Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151929 ... LastLast

Thread: Pumpkin's Top Games of All Time Ever

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Pokemon Stadium is the business and I was playing it again only last year.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default 84. Soul Calibur III

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    These games are coming thick and fast!
    Yeah, 97 games is a lot to get through and I don't want this to take forever :P

Also, sorry to disappoint you guys, but SCII is not my favourite of the series. It's

84. Soul Calibur III (PlayStation 2)
    5fT1MFX.jpg

Same as the last game. Evil sword and a good sword maybe? What little I know about the game is all thanks to what I've heard and not actually from playing the game multiple times. It's a fighting game, I'm just there to beat people up in impractical battle arenas.

Same as the last one for the most part. Characters have weapons. Triangle performs a vertical strike, square is horizontal, O is a kick, and X guards. Each character has their own moves list and own set of combos. This game also has the added create a soul section where you can create your own character.

This was my second Soul Calibur game, and although I don't have a huge preference for it, I did like it a bit more. I found some areas and characters looked a little more polished, and I liked some of the available outfits more. Sounds silly, but that's something I enjoy in fighting games. I still really enjoy the character selection and the play style. The game is easy to get in to and a lot of fun. Mostly what pushes this one slightly above the other one is being able to create my own character and have them get their own unique story mode. That was something I really liked.

Favourite character: Talim H3TQuwn.jpg
    Honourable mentions: Xinaghua, Seung Mina, Sophitia v2EAH4p.jpg4Ge8uo9.jpgN3UFdlv.jpg

Same as last time and for the same reasons! I'm glad they were all kept for this game as well.

Next entry is the first FF game on this list

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

TALIM IS MY FAVORITE TOO! I kick so much butt with her! Then they took her out in the newer one

Ahhh I missed so many

I loved the pokemon stadium mini games. I also would play my red,blue,yellow, silver and gold through the extra pack thing on stadium. I thought it was so cool to play it on a tv.

Ripto's rage is still, to this day, the only game I have gotten 100% on.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default 83. Final Fantasy XIII

Oh good! It's my first time doing one of my long reviews and its for a game everyone hates. Yay!

83. Final Fantasy XIII (PlayStation 3)
    Jo91wpB.jpg

Final Fantasy XIII follows a group of people who were part of a “purge” which led them to being turned in to l'Cie. As l'Cie, they have two options: Find out what their 'focus' is and complete it, living eternally as a crystal, or don't complete their focus and turn in to horrible monsters.

Final Fantasy XIII has a unique take on the Final Fantasy battle system. It has the ATB bars once again, but this time there are several, they fill up quickly, and different actions use a different amount of the ATB bars. You can also allow the computer to decide for you which actions to take. You'll only control one character mainly, although later on in the game you can choose who it is. The Paradigm system is an important part of gameplay. It's a system that allows you to assign roles to your characters (almost like job classes) and you can switch between them in battle depending on your strategy. It has 6 main playable characters, 3 playable in battle at once, and 2 guest characters.

General impressions:
    Final Fantasy XIII was not what I expected out of a Final Fantasy game. It was very linear, had no conventional towns to explore, very little downtime, you could only control one character at a time, the ability system sucked, and if your main character died it was game over even if everyone else was fine. I was disappointed. This wasn't what I wanted in a Final Fantasy. BUT, once I looked past the title, I realized it was a game I genuinely enjoyed. Was it my favourite? No, I mean look it didn't even make it out of the 80's and it certainly isn't without faults, but I do have fun playing this game. I love the paradigm system, some areas are gorgeous, I like some of the characters, the story is interesting to me, and I just enjoy it. It will never be my favourite game but I'd certainly play it again.

Story:
    The story, I will say right now, did not live up to its potential. It was not well told. But aside from that, it actually was very interesting to me. The whole l'Cie thing kept me on my toes and wondering what I would do in that situation. Turn in to a crystal and practically die that way, or turn in to a monster? Running away from your home, being called traitors when what happened was through no fault of your own. The touching moments with Sazh, the touching moments with him and his son, learning the truth about Vanille. It was all good. If it was told properly it would be one of my favourites in the whole series. Overall I really like it.

