Thread: Xbox 360 vs. PlayStation 3

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

two terrible consoles

2/10 would not buy again

after over 5 years of controller use, I still don't have a problem with controllers needing to be recharged annoyingly often

using AA batteries is for plebs

and anyone worth talking to are capable of changing the rechargable batteries in a DS3 anyway
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I do prefer how the 360 controller feels in my hands compared to the ps3. But I like the bluray player and PS3 exclusives! I've had a 360 longer so I will say it is a good system.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    In regards to Bolivar's point with the AA batteries on the 360 pad. The 360 controller was designed with the idea that people would use either the play and charge rechargeable batter pack, or by putting rechargeable batteries in to the provided battery case. It was never designed with the idea that someone would be dumb enough not to adopt to that practice. However, given the fact that rechargeable batteries even lithium ion ones like the one built in to the PS3 controller degrade, lose potency and ability to hold a charge over time and use. The decision to give the controller a replaceable external battery costing around £15 for 2 recharging packs is far more consumer friendly and cost saving than Sony's decision to enforce their customers to replace the entire control pad for £45 a pop. Case in point, I have 3 different control pads for the 360. 1 came with my original 20GB hard-drive console (original option for a hard-drive. Again, the option was there for me to choose the hard-drive not a cost forced on me by default) 1 was purchased so I could play split screen multiplayer with an exgirlfriend. The 3rd pad is the black one which came with my 250gb Xbox 360s model purchased after 6 years of service from my original 20GB model caused it to RROD when playing Gears 3. I've never had to purchase another pad. I have however, had to purchase 3 packs of rechargeable AA batteries for a grand cost of £10 in 8 years or so of gaming on Xbox 360. In 5 years of owning PS3 consoles, my sister's partner has gone through 3 consoles (2 yellow lights of death compared to 1 RROD in 8 years for me on the 360) and about 10 controllers either through breakage of buttons or the battery in them going.
    I honestly don't think it's too big of a deal but it is ironic that you call it more consumer friendly to expect people to go out and buy extra peripherals instead of being "dumb enough," as you put it, to use the controller as intended out of the box. It's actually very emblematic of the 360 era, charging customers extra to use products and services they already owned, such as the multiplayer segments of their full price games or the Netflix subscriptions they already paid for. I, too, owned 3 controllers for my system, one being a launch Sixaxis that came with my refurbished console. Maybe the lithium ion batteries truly have degraded as you say; I honestly haven't noticed.

As for the games, that's your opinion but you just can't say Halo 1 - Reach were the "unimpeachable" kings of shooters when Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike and now Call of Duty are/were each far and away more popular than Halo ever was. I can't say too much about Fable, so maybe I am trolling a bit there but the Forza hype really needs to stop. Once in the game library at PAX East, I played Forza 3 and GT 5 Prologue side by side using a racing wheel and I can tell you Forza is nowhere near being in the same galaxy as Gran Turismo.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I get the issue with the PS3 controller when it's brand new, but once I broke it in it felt just as good as the last two controllers they had. I spent four months playing nothing but PS3 games which really smurfed with me when I went back to my Xbox.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I love Xbox 360 controllers. PlayStation controllers are good too but I feel like mine always break.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

If we are going off of looks, I have to go 360. I have the R2D2 model and it's the ​beep whistle.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

i love xbox, halo 2 itself is my 2nd fav game ever. anyways. yeah xbox

ps3 is cool aswell but eh