Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you cry when Aerith died?

Default Did you cry when Aerith died?

Am I heartless if I didn't cry? Because... I kinda didn't. I just only thought "Damn, that's depressing".

I didn't cry but the scene did have a powerful impact on me, the part where the music starts playing in sync with the bouncing materia hit me like a truck.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

No. My reaction was something like "Oh no, my materia!"

I think the game gave it back though so that was all good

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No. The internet spoiled it for me long before.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

No, I didn't cry. Actually, I really disliked Aerith as a character when I was a child. My mindset at the time was "Tifa got there first! Back off!" What a strange 10 year old... haha

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

who is aerith?.... oh thats that girl witht he red hair oh yeah. nah i was like." pfft another ff character dying. yo aerith! FF2 Tellah and Galuf got there before you. also i never used you"

Articles
    Blog Entries

I... don't think I did, actually. I saw the game being played long before I ever played it myself so I didn't have much of an emotional attachment. Plus I was really young back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Is that woman stuck in the 50's? She's wearing a bandana around her neck and I haven't seen anyone wear clothing like that since the 50's. Even though I wasn't born then but I saw images.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
    Is that woman stuck in the 50's? She's wearing a bandana around her neck and I haven't seen anyone wear clothing like that since the 50's. Even though I wasn't born then but I saw images.
    Sorry, what? Please clarify about to whom you are referring. I don't believe that Aeris wears a bandana around her neck.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Same. I did feel pretty bad for Cloud, though. But even when I don't know it's coming games seldom make me cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
    Sorry, what? Please clarify about to whom you are referring. I don't believe that Aeris wears a bandana around her neck.
    I mean the woman on your tag is what I mean. The thing that says get your geek on. I just thought she was kinda 50's stuck. Don't take it offensively though. I don't mean any offense I was just curious :?
    Last edited by Lazerface; 02-01-2015 at 01:55 AM.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes I did, but I'm not too sure I did the first time around, but I did later on when it sunk in what had happened, and would continue to do so every other time I played the game, when that scene came on, as well as the scene where Aeris's past is revealed after she is captured, as it played the same music, and I associated that music with her death. I don't think I fully understood what had happened at first, until Cloud actually said that Sephiroth had killed her - I thought that somehow she would be okay (not sure why, as she'd already had a "send off"), I think I was just so sure that as she was one of the playable protagonists she couldn't die, so there was a part of me that thought that some twist in the story was going to save her.

It took me a few days at least, but it hit home what had happened, though I can't remember if that's when I cried, or whether it was when I played it again (I used cheat codes back then, so replaying didn't take that long). I can remember crying during that scene every single time, and everytime Aeris's Theme was played, or I thought of either the scene or the theme. I actually took it very seriously back then, and got very emotionally involved in the storyline, and the death of a character who I found to be very likeable, and had gotten to "know" her, in a sense by playing the game, and caring about the characters. I would, I will admit, find myself in tears without even playing the game at that point - my mother even thought that something in real life was depressing me at one point, and (understandably) wasn't sure how respond when I told her that I was simply thinking of a sad moment from a video game.

I still get emotional with certain things, such as songs and scenes from storylines, but I tend to do so more subtly then I did when I was a child. I think what was happening to me there, was nothing more than a child experiencing the very emotion that the writers wanted him to feel, but being a child, was more open about it than an adult would be.
    Last edited by MJN SEIFER; 01-31-2015 at 03:12 AM.

Yes, I cried when she died, even if I was spoiled before seeing her death. It was really sad.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I shed a tear without even knowing her because I had her death spoiled for me at a friend's house.

But then again I was also 14 and super impressionable
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I first played FFVII when I was 7. Didn't cry then either. Guess she really just didn't mean much. Strangely I cried when Big guy died in Of Mice and Men. Guess her death just didn't hold much significance to me. Didn't know her and she felt like more of a plot device.