Thread: Unbeatable Boss battles?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like them as long as I know they're unbeatable, otherwise I waste my items and junk and it is no fun

Or the fights that give you an unbeatable one and then like follow it up with a beatable one but you're low health and everything. I can't think of an example of this offhand but I feel like it's happened to me

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Perducci View Post
    Attachment 62515 All of my hate.
    Could not agreed more!! Teepo!! Why!!?? smurf you, horse face!!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't mind them overall. I think the only games that bothered me with them are Dragon Quest, since it is rarely telegraphed to you and so you are more likely to waste a good item or two in the fights, or games like Star Ocean 2 where the game just straight up makes the fight impossible by setting all your damage to 0. I totally could have won the duel with Dias.

The ones I like the most are the ones that are meant to be unbeatable but are secretly winnable if you know what you're doing. Especially if the game rewards you handsomely for doing so. Gades from Lufia 2 was already mentioned, but I also love the Grahf fights in Xenogears or the one against Hammer that are all actually beatable and reward you with rare items and great XP. Suikoden is also pretty good about this as well. Suikoden III has the highest volume of ''unwinnable'' battles in the early chapters but a surprising number of them are beatable. I think only two of the duels in the game and one boss battle against Yuber in Hugo's chapter are the only actual unwinnable fights in the game.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

I think they are ok at the start of the game or it's like FF6 where you go somewhere you aren't mean to ( the Guardian). At the start it can show the power of your foe, or if there's some other reason like they got a super magical item or they are way more technologically advanced than you, unbeatable boss battles in those situations can help give you the feeling of their power. Like Wolf kanno said though, when it isn't pretty obvious and you waste a bunch of items and stuff it sucks!

Damnit Christmas strikes again! I've already commented in this thread 6 years ago!

The pikachu in Pokemon colosseum is still my favourite example of it though, the fact the battle is purely 2 AI fighting but somehow they still made it the Old man can win when they could have easily just scripted the fight.