Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How have your opinions changed over the years?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default How have your opinions changed over the years?

This is more meant for how your opinions have changed on individual entries, but we can discuss the series as a whole too. Are there any games in the series you used to like quite a bit that you may have a lesser opinion of now? Any games that you hated that you've grown fond of over the years?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

The major one is that FF9 has been considerably lowered in my estimation. The battle system was always slow and clunky, which bothers me now more than it used to. But the bigger thing is the pacing, at so many times it just felt like the game gets completely bogged down.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

uh no it hasnt because i only played ff for 1 yeaar

Articles
    Blog Entries

Final Fantasy X wasn't always my favorite. Many years ago I'd have easily given that title to VII.

I used to think X-2 was not remotely worthy of being compared alongside the PSX era FFs. That view was quickly abandoned when I got my hands on the International version.

My opinion on XII went from 'hard to accept as FF' (first look) to 'an okay game' (after first playthrough) to 'a pretty good game' (after replay) to 'damn this game is amazing' (after playing IZJS).

I used to pick Blitzball over Triple Triad as my favorite FF minigame.

Articles
    Blog Entries

My number one favorite also used to be FFVII before moving on to FFX.

I used to despise X-2, but can appreciate it a lot more than I used to.

I also enjoy II, VI, IX, and XII a lot more after playing them again.

VI and IV are now among my top five.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post

poor FFV is the only SNES era missing out on your Parties. jokes. but still i hope when i play FF X-2 that i like it. ( i will never accept that X is better than V. )

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntace101 View Post

poor FFV is the only SNES era missing out on your Parties. jokes. but still i hope when i play FF X-2 that i like it. ( i will never accept that X is better than V. )
    FFV always been one of my favorites.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntace101 View Post

FFV always been one of my favorites.
    yay \(^_^)/

Articles
    Blog Entries

For the most part, the way I felt about the games were set in stone the first time I played them, they either clicked with me or they didn't, the only ones that moved around are FFVIII and IX. I thought IX was arguably the best in the series when I played it and VIII probably the worst but as time goes on I see just how much FFIX played it safe and comparatively, the risks FFVIII took instead. While I still think IX is an excellent game with unbeatable music and artwork, I have a lot more respect for VIII and it's around my top tier now.

I wouldn't say my opinion changed but when I went back to replay FFX for the first time, I was surprised at just how good it was, even better than I had remembered. Looking forward to grabbing the HD version for my Vita soon.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

My opinion of FFVI has never wavered, not one bit. The others have to greater or lesser degrees.

Each game's score when I first played versus where it's at now.

FFI: 8--8.5
    FFII: 8--7.5
    FFIII: 7--6
    FFIV: 9--7
    FFV: 9--9.5
    FFVI: 10--10
    FFVII: 9.5--9
    FFVIII: 7--8
    FFIX: 9--8.5
    FFX: 8.5--9
    FFXI: 10--9.5
    FFXII: 9--8
    FFXIII: 2--3
    FFXIV: 6.5--8

I guess the biggest change has been FFIV. It's not that I don't like it or anything, but in comparison with the other games, especially of its generation, it lacks depth.

These numbers go up or down .5-1.5 each time I play one of them, but it's basically the same as it was the first time I played each of them.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My opinion of VIII has not changed and will never change. I love that game and it is a comfort game for me anymore. I do perceive some of its flaws more than I did as a kid, but I don't really care about the flaws. How I feel about everything else is a bit more fluid, though.

After VIII, I played IX. I was so excited because I loved VIII so much, but then the art style just threw me for a loop. I still played it for a while, but then there was a particular cutscene that would freeze on me every time, and I couldn't continue. I just gave up on it for a long time because I just really didn't like it. At all. And I'm still pretty certain it was just because of the art style/character designs. I played it again a few years ago and it became one of my favorites.

XII is the biggest one for me. By the point that came out, I was a fan of the series as a whole. XII felt too different from the rest of the games though, and I just couldn't get into it. Part of the problem is that I was excited for years for this game. I remember the first teaser image I saw for it. I was ready. I think this was the first FF I actually bought with my own money I remember popping in the disc for the first time and seeing that pretty glorious opening cinematic. I liked the look of the prince and was excited that I was going to play him I thought. I loved the action going on... everything just seemed pretty epic. Then the prince died. Then Vaan showed up. Then it didn't play like the other games. I hated it. But every couple of years I try to go back to it, and every time I warm up to it a little more. I still have never beaten it, but I'm going to try again this year! I do find the game a whole lot of fun now even if it's still not my favorite!

IV is a game I tried as a kid when I borrowed the FF Chronicles PS1 disc. I couldn't get into it. I wanted cutting edge graphics, not these little 2d sprites! Strangely enough, I popped in Chrono Trigger afterwards and fell in love. Anyways, I do really like IV now. It's a great game.

Tactics hasn't changed for me. I've always thought the story seems interesting, but I just lose interest in strategy RPGs pretty quickly despite enjoying them. I plan on remedying this this year as well. Going to try to beat all of the Ivalice titles! We'll see if these games get ranked higher for me come the end of the year.

:monster:

The biggest one for me is that FFV's story improved tremendously for me on a second playthrough. In fact, the older I get the more I appreciate that game, to the extent where it's probably my second favourite in the series now (after FFVI), or at least tied with FFIX for that honour.

Most of the other games haven't changed much in my rankings of how good they are since I played them, although the Compilation of FFVII has probably lowered my enjoyment of FFVII a lot.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    The major one is that FF9 has been considerably lowered in my estimation. The battle system was always slow and clunky, which bothers me now more than it used to. But the bigger thing is the pacing, at so many times it just felt like the game gets completely bogged down.
    This for me, but particularly in contrast to my opinion of VIII. I played them both at roughly the same time, and after a couple of plays of each, I thought it was basically a coin flip as to which was better. But now, many years later, VIII is solidly a better game in so many ways.

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I finally got past disc 1 of FFVII and I liked it considerably more after Aeris gets stabbed and leaves

I didn't like XII at all at first but now I love it

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I have learned to accept that having fun is more important than mere technical merit. I used to tell people that VI and VII were my favorites because I felt that they were the best from an impartial and technical standpoint. These days I'm not afraid to say that, you know what, I had more fun with II, X and the FFTA games... flaws and all.

(That's not to say that I don't like VI and VII of course. I still like them a heck of a lot too.)