Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Better Call Saul

That episode was phenomenal. That scene at the end between Mike and his sons wife was so damn good.

I don't think this show will ever reach the lofty heights of Breaking Bad, but comparing both first seasons, I think Saul has it hands down so far.

That shot of Mike pulling the gun out on the two dirty cops...was great. Felt very anime like idk

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

This week's episode was truly crushing. Oh Jimmy, how I know that feeling.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

After Mike's flashback episode, this show is quickly entering Mad Men-level quality in my book. Which is high praise. My wife hated Breaking Bad, but immediately as the credits rolled on that ep, she looked at me and said it was probably the best episode of television she's ever seen.

I'm sad the first season is almost over, but it has been a strong initial outing. I'm so happy about how well the premise is being capitalized upon. I liked it a lot better than Breaking Bad already.

The most recent episode was really really great, possibly my favorite so far. Especially compared to the previous one, which was imo the worst episode of the bunch. Charles McGill is a great character, and the relationship he has with Jimmy makes for some great on-screen chemistry.

I get a bit nervous for what's to come, though. Jimmy McGill is still a pretty far cry from what Saul Goodman was in Breaking Bad. It will be interesting/nerve-wracking to see the events that lead up to the whole "You don't need a criminal lawyer, you need a criminal lawyer" schtick.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    I get a bit nervous for what's to come, though. Jimmy McGill is still a pretty far cry from what Saul Goodman was in Breaking Bad. It will be interesting/nerve-wracking to see the events that lead up to the whole "You don't need a criminal lawyer, you need a criminal lawyer" schtick.
    Well, that right there was a pretty big shove into that direction.

Yeah that'll pretty much do it. Seems like Jimmy's downward spiral will converge with Mike's re-entry into the criminal game. One more episode left in the season. Jimmy takes Hamlin's money and begins to build the practice we know from Breaking Bad? Will they end it with the birth of the Saul Goodman moniker? Seems like it'd be a good way to end S1.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    Yeah that'll pretty much do it. Seems like Jimmy's downward spiral will converge with Mike's re-entry into the criminal game. One more episode left in the season. Jimmy takes Hamlin's money and begins to build the practice we know from Breaking Bad? Will they end it with the birth of the Saul Goodman moniker? Seems like it'd be a good way to end S1.
    I feel like it has to be.

(SPOILER)Chuck's tirade in the most recent ep, and Jimmy's response, sent chills down my spine precisely because I felt like I witnessed the death of Jimmy McGill and the birth of Saul Goodman. After a season of Jimmy trying so hard to actually do the right thing (and mostly... kinda mostly... staying clean), to have him be so utterly destroyed just totally made his backstory click for me. I expected more of a slow descent, but I feel like his criminal lawyer antics are going to start heating up pretty quickly.

Fantastic episode. This has been a hell of a first season.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Absolutely. I cannot praise the writing for this show enough. It makes me feel more than Breaking Bad. Not to say it's better than Breaking Bad, but there weren't any emotional gut punches in Breaking Bad to match the Mike episode and that last section with Chuck and Jimmy.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Absolutely. I cannot praise the writing for this show enough. It makes me feel more than Breaking Bad. Not to say it's better than Breaking Bad, but there weren't any emotional gut punches in Breaking Bad to match the Mike episode and that last section with Chuck and Jimmy.
    Dunno if you've watched Mad Men (and if not, I can't recommend it highly enough), but the way the story and characters are presented make me think more of that universe than Breaking Bad. BB was definitely a crime show, inside and out - the further it went along, the more I associated it with the Godfather films than an interpersonal drama. Personally, I like the former more. Breaking Bad was a great crime show, but I think Better Call Saul (like Mad Men) is a lot more about humans.

Oh my god this show is so good. I haven't felt like this about a show since..well, Breaking Bad. And even that took a couple of seasons to get to this stage.

That scene at the end hit me hard, almost like I was Jimmy. I think we'll definitely see Saul by the end of this season.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

BB was notorious for it's slow pacing so I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the Saul name under wraps for at least another season. This is definitely the best new show of this season.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I actually think, and am probably alone in the universe, that it is better than Breaking Bad. The first time I tried watching it I stopped after a few episodes because while I thought cooking meth in an RV was fun, it never grabbed me. Then I came back to it later on to finish it and after about three seasons I kept asking people when "the best show ever" was about to begin. I kept getting told the fourth and fifth season. I agree those are the best of the bunch but it took that many seasons to get to that point. It isn't a case of hype because I can separate myself from hype pretty well most of the time, but something was missing for me. I wasn't real excited for Better Call Saul either because even though I liked him, I didn't need a spin-off.

Yet I love BCS. I don't know if it's simply a matter of being familiar with the characters already, but I've been hooked since about the second episode. They're two completely different shows but I agree with whoever said that it's a more emotional show. The latest episode had a pretty crippling ending. Looking forward to the season finale, though I wish the show was over so I could just binge-watch it.
    Will post for food.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

They are different shows but with a similar directional style. In many ways BCS is better than BB but BCS has the benefit of only having one season and still being fresh. The better comparison is to the first season of BB in which case I would say they are about even.

In any event, this is the most successful spinoff series I've seen in years. I had doubts that Saul and Mike could carry a show on their own but they certainly can.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    In any event, this is the most successful spinoff series I've seen in years. I had doubts that Saul and Mike could carry a show on their own but they certainly can.
    Yep, same. This show has exceeded my expectations by a lot.