Gameplay:
    Some positive and negatives here as well. On the one hand the game is too linear and the battle system goes too fast for me to do anything but select auto battle. On the other hand, the paradigm system I absolutely adore and it added a lot of involvement. Learning what paradigms to use when was the difference between a swift victory or an utter defeat. Learning the ins and outs of each paradigm, what they were good for, when to use them, was very exciting and I loved it.

World:
    The world was absolutely gorgeous. It's just a shame it wasn't more explorable. There were some beautiful locations, but my favourites would be the Sunleth Waterscape and the frozen Lake Bresha. Lake bresha especially takes my breathe away every time I see it.

Characters:
    The characters I am torn on. I actually really like Sazh, Fang, and Vanille. I wish they'd kept Fang and Vanille as a couple because they make one of the better couples in the series. I didn't like Snow although I can appreciate that he was a great, loyal, and caring guy. Just a bit enthusiastic for my tastes. I hated Lightning and Hope. Hated. The chapters where I was stuck with them were the worst. Like both of you stop whining my goodness.

Favourite character: Fang q6aQ32W.jpg
    Honourable mentions: Sazh, Vanille aEjB2W4.jpgzCqzfgO.jpg

I actually didn't like Fang my first time around. Now she's my favourite. Heck, I would date her if I was single and she was real. She's strong, confident, no nonsense. Sazh has some of the most touching scenes in the game and I didn't find Vanille annoying at all. Seeing her struggle was really touching to me.

Overall it will never be my favourite game or the best example of the series, but it's still a fun game, it had an interesting story, a great almost-romance, some touching moments, and some beautiful areas. Some definite potential here.

My next FF game will be much more popular, don't worry

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Best FFXIII charcter.

The best by default because...well....what competition is there? Still a good character.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I liked Fang right up till the end. The scene in Orphan's Cradle was just so preposterous and annoying that I lost all respect for the character.

Also, I liked Fang and Vanille's relationship just the way it was. Not every relationship has to be romantic. And for me it was the closest FFXIII ever got to not being melodramatic. Their relationship was the closest the story ever got to feeling true or honest. In real life, they wouldn't be a couple. They'd be best friends who maybe hooked up once but then decided it was a bad idea and went back to being good buddies.

The sad thing about the best thing about the game (the world being gorgeous) is that it's in some ways the absolute worst thing about the game. It really is gorgeous, but all that beauty is wasted because of that troutty troutty troutty camera, and because of the way the levels are laid out. All of that beauty and you spend so much time in boring hallways. All of that beauty, yet the last few areas are not engaging at all. (The Tesseract is a lazy-ass cop-out of a final stage.)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I see what you're saying about their friendship. I just find them to be very sweet together and I think they would have been a really solid couple, but I hadn't thought of it the way you put it

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Don't mind me, though. I might just be jaded against romance in general. Who knows. Whether it was romantic or not, it was definitely the best relationship of FFXIII. Except maybe Sazh-Dazh-Choco-Chick. I almost had a feel at the end when Sazh sees Dazh again and little baby choco goes flying to Dazh. Almost had a feel, but I choked it back cause this horrible game doesn't deserve my feels.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default 82. Dragon Quest IX

82. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Nintendo DS)
    oJUcA6Q.jpg

Dragon Quest IX follows the player character, who is an Angel guarding over a certain village. By helping out the villagers, who can't see him or her, they can receive benevolessence which is given to Yggdrasil, the World Tree. The World Tree finally gathers enough benevolessence and is producing fyggs, a sign that the angels can move in to the Realm of the Almight, but something goes very wrong...

Dragon Quest IX plays similar to the whole other two Dragon Quest games I've played. Battles are somewhat in first person perspective with parties of four, although in this game you can make I think eight characters. You can control all characters or set up a strategy for your other teammates who will act on their own. After certain level ups, you will get points to distribute how you want towards weapons and other things, which will also let you learn new abilities. In DQIX, you create all of your party members and assign them different roles, kind of like job classes.

