left my party after (SPOILER)Aerith's death. And Garnet is pretty useful as a healer too.
    I can't really remember, but can Gogo mimic some quick+ultima+gem box action? I'm pretty sure they could mimic ultima+gem box. Hell, even with the lower stats, being able to assign any special skills you want to Gogo made it a surprisingly useful character at times.
    Oh yeah, you're right. Thanks to Mimic, Gogo's useful too.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Some of these are pretty wrong, actually. Gau is actually one of the most ridiculously overpowered characters in FFVI, to the point where he borders on being a gamebreaker; you just have to know how to use him. Relm is pretty useful too; she has the highest natural magic stat in the game (although by the time you recruit her you'll probably have raised Celes and Terra's magic stats to comparable levels with espers). And Umaro is useful in the Colosseum if only because he's the sole character in the game guaranteed never to do anything stupid there. Gogo is difficult to make a case for, though, as (s)he's a jack-of-all-trades but master of none.

As for the other games, Yuffie is, if memory serves, only of only two characters with a healing limit break, which meant she basically never left my party after (SPOILER)Aerith's death. And Garnet is pretty useful as a healer too.
    Yeah, Gau was the main one I didn't really understand because of how O.P. he was. I'm just not surprised because I'm assuming they don't like him because of his personality. Same with Yuffie.
    tumblr_mh426vTAqL1r338eio1_500.png

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

If you don't actually know what the OP rages are (as most casual/first time players wouldn't) then Gau would most certainly deserve to be on that list.

I could quibble about the order, but the list is more or less solid.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Just because a n00b wouldn't know how to use a character properly doesn't make that character useless. I'm not impressed.

Contributions

There is a huge difference between a noob and someone who doesn't want to make a game a research project.

Learning how to use Gau correctly doesn't require a "research project", unless you consider reading a game walkthrough a "research project", in which case you have a very strange definition of the term.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Only those who grew up during the Golden Age of Square would understand this!

Ten Bards who are Spoonier than Edward

25 Moments Made Better with Tidus' Laugh!

Ten Time Travel Stories Wackier than FFI!

I can probably agree with most of this list just based on my playthrough of the games. That's not to say the characters aren't useful, though! I only played through a lot of these once, and I just never spent the time to learn the ins and outs of most of these characters.

Contributions

There is a difference between knowing how Gau works and knowing which rages are effective to use. By and large most are highly useless considering the fact that you completely lose control of him during battle, ergo unless you look up which rages are the best or are prepared to acquire and test each one he has marginal utility.

Yes, and considering that looking up which rages are effective takes literally less than a minute, it really can't be described as a "research project".

Contributions

I consider having to look up anything outside of the game itself a research project. Having a game expect that a player will go out of their way to find information from outside sources is unreasonable, especially since quickly googling information didn't exist when the game came out.

Some people enjoy looking more in depth into games as they play them, the majority of people just want to play their damn game without having to look stuff up. It is easy to loose perspective because we have played them all a million times.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Gau's not useless because you have to learn what rages are good, but he can be if you don't put the time in to actually get those rages. Still tho, once he learned Io, trout got and stayed real whenever he was around.

I mean nothing compares to Boost Strength Erry Day Sabin equipped with a Genji Glove and Master's Scroll or Celes with Lightbringer, Paladin's Shield, and Soul of Thamasa, but hey. Can't all be insanely OP.

A quick guide to making Kimahri useful

Step 1: Go down Wakka's path for early status ailments with a huge MP pool.
    Step 2: Get Rikku to learn Mug. Use an ability sphere to teach Kimahri Mug. (Voila, a thief that does decent damage, doesn't die in 2 hits and has high MP)
    Step 3: Use a white magic sphere to teach Kimahri Hastega.
    Step 4: Go down Auron's path and wreck stuff while he steals, buffs and debuffs.

Kimahri power!
    Last edited by Pete for President; 01-26-2015 at 03:08 AM.

Wind God Gau arguably obliterates every other character as far as usefulness, actually. It's so OP they took it out of later releases of the game, while the Genji Glove/Master's Scroll and Economizer/Soul of Thamasa are still allowed.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Ignoring the games I haven't played enough of (or recently enough) to accurately give responses to...
    3. Umaro from Final Fantasy VI - Sure he's useless if by 'use' you do not include 'awesome fun, easy to use, will destroy everything'
    4. Gau from Final Fantasy VI - Gau is insanely overpowered. I would use cheap random skills I got and even during endgame they would kick all butts. I never went out of my way to look up how to get things, he just got 'em and I used them and realised how epic those things were. My most commonly used rage was the one where he would do that stone throw at everyone and muddle them. It got me through battles at the end which I should not have otherwise got through.
    5. Relm Arrowny from Final Fantasy VI - Ultros may disagree.
    6. Gogo from Final Fantasy VI - 6. Article Writer from Buzzfeed - What now!?
    8. Yuffie Kisaragi from Final Fantasy VII - Okay this I can kind of agree with, but I don't mind her.
    9. Cait Sith from Final Fantasy VII - Plot relevance, otherwise, eh.
    10. Selphie Tilmitt from Final Fantasy VIII - Nah, Selphie is boss for those who know the trick Jess mentioned. One-shotting the most powerful enemy in the game, total hax.
    11. Princess Garnet Til Alexandros XVII from Final Fantasy IX - She's not useless for those who want a healer that isn't an annoying little prat.
    12. Kimahri Ronso from Final Fantasy X - stfu Kimahri is cool.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!