Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ToriJ's Top 30 PSX Games

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I didn't get a chance to pick up MK 9, but I'm excited for MK X.

MK 2 and MK 3 were pretty freaking great, and then the series really weakened until MK 9 came along. They weren't horrible, well most of them, just really weak.

Mah fav kuhrkturs:
    Ermac
    Baraka
    Kitana
    Jade
    Kenshi
    Scorpion
    Nitara
    Liu Kang

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

No Sub Zero ?

I like Sub Zero and Kitana most

Scorpion vs. Sub-Zero beef, bro.

Also the cyber ninjas. Such a sad story line.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

>tfw you learn your boyfriend doesn't like sub zero

Articles
    Blog Entries

What? MK3 was the worst one, and Sub-Zero is the best. Talk to your boyfriend, Pumpkin.

Yeah I didn't really feel MK3 specially as a follow up to the masterpiece that is MK2. I really liked MK9, I think it was a return to form of sorts.

Mortal Kombat 3 was not the worst one by far. It kept the same basic combat style as MK2 but added combos, a run button, and a lot of new characters.

Things started to go down hill when the games first tried to go 3D.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The run button didn't add much and the combos they added weren't so much combos as press the same button several times and stuff happens. The combat really didn't play out like a good match of MK2 at all. MK4 was actually a better follow up to MK2 than any variant of MK3. It also stands out quite well as one of the better entries that didn't rely on rehashing MK2 on some level.

And while the ones that were actually 3D were quite different from the early MK's, they weren't too bad with the exception of Armageddon which was the worst game in the entire series bar none.

But while we're on the topic of good MK games, Shaolin Monks is absolutely amazing, even if it does rehash MK2 for the billionth time.

Trilogy is my favorite entry in the series so far, followed by 2. <3

Well, unless we are counting Ultimate MK3 on the SNES, which has too many silly glitches to not be my favorite entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    The run button didn't add much and the combos they added weren't so much combos as press the same button several times and stuff happens. The combat really didn't play out like a good match of MK2 at all. MK4 was actually a better follow up to MK2 than any variant of MK3. It also stands out quite well as one of the better entries that didn't rely on rehashing MK2 on some level.
    We're just going to have to agree to disagree there. The first few attempts at a 3D MK were really rough, the run button did change things significantly IMO, and the combos were indeed combos.

An example:

REPTILE:
    Orb:B,B,HP+LP (fast):F,F,HP+LP Spit:F,F,HP
    Inviso:U,D,HK Run behind&punch:B,F,LK Slide:B+LP+BL+LK

Combos:
    (2):Jumpkick,slide(19/23%)
    (3):Orb,uppercut,slide(25%) (opponent must be above head before uppercut)
    (3):HK,HK,B+HK(21%)
    (4):HP,HP,HK,B+HK(24%)
    (5):HP,HP,D+LP,fast orb,uppercut(34%)
    (5):Orb,HP,fast orb,uppercut,slide(33%)
    (5):Jump HP,HP,HP,D+LP,sweep(33%)
    (6):HP,HP,D+LP,fast orb,HP,spit(30%)
    (6):Jump HP,HP,HP,D+LP,jumpkick,sweep(41%) (must be near corner)
    (7):HP,HP,D+LP,fast orb,HP,jumpkick,sweep(40%)

Were they basic compared to today? Maybe. They weren't anymore basic than the other main line fighters of the time a la Street Fighter.

If you want the "press the same button and stuff happens" style combo you'll have to look to Killer Instinct. Do a special move, hit the right button so it auto follows up with a few hits (after only hitting one button), do another special move to link it together, hit another button to autofill, repeat, do the appropriate special to end the combo. Attempt to juggle with projectiles.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    Mortal Kombat 3 was not the worst one by far. It kept the same basic combat style as MK2 but added combos, a run button, and a lot of new characters.
    While removing all the characters that were actually interesting and killing Sub-Zero's character by having him take off the mask. You don't take off someone's mask, man! Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 had to come out later to make up for the troutty character selection of the original. Not to mention that by that point the fatalities were just lazy. Take a drink every time someone explodes into a million bones.

UMK3 gets lumped in with MK3 for me. Yes they're different, but it's like all the different versions of Street Fighter 2 for me. They were all pretty good, and they all spawned off the same original game.

Sub-Zero's no mask thing was part of the story line. The sad cyber ninja story line I mentioned. You don't have to like it, but at least they had a decent storyline reason. (for a fighting game)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Rey Mysterio and Kane had decent storylines for why they took their masks off and it still killed their characters. Oh, who am I kidding? WCW didn't have any decent storylines after 1998. Fortunately, Midway put the mask back on him as soon as possible and we don't talk about it.

Next up we have a new genre making its way onto the list. Ooh. Racing! It's no secret I love racing games. I think. Apart from Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, and the San Francisco Rush series I don't think I talk about them all that much. This was a game that originally belonged to my brother that passed down to me when he moved out and didn't care to take any of his games with him. Also has one of the best intros I've seen in the whole... six racing games I played in my life. Give up? It's... It's...!

#22 Gran Turismo 2

Gran Turismo 2! Three different types of cars, two race modes, and two discs, what's not to love? I'd just spend hours playing the arcade mode of this game. Despite only having three tracks this game was crazy amounts of fun. I always liked using the mustang since it looks so much like my mom's mustang. I can't drive for trout (I think I started hitting the walls less), but if I let that stop me I wouldn't play racing games period. I would play non-racing games like Power Rangers Pinball or something. Ugh.

This was the game that got me into non-arcade racing titles. I spent so much time on the Simulation disc, collecting awesome (and hilariously junky) cars and earning trophies. I'm sure some people found the process tedious, but, excepting endurance races, I absolutely loved it, and I had cars for all the manufacturer and horsepower challenges -- my garage was AWESOME. >: D

Even better, I could bring it with me anywhere and load it up at a friend's house. I remember breaking out the Espace F1 from nowhere and people wondering where in the hell I found a van, not to mention using my Mini Coopers for epic 'gentlemenly strolls' through Motorsports Land, giving all those young whippersnappers what for.

There was also the ability to buy advanced customization for your vehicles, and I spent sooooo much time messing with all of the suspension and transmission settings without any clue what I was doing, trying to piece together what each change did in subsequent races. Awesome as my garage was, no one ever wanted to use it because I eventually ended up with the most terribly configured cars imaginable -- like, so bad no one else could effectively drive them -- but I was super proud of them because I was the one who set them up. I remember my RX-7 Infini III, in particular, that would fly out of control almost on a dime. xD Amusingly, that is my actual favorite car now because of this game.

3rd gen RX-7's are known for their handling prowess, so ruining that is impressive.

That's fine work, soldier.