General impressions:
    Dragon Quest IX is technically the first Dragon Quest game I owned and played, but due to some circumstances I didn't get very far. But I liked it enough that I gave it another shot! I loved the character creation part and choosing the job classes. The story is charming, but paced a bit oddly, there are some endearing characters, and when you change armour the outfits actually change!! More games need to do that!

Story:
    I overall like the way the Church is represented in DQ games. For once they aren't the evil organization. Mostly they're just save points. But in this game they do take on a bigger role and I do enjoy what they did with it. You have some bad people, sure, but you also have some really good people who are trying to do good things. The story was very interesting and touching to me, and I think it was pulled off well with a silent protagonist. The pacing itself was a bit odd. You get a bunch of story at once and then for a while you get a lot of side story before you get a bunch of the main story again. But overall it was good and I enjoyed it.

Gameplay:
    I'm split on the gameplay. Overall I like it. I liked being able to create my own party to suit my needs, that was cool. It wasn't too difficult, it was fun, and there was lots to do. Like I mentioned, I love that the clothes actually change with the armour. I'd say the biggest fault with this game is how little money they give you. It takes so long to raise enough funds for better equipment for a full party. It gets tiring after a while.

World:
    The world I don't find is anything special, but it isn't bad either. It's got some cute locations, a few interesting ones, and there is some diversity. The towns actually have life to them, which is nice.

Characters:
    The good thing about this game is you can make your own characters! I made a party of four girls named Emily, Amber, Millie, and Beenie. As far as NPC's go, there were a good amount of interesting and well written ones as well.

Overall it's not my favourite DQ game, but it was a lot of fun. You get to customize your own characters, there are so many silly puns that it becomes groan worthy and then loops back around to funny again, and it has a strong story.

Tomorrow we finish up the 80's!

This is my second favorite DQ game. I honestly wasn't expecting much from the title, and I thought the train was a bit on the silly side, but I got completely sucked into it and the TONS of bonus content it has.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just got this! And IV, V, and VI! Eventually I'll get around to playing them!

Articles
    Blog Entries

ALL OF MY RAGE!

RAGE!

RAGE!!!!!!!!!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Someday I want to play these DQ games. But the ones I want to play the most aren't on platforms I use.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default 81. Sunshine Islands

81. Harvest Moon: Sunshine Islands (Nintendo DS)
    ezfEV7G.jpg

On Sunshine Islands, you are a farmer working on an Island. Eventually you start seeing little gnome people through not fault of your own and need to start collecting Sun Stones to raise some sunken islands. While farming. And maybe getting yourself a wife and kid. And possibly participating in events.

In this game you have several things to do. Time passes, with every few seconds equalling about 10 minutes. There are four months representing the four seasons, and this affects which crops you can grow and which events take place in the village. You grow crops and tend to them, and also raise several different farm animals to get stuff like milk and cheese. You can also expand your house to include things like a kitchen where you can make dishes with your ingredients. By fulfilling certain things or just looking around, you can find Sun Stones to raise different islands, which will give you more stuff to do. There's also a dating sim aspect where you can choose a wife or husband, depending on what gender you're playing. You have to court them by giving them presents and such. There are a variety of events, from fishing contests to cooking contests, to just hanging out with the community.

I really like Harvest Moon games, I think they're cute and sweet and fun. I did enjoy this one, it had some fun events and some interesting characters. But it isn't the best example of the series. It's more difficult to play and less intuitive. A lot of stuff costs a lot of money. And time goes by very quick leaving you to struggle to do everything in one day. But it's still a lot of fun, even if it is less polished for the series. The dating sim is actually easier than in some games, which i could really appreciate, and I loved seeing the love events, not just with my character, but with other couples too.

Favourite character: Julia AnkPXPR.jpg
    Honourable mentions: Pierre, Sabrina 3HtX3vr.jpg89NkgrA.jpg

I like Julia because she's sweet and she loves animals, although I may be a bit biased since I saw more of her scenes than anyone. She just seems like a really kind person. Sabrina is adorable with her giant glasses and she's also just super nice. Pierre emotes like no one's business and I love the faces he makes.

Harvest Moon is such a fantastic series. And so expansive that I'd be hard pressed to find a single, overall "best" game.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.