Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 61620212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Pumpkin's Top Games of All Time Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    It occurs to me that I haven't ranted on about how bad Final Fantasy Tactics is recently. I'll need to correct that some time, especially with it blighting so many of these "best games" lists.
    Hehe, what didn't you like about it?

Suikoden III's intro = <3

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default 18. Star Ocean 4

Suikoden III's intro is the best <3

Now time for another game no one likes!

18. Star Ocean: The Last Hope International (PlayStation 3)
    dVXAN9O.jpg

This game follows Edge and Reimi, two young space explorers as they go out and... explore space. But things go a teensy bit wrong and one of their space ship bros goes missing and they have to travel from planet to planet to find it, meeting aliens and exploring planets in the process.

This is an RPG in which you control one character in battle but you can decide which one that character is. I can't remember all of the specific controls, but it's easy once you get in to it and well explained. You attack, use skills, and if your timing is right you can blindside the enemy (my favourite thing to do) which will help land a critical hit. You also have a bonus board that fills up if you complete certain requirements in battle which will do things like double exp or money and other such things. Taking a critical hit can break some of the bonus board. The game also comes with selectable difficulty levels and an invention thing where your characters brainstorm ideas and then you can make the items from there. There are 9 total playable characters with 4 usable in battle at a time.

General impressions:
    I loved this game both times I played it so I was pretty surprised to learn that most people hate it. Oh well! I got it as a present and I'd played Star Ocean 3 before but it never really stuck with me and I didn't finish it. Not that it was a bad game it just didn't do anything special for me. But I was pleased to find that I adored this one. It's another game that I could barely put down and I found myself staying up later than I should have because I wanted to keep playing. There is one horrible spot though that I hated and some of the bosses were much too hard for easy mode, but other than that I felt like it was a great game.

Story:
    Wasn't the best RPG story out there, but I did enjoy it and I was always looking forward to what was going to happen next. Overall I think it was well told, I liked the pacing. There were a few really good moments and a few really cheesy moments so I guess it would even out to average.

Gameplay:
    A lot of fun, I really liked it. Especially since I could use an archer character and I think in terms of pure gameplay, she would be my favourite archer to use out of any video game. I liked the bonus board (although it was bum that it would be gone if you turned off the game and started back up) I liked the abilities and the blindsides, and I thought that the battles were fast paced and exciting. My only other complaint was that bosses were much harder than they should have been for easy mode.

World:
    I really like the world because it's actually many different worlds. There were some I hated and the Cardonian Mothership (I think it was called) was horrible, drawn out, unattractive, and just really bad. That part of the game almost made me quit. But I'm glad I stuck it out because there were some good places after that and some good places before. Overall I'm really impressed.

Characters:
    So not the strongest cast but I did like a few of them. The biggest problem would be the atrocious voice acting which was hard to look past. There were some good characters and some characters I didn't really like. I wouldn't say the cast was anything special.

Favourite character: Reimi agVoQso.jpg
    Honourable mention: Faize 9bT0Xb3.jpg

As I said I love Reimi in battle because she's an archer, but she's overall my favourite. She steps in when she needs to and she surprised me because she doesn't seem like the leadership type. She's also just sweet and adorable. I thought Faize was very well written and his development interested me the most. (SPOILER)Shame about him becoming the bad guy though.

Overall for all of it's glaring faults I had a wonderful time playing this game. I did like the story, I liked inventing, I liked seeing the characters interact, I loved exploring the worlds, the gameplay was fun, and it has my favourite archer to use ever. At the end of the day I had so much fun, and that's a large point of playing the game!

Screw the haters, SO4 rules.

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

While I have some issues with SO4, primarily the lack of a manual targeting option in the original version and Edge for about half of it, I still think very highly of the game overall. I like the visited worlds, combat was well executed, I liked using most of the characters, puzzles weren't annoying, I got to ride a bunny. Good stuff overall.

