Thread: Things we failed to appreciate...

Default Things we failed to appreciate...

I realized recently that VIII was the first game to have separate animations for spells within one character. Okay, these were relegated to Quistis' Blue Magic Limit Break (of which there were only three separate animations), but at least it showed a hint of diversity. One of the things about battles in any game that quickly gets tired is having one animation for each action. Final Fantasy VII was the first to breakup the monotony by giving different characters different animations. Still though, who would do exactly the same thing twice in any situation? Quistis having different casting animations appropriate (mostly) to her choice of spell was the first (second?) step in the right direction, imho.

Anything else?
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel like the trains were a really cool if underutilized mechanic in the game. I always loved watching them move about on the world map, made it feel a bit more alive.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I agree with Wolf about the trains. I also like how after you visit Galbadia Garden for the first time you can just leave by yourself with Squall and explore the rest of that section of the game. I was all "Screw you guys, I'm going solo!" and visited Dollet and Timber.

I appreciated the not so clunky battle screen. Something about just seeing your battle party's name and HP was just like a breath of fresh air after FFVII. Even being able to press select further clear the screen and watch battle cinematics was great, too.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I didn't fully appreciate the soundtrack until my second playthrough. Granted, I did like a few key tracks when I first played the game, but the scope of it didn't hit me until I gave the game a second spin.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I imagine a lot of people might not have enjoyed it, but I really liked the boost for GF's. It made them interactive without taking away from awesome cinematics etc.

I also liked the books and magazines. I'm not 100% certain, but I think that was the first time we got readable sub-lore like that in a game. Even if it was very little.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I imagine a lot of people might not have enjoyed it, but I really liked the boost for GF's. It made them interactive without taking away from awesome cinematics etc.

I also liked the books and magazines. I'm not 100% certain, but I think that was the first time we got readable sub-lore like that in a game. Even if it was very little.
    Yeah, the magazines were fun to collect and were useful, as well.

The boost feature was interesting, but I think they went overboard on how long the summon animations were. They are cool, but after the billionth time it gets a bit tiring.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post

You could read tons of books in FF5. Some of them had lore in them.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?