FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Handheld vs Home Console Gaming

Which do you prefer playing on and why?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Console. I prefer playing my game on a bigger screen. It's why I have an add-on for my GameCube that lets me play Game Boy and GBA games. Handhelds is when I don't have access to the TV or my computer. I've been using my 3DS a lot, but that's mainly for YouTube.

Handheld. I don't know why, but I honestly prefer the experience. Even on my Wii U, I play on the GamePad most of the time. I can move around, flop on my bed or couch, all without compromising my gaming experience.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I like the big screen with the game music going through the stereo. I guess it's just what I'm used to.

For gameplay alone, I find holding a controller in a relaxed position is much more comfortable. When using a handheld, I tend to either hunch over the screen. I have a bad back so I can really feel the outcome after a while. Also, my arms might go numb. It's just harder to get into a comfortable position when I have maneuver a screen around and keep it close to my face.

Now for sound. When I use the DS, I have to use earbuds to get the best sound. Even good earbuds get uncomfortable after a while. I know I could connect the DS to the stereo, but I get a hissing noise every time I move the DS around. Fortunately, I have a proper connector for the PSP so I can play that like a home console.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Like I mentioned in the other thread, completely different experiences with very little overlap. I like being able to play handhelds while still hanging out with friends or watching TV when visiting family. Especially the latter, since I don't have to pack a whole console in my bag, I can just bring a handheld with some ear buds. And in the case of PSP/Vita, you can actually get a console-like experience, a Metal Gear, Uncharted, or Gran Turismo, without bringing a console or worrying about waking anybody up. I also think handhelds are hands down the best way to play indies and with the renaissance going on right now, that alone makes them very relevant in the modern industry. So while I admit some of my love for handhelds is driven out of necessity, I genuinely think they make an argument over consoles/PCs in their own right.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

bof

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

These days it doesn't really matter in terms of comfort. Handheld screens are huge and perfectly lit compared to the dark ages when they were small and not even the suns of Tatooine on the clearest day of the desert planet's history could make the screen easy to see.
    Last edited by Sephex; 01-27-2015 at 04:50 AM.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I use handhelds a lot, but it's either because I'm not at home, or because the game is exclusive to a handheld console. I prefer big displays and super comfy contollers.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Definitely handhelds. I dunno why, to be honest. Maybe it's the ability to move around and curl up on the bed with it. I also find that I simply enjoy the types of games that come out on handhelds more.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I suppose I should answer my own thing. I've enjoyed gaming on both all of my life, but I always used to prefer consoles. That was where I was going to get my flashy graphics in things like the opening of FFVIII. That's where I was getting the deeper stories. That's not to say that there aren't handheld games with great stories, but as a kid I was mostly playing the likes of Pokemon on my Gameboy. I tried playing on a gameboy the other day and have no idea how I did it due to the whole no backlight issue. This why I loved my Game Gear.

Anyways, now my priorities have changed a bit. I'm in a place now where I just don't have access to play my home consoles much anymore, and so I've been playing a lot more on my 3DS and Vita. I've found that I enjoy the freedom of being able to play those games curled up on a couch or in my bed without being tethered to the TV. I think I've started to prefer handhelds more just because of that.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It depends entirely on the game. My PS Vita is just perfect for playing retro titles. All of the PS One classics are just perfect on the Vita Screen. Even FFX HD looks pretty damn fantastic on there. When it comes to games like Uncharted, GTA or Destiny then there is no comparison. It has to be on a big screen on my PS4. Destiny is playable on the Vita but it doesn't compare to the big screen experience.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Handhelds have a special place in my heart because I grew up in a huge family and it was incredibly rare to get the consoles for myself when everyone else was clamoring to play them. Even if you did manage to snag it, you'd get this circle of little kids watching you and it always made me self-conscious and do terrible at the video game.

But I always had my handhelds Which I could play at any time, alone in my room.

These days I like handhelds because I play them whilst doing other stuff or hanging out with other people. I can play them while I watch Netflix, or I can sit on the couch and play them when Mister Adequate is playing 360.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I don't get much out of handheld gaming if I'm honest. Don't even own a DS!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like consoles because big TV and other people can watch and share in the experience and it gets uncomfortable with the handheld eventually. But I can play handhelds when I'm going on long trips or am away from home or when the TV is being used

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I definitely prefer playing handhelds over consoles. Not that I don't like playing on consoles, but I get more enjoyment out of handheld games at the moment.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.