Reimi is also a COMPLETE monster in combat, almost Maria levels of powerful, and I can see why she'd be awesome for an archer fan. Quite amusingly I only found her rough to use in one area, the Cardianon Mothership (where several enemies are programmed to directly prioritize her), and you listed it as one of your least favorite areas. Not that I disagree; that place sucks. >: |
    Last edited by Rez09; 02-25-2015 at 04:17 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default 17. Final Fantasy XIV

I forgot about the bunnies!

17. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PlayStation 3)
    5M4S086.jpg

I'm going to be honest here, I know very little about the story because I started playing it on a very small screen and I couldn't read the dialogue and stuff. But it does seem there is a crystal and that your character, like every character, is special in some way.

This game is an MMO so you play in a world with other players from everywhere. You make your own character(s) and choose their job which will determine where you start. As you level up and do different quests you'll be able to do different jobs and also do some side jobs like weaver and such. You pretty much go at your own pace but the game will dial you back if you're overleveled for story events. And of course you can do things with other players but I mostly played solo.

General impressions:
    I've always wanted to try this game because CHARACTER CREATION but I didn't want to have to pay for a game every month. I decided to get it and start with the free trial and go from there. I loved it. The world was so vast, character creation was everything I'd wanted, it has a good sense of humour (from what I can read now on the bigger screen) it has a million things to do, and everyone is so nice! Not just the people from EoFF, who have been awesome about helping me out, but strangers too. I was very nervous because if you recall my rant on the Bravely Default review, I do not enjoy playing games with other people and I get self conscious very easily. So I was super nervous about real people seeing me play and seeing all my flops and mistakes, but no one made fun of me or made me feel bad and I always had a helping hand when I needed it. I was super happy to find out I didn't need to do a monthly payment but could instead buy cards so that way I can take a break (like I am now) without worrying about draining the bank account.

Story:
    Like I said, I'm not too far in the story yet and most of what I've seen I couldn't... well, see. So I can't comment much on this. But I do like how you also get little side stories with your job guild. I'll probably be able to comment more on this when I play some more but in the meantime maybe someone else can fill in the blanks.

Gameplay:
    Super fun and so much stuff to do. SO. MUCH. STUFF. I loved being able to create my won characters and grow them and learn new skills and start doing things like cooking and fishing and doing the little quests here and there and participating in those fate things. I'll be interested to play more of it and see about maybe trying a group thing although I'm still pretty nervous about that. A few tasks could get a bit tedious but overall it was fun and I have very little complaints.

World:
    Gorgeous gorgeous world with a lot to see and explore and do and I haven't even explored it all yet. There's so many beautiful areas that I would just stop and look at and I always got really excited to go check out every nook and cranny. I thought Limsa Lominsa would be my favourite because water everywhere (and it is really awesome) but I ended up liking Gridania more. I just found it so nice and peaceful.

Characters:
    You are the characters so chances are you'll like them! I made three characters and I would tell you about them but chances are you don't care. They're super cute anyways. There's also obviously the story relevant NPC's but I've missed most of their dialogue so I couldn't tell you much.

SlzaOqr.pngE3G9s1d.pngl5pEFIx.png
    Dese are my characters

Overall this is a super fun game and worth the time cards when I feel like playing it. I loved creating my own characters, exploring the beautiful world, and also the other players are great and helpful. Awesome game, I'm glad it was my first (and probably only) MMO. Anyways, lesson is buy a bigger TV.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default 16. Fire Emblem: Awakening

16. Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS)
    ymPOXTz.jpg

In Fire Emblem: Awakening, your avatar character wakes up with amnesia and is discovered by some pretty important people who throw caution to the wind and recruit you to their cause almost immediately. There's some political stuff going on, but more than that, there's some demon-ish type creatures that start appearing and well... that's some bad news right there. So it's your job to save the future for your kids because even in times of war people still need love.

This is a strategy game, so you move your dudes and dudettes across certain squares depending on their move. Afterwards, you can heal your allies or attack your enemies, depending on the characters job. Eventually they can change jobs or become stronger ones if you have the proper items and such. You can also smoosh two of your people together to make one more powerful unit. Also your characters get friendship points and stuff from doing battle together and then you get scenes between them and eventually they can get married!

