Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unbeatable Boss battles?

Default Unbeatable Boss battles?

Now we've all come across this one: you get to a certain part of the game when suddenly you are attacked by a powerful opponent of some sort. You enter the battle phase, use your strongest attack or magic, and find that you did...0 damage. Then the foe does an uber attack that does 9999 damage, and you die. Turns out that was a battle you were meant to lose for story purposes. What's your take on that? I personally find this game mechanic humorous as opposed to when i was little.

Here's some examples, my favorite choices from the link below are Beatrix and Gadwin in Grandia, but my personal all time memorable unbeatable battle has to be Ramirez from Skies of Arcadia. So again i ask what's your take on these type of bosses and do you have any personal and memorable experiences regarding them?

Honestly, though I know they annoy a lot of people, I don't mind them as long as it's at least semi obvious I'm not supposed to win. It generally works well enough with the plot and more effectively sets the person up as someone to be feared than someone in the game just telling me they are powerful.

As for fond memories, I think almost everyone remembers the rumor that Sunder and Balio were defeatable in BoF3 and spending hours trying to win that fight. Or, at least, I hope other people did. ._. It was one of the last great gaming rumors I encountered as a kid, along with the various ones in Pokemon RBY.

There's also the Gades fight in Lufia 2 which you are supposed to lose but can win. It was pretty awesome the first time I beat him, since it is an obviously rough fight and the game rewards you with the Gades Blade for winning it, which is completely awesome for a good while.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I always liked them. In the case of Beatrix I like how the game makes it feel like you're supposed to win, so when you die (well, health goes down to 1), you think you're about to get a game over and then boom, clip. As opposed to the ones where you know from the beginning you're going to lose and then you're just like "Eeh, just kill me already."

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I like/hate the fights that are supposed to be "unbeatable" but you can actually win either through immaculate strategy & skill or through power-leveling (usually before you should be power-leveling, e.g. lots of tutorial bosses). For instance, the first boss in Dark Souls. I think the first fight in God of War (maybe I'm remembering that wrong?). The first blitzball battle in FFX. I count Absolute Virtue back in the day in FFXI as one of these, even though technically it's not.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I remember an unbeatable fight in Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories where if you win the game just keep replaying the card match until you lose.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

i remember the Exdeath fight with Galuf. techincally unbeatable. but also unlosable. anyway thre is also that fight against the 4 black knights on FF2. and the fight against Nene at the begining of blue dragon. yeah they are kind of annoying when you waste al your items on them...

EDIT: there is this funny battle in pokemon colloseum where an old man fights the enemy with a pikachu. he is supposed to lose. but sometimes he actually wins. so after the battle hes like " oh no i cant beleive i lost" even when he won lol.

I only approve of these if they have the same abilities later on in the game, and the party has gotten stronger so they can be a fair match. I don't like it if they are cheesed with some kind of immunity or otherwise unachievable abilities.

Here is one I just got to again, Hope vs ushumgal subjugator in ff xii. You can see it working if you have enough damage output though.
    Last edited by Masamunemaster; 02-03-2015 at 09:09 AM.

My favorite is Keeleon in DQ4. I typically hate them, though.

hqdefault.jpg All of my hate.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I'm shocked no one has mentioned Lavos in the Undersea Palace. Easily the top of my list.

(Yes, I know it is possible to win in a New Game+)
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    I'm shocked no one has mentioned Lavos in the Undersea Palace. Easily the top of my list.

(Yes, I know it is possible to win in a New Game+)
    Theoretically possible to win in a standard New Game, as long as you grind a lot and are very lucky.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

does the spider bot in Dollet in FF8 count? that's great

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Sure does. Although it's actually beatable, it's hard enough to be next to unbeatable.

Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    Sure does. Although it's actually beatable, it's hard enough to be next to unbeatable.
    I don't know that "hard" is the word for it. It just takes forever.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.