Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your Favourite Version of FF IV

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Default What is your Favourite Version of FF IV

out of the 2 versions i played and completed ( FF "2" snes. and FF IV psp) i say the psp version is better. its harderin difficulty but it pulls its own tricks to make the game easier. like auto battle. and being able to swap characters in battle ( like if its rosa's turn but you want to use cecil first just press triangle). and the graphics are good. if you dont like the DS music then just change it back.

anyways like the title says. what is your favourite version of FF IV

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I couldn't even bring myself to play the PSP version, I dislike that style of sprite so much. Of all the versions I have played (multiple different SNES, PS1, DS) I like the DS version by far the most. I happen to quite like that graphics style as well as I think they did an excellent job tweaking the game balance.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

The PSP definitely!
    (I put "true" in quotes because I know it's subjective. This is just my idea of the "true" FF IV game)

• SNES - The dumbed down version. Okay, maybe not too much, but still...
    • PS1 - The "most true" US release of this game. It's the original version including all original items and enemy difficulty. Unfortunately, the slow loading times are actually noticeable on this Playstation port. REALLY noticeable.
    • DS - Added content and the hardest version. I'm not that skilled yet at FF, so this one gives me a headache. And I'm not a fan of the altered looks of some of the locations. One of the Towers or one of the Babil dungeons looks completely different. It's all brown, typical, and looks a little boring to me.
    • PSP - It's basically the PS1 game without all the hassle. With a few minor changes in gameplay, it's the next best thing to experience the "true" original FF IV. I also really love how they remade the Tower and Babil dungeons. It looks so futuristic and pretty.

Yeah, the PSP version is the one for me! I love it!
    Last edited by Electroshock Therapy; 01-27-2015 at 03:10 AM.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Super Famicom! If not that, then the PS1 version since it is basically the original Japanese version. The DS version is cool too but it's a different experience of the game than the original with it's own unique pros and cons. Still, I actually really love the original 16-bit sprites and music and seeing them updated makes them lose a bit of their magic for me.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

So... am I the only one in this thread who played the GBA version?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I played a significant amount of the SNES version. And then a significant version of the DS version.

Maybe I should actually finish it one day.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I played a significant amount of the SNES version. And then a significant version of the DS version.

Maybe I should actually finish it one day.
    aye you should because it is good and it has good music and stuffs and it is also the most challenging of the series ( imo out of the 9 games i played)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    So... am I the only one in this thread who played the GBA version?
    It's okay. I don't really care for the extra content added in and I still don't care for the end game balancing done to make that work but it's an okay version.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I only played the PSX version, which is basically the SNES version, so I guess... the SNES version?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I have played all versions, even unofficial ones (don't get nitpicky with me because there are 500 obscure fan translations).

I would say that there is a three way tie between the common fan translation and the PS1 version.

Some of the liberties they took with the fan translation bothered me. Most notably pop culture references (William Shatner should never be mentioned in a FF game).

The PS1 would win outright, but the load times were pretty terrible. Well, to be fair, it was mainly loading the game and saving to the memory card that was the biggest problems, otherwise the game ran fine.

The PSP and DS versions are very cool, but the feel more like remakes to me, especially the DS version. By my own definition, I can't really consider that the best in a weird way.

The US "FFII" version had plenty of translation issues, and it was dumbed down, but it isn't this huge travesty anymore that people make it out to be. Square-Enix has done more than enough ports and remakes to make up for it. The US version has a certain charm to it, and it's fun to play it still just to take a look at the changes and how far things like localization has come.

The GBA port was cool at the time for the added content and spruced up graphics, but it was basically a Wonderswan port that was awkwardly jammed in a GBA cart. The music quality suffered, as well. Plus, all the cool content can be found in the PSP port.

Long story short, if FFIV was a woman, I would stick my dick in her.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Well, to be fair, it was mainly loading the game and saving to the memory card that was the biggest problems, otherwise the game ran fine.
    This. This is the only time I noticed the slow loading.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

I have played all versions, even unofficial ones (don't get nitpicky with me because there are 500 obscure fan translations).

I would say that there is a three way tie between the common fan translation and the PS1 version.

Some of the liberties they took with the fan translation bothered me. Most notably pop culture references (William Shatner should never be mentioned in a FF game).

The PS1 would win outright, but the load times were pretty terrible. Well, to be fair, it was mainly loading the game and saving to the memory card that was the biggest problems, otherwise the game ran fine.

The PSP and DS versions are very cool, but the feel more like remakes to me, especially the DS version. By my own definition, I can't really consider that the best in a weird way.

The US "FFII" version had plenty of translation issues, and it was dumbed down, but it isn't this huge travesty anymore that people make it out to be. Square-Enix has done more than enough ports and remakes to make up for it. The US version has a certain charm to it, and it's fun to play it still just to take a look at the changes and how far things like localization has come.

The GBA port was cool at the time for the added content and spruced up graphics, but it was basically a Wonderswan port that was awkwardly jammed in a GBA cart. The music quality suffered, as well. Plus, all the cool content can be found in the PSP port.

Long story short, if FFIV was a woman, I would stick my dick in her.
    i guess your not a fan of this game though. you have cecil as your avatar which clearly states you hate him. an worst of all. NO CHOCOBO FARM!!

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Well, to be fair, it was mainly loading the game and saving to the memory card that was the biggest problems, otherwise the game ran fine.
    This. This is the only time I noticed the slow loading.
    This is true. My first time playing this was on PS1, and it kicked my butt like no tomorrow. So I basically spammed the save feature everywhere I could because I was getting paranoid the game would throw some unexpected nasty, and it usually did. So I got to see the saving and loading screen A LOT! Kinda got old after a while. Maybe now that I know more about the game, it won't bother me because I'll save and die less. But I like my PSP version better anyway, so I'm selling my PS1 copy soon.

Boco

Well, I really like the PS1 version of FFIV, it's definitely my favorite. You don't notice the loading time if you memo save everywhere and only do a hard save when you're turning it off. It has good difficulty, not too hard like FFIV DS, and it has my favorite art-style to represent the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The DS version, without a doubt. It has the best kind if difficulty and actually has a cohesive art style (the lack of which is a huge pet peeve of mine)