47YdrDR.png
    You and me both

General impressions:
    This game has a dating sim aspect to it that doesn't involve any nudity which is 100% of the reason I picked it up, not gonna lie. But the game was super hard, even on casual, so I stopped playing. Eventually I said that no strategy game was going to stand in the way of me playing matchmaker so I picked it back up. This time I could play it, although it was never easy. Anyways there's something that made it easier. You can buy monster boxes for grinding. At first I didn't want to do this because I couldn't afford it, but I realized that the loot you get in battle almost always makes up the difference. So being able to grind did make the game much easier and more enjoyable. As expected, the character interactions are marvelous and you have a wide variety of matchmaking choices. I just wish it was easier.

Story:
    The story is interesting enough, and it had some very touching moments to it. Most of the good storytelling and interesting bits are very character focused, and there were some plot twists I didn't see coming. With that being said I wouldn't say it was amazing. I feel like I should have more to say but I don't so there you have it.

Gameplay:
    The battles and stuff are too hard. I'm glad there was a casual option or all of my characters would be dead. I just don't have a mind for strategy as sad as that makes me. But the character relationships and matchmaking was excellently superbly excellent and that's what made this game rank so high. The conversations, not just among potential partners, but also between friends were touching, well written, funny, and flowed really well. It was fun trying to pair each character up.

World:
    As is the case for most strategy games, you don't get much in terms of world. There are different battle maps and stuff but towns are not explorable and nowhere really stood out to me. There's not much more to say, it was par for the course as far as strategy RPG worlds.

Characters:
    Best thing about this game hands down. As I mentioned the characters are well written and likeable, their interactions are amazing, ranging from very touching to funny, and there's a very large cast as well, which I really enjoy. Plus you get to have the characters get married and stuff which is great since I love dating sims.

Favourite character: Olivia 5Nss0XT.jpg
    Honourable mentions: Ricken, Frederick, Morgan (Male) E9Zsybn.jpgozJhMGH.jpgjJFr3SY.jpg

It was reeeealllly hard to narrow this down because there were so many awesome characters. I liked Olivia because she was a sweetheart and had some great support conversations. Ricken was like my MVP, being my best mage and actually being able to take a hit. Frederick is who I chose as my avatar husband because he's pretty close to my type and Morgan was adorable and sweet and goofy and also very useful in battle.

Overall this game is very difficult, but it has an interesting story, touching moments, and a really awesome cast of characters with great interactions between them.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Am I a bad person for buying Theatrhythm instead of this when I got my 2DS? Probably. Do I care? Probably not.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

As long as you enjoy Theatrythm then how could you be a bad person? I'd still recommend giving this one a try in the future if it seems like your cup of tea

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It would be. I was just in the mood for something a bit more casual at the time and FF music is hard to go wrong with.

When you said "smoosh two units together to make one more powerful unit", I wasn't sure whether you were referring to Pair Up or the child unit system.

I love this game, and I'm glad you liked it. I would recommend the Golden Gaffe DLC pack for you. It makes grinding MUCH easier and gives you tons of money. Also, if you like the Support conversations, get the Scramble Pack. They add in a lot more character moments in three special maps that aren't really difficult.

As great as this game is, it did have issues. The difficulty was a bit off as Intelligent Systems were trying to balance the utterly broken Pair Up system. And the maps are rather bland for the series, with too many open fields.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Aw yis!

Star Ocean 4 and Fire Emblem: Awakening!

SO4 had great game play, but the voice acting made me play the entire game in silence. :C

FE:A was super legit and my first ever Fire Emblem game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Always awesome to see FFXIV so high on these kind of lists. Really glad you're enjoying it! The world really is stunning, and also it's got Gold Saucer as of now so you can also do chocobo racing and Triple Triad, so you should nip on and check them out. Oh, and it's a minion giveaway in our FC this weekend, Ashton, so be sure to check the Facebook page and vote for some timeslots.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default 15. Final Fantasy X

15. Final Fantasy X (PlayStation 2)
    Lgt5zTz.jpg

Final Fantasy X is the story of our hero, Tidus, as he gets swept up by some mysterious giant icky whale and ends up somewhere where supposedly the place he lives was destroyed a thousand years before. While trying to find his way back home, he joins a summoner, Yuna, who's job is to defeat Sin, the same Sin that sent him to this strange place.

Final Fantasy X is a bit different than the average Final Fantasy game. There is no ATB bar, instead characters have a turn order displayed on the side. Three characters are playable in battle, but characters can be freely switched in and out. Summons in this game will stay on the battlefield until they are KO'd or dismissed, replacing the regular party. There is no leveling up, instead characters receive points to spend on a sphere grid, which will allow them to increase their stats and learn new abilities. There are 7 total playable characters and one guest.

General impressions:
    Final Fantasy X was one of my first Final Fantasy games and I loved it from the moment I played. Yuna is actually the character that got me in to the series, although it was her X-2 version, but that's another story. My opinion of this game has diminished over time, but as you can see I still like it very much or it wouldn't be this high on the list. I think this game has an excellent story, some really strong characters, and is just overall a lot of fun to play. Other than the one mandatory blitzball section, the game never feels like a chore. Instead I just find it a joy to play and an interesting and involving adventure.

Story:
    The story is my favourite part of the game. At first I was so curious about Spira and Zanarkand and what the differences were and what had happened. Was Tidus in the future? Would he ever get home? Soon I found myself focusing on the summoner and her pilgrimage. I love the contrast in this game between the environment and the mood. Most areas are bright, sunny. But the people in this bright and sunny places live in constant fear of Sin. They regularly suffer the loss of their homes and their loved ones. You can just feel the mood. The tone gets darker as the story goes on, but it still kept me hooked. The game kept going past when I expected it to, (SPOILER)past Zanarkand, and the game had done a great job of making Zanarkand feel like the end game. Even now when I know what's going to happen, I'm still touched by a lot of the moments, (SPOILER)like Tidus finding out the truth about what will happen to Yuna, her standing up for what she believes in, and so many more great moments.

Gampelay:
    The gameplay isn't so great. I mean it isn't bad but Final Fantasy has certainly come up with better. I like the ATB system, and the sphere grid was more of an annoyance than anything. The forced Blitzball match was horrible. I'm happy its available as a mini-game for those who enjoy it but the mandatory round is the thing I dread most in the game. What I did like was the summons sticking around and fighting and being able to swap characters in and out of battle easily. Also the overdrive system was great.

World:
    The world in this game is stunning. There are so many beautiful locations, from Besaid Island to the Moonflow to Zanarkand itself. And the locations have so much life and atmosphere to them. Zanarkand especially. My favourites are probably the beautiful snowy Lake Macalania and the beautiful and snowy Mt. Gagazet. I think snow is pretty, in case that hasn't been made obvious at this point.

Characters:
    My opinions of the characters has changed drastically since I first played. I used to think Rikku was awesome, Auron was so badass, Lulu was the coolest. Now they don't do as much for me, although I don't dislike them either. But overall the cast was strong and I think they really worked well as an ensemble.

Favourite character: Yuna JInhnbS.png
    Honourable mentions: Kimahri PnSs9Hm.jpg

I thought I would hate Kimahri when I first played. It's like a giant blue cat thing, really now. But I've really come to love his character. He's devoted to Yuna and he literally risks his life to save her. He's her protector and he's awesome. His moments with Biran and Yanke have me cheering him on. There's not a bad bone in his giant blue body. Yuna has just recently taken the top spot. I just love who she is, how strong and selfless and honest she is. She struggles but she still stays a sweet, caring, and awesome person. She wants to help the people of Spira and she continues to press towards that goal long after others would have given up, (SPOILER)like after being condemned by Yevon. She's just such an amazing person.

Overall I think this is a really strong game and a great Final Fantasy. Engaging story, strong cast of characters, easy to get in to gameplay, beautiful world. The game is just a lot of fun and the story always sucks me right in.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well, there's my personal favorite non-VN game. I still vividly remember how I revisited this game a few years back and fell in love with it all over again. And every time I hear or play To Zanarkand it just takes me right back.