Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Better Call Saul

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Charles tirade at Jimmy at the end of the episode was bloody amazing, I was literally like "WTF? You absolute !"

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Gilligan never fails to find these absolutely perfect actors for their roles. I had never heard of the actor who had played Charles before the show, but holy crap has he owned it.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    Gilligan never fails to find these absolutely perfect actors for their roles. I had never heard of the actor who had played Charles before the show, but holy crap has he owned it.
    He's been acting for a while, mostly in pretty amazing comedies (check out This Is Spinal Tap for one of his earliest and most famous films). This dramatic turn is pretty incredible though.

I agree about Gilligan's casting choices, everyone just totally owns their characters. A lot of times when I'm watching movies with recognizables actors, I feel like it's hard to forget that it's Tom Cruise or Matt Damon or whatever. But even with all the previous work I've seen of Bob Oedenkirk or Michael McKeane, they completely disappear into their roles on this show. That's pretty rare.

Yeah, I'm gonna bandwagon and say the roles are perfect for these actors as well.

I have to admit, I felt the show was pretty slow (and not just compared to Breaking Bad) in a couple previous episodes, but needless to say the latest one had me pretty excited (and somewhat apprehensive..) about what's to come.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    He's been acting for a while, mostly in pretty amazing comedies (check out This Is Spinal Tap for one of his earliest and most famous films). This dramatic turn is pretty incredible though.

I agree about Gilligan's casting choices, everyone just totally owns their characters. A lot of times when I'm watching movies with recognizables actors, I feel like it's hard to forget that it's Tom Cruise or Matt Damon or whatever. But even with all the previous work I've seen of Bob Oedenkirk or Michael McKeane, they completely disappear into their roles on this show. That's pretty rare.
    Bryan Cranston too. Who would have thought Malcom's dad could be so scary?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I can't say I found it to be an amazing finale, but I will admit it was very very very well done. Cinematography, running themes, etc. Reference's to BB, I counted two with the belize joke and the kevin costner one. Lots of symbolism to the coin shtick in that last scene.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

That finale was bad.

Like some TV dramas in recent years (Game of Thrones comes to mind), they went for the big bang on the second to last episode and let the season finale be the denouement and the stage-setter for the next season. Which is pretty much fine with me, but yeah this episode wasn't anything spectacular. The bingo hall scene in particular may have seemed good on paper but didn't work in execution imo.

Still an incredible first season, can't wait for the next. Count me among the initial doubters who became believers.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Yeah, I think the season would've been better if it had ended on episode 9 instead of 10 but hey ho, still an incredible first season.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've really enjoyed this first season of Better Call Saul. Even though it's a slow burn kind of show, I find the pacing to be better than Breaking Bad's was. And I really love what they've done with the character of Jimmy. What a way to flesh out Saul's origin story.

That being said, holy trout was that finale terrible. Like really smurfing bad.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    I've really enjoyed this first season of Better Call Saul. Even though it's a slow burn kind of show, I find the pacing to be better than Breaking Bad's was. And I really love what they've done with the character of Jimmy. What a way to flesh out Saul's origin story.

That being said, holy trout was that finale terrible. Like really smurfing bad.
    What didn't you like about it?

I just caught up last night, and saw these comments ahead of watching it, so I was expecting a total stinker. I thought it was just alright, kind of like how Red Pill described it. A nice lead-in to the next season, if nothing else.

I don't know if that's the fanboy in me speaking but I felt like the finale was just fine.

The 09 was definitely more direct and left a strong impression, which is something usually sought after in the season finales, but I felt like the 10, while more subtle, actually plays much bigger part in the grand scheme of things.

Also since this is my first post in this topic... I friggin' love BCS, awesomely done spin-off.

I didn't think the final episode was so bad, but it was certainly no episode 9. I particularly loved the scene at the end with Mike, really looking forward to seeing the birth of Saul in the next series, and how is Kim going to take seeing Jimmy turn?

And for the record, Michael McKeane's best role before this was without a doubt as Fear/The Clown in Star Trek: Voyager - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Clown

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

This thread hasn't been posted in for five years but I don't care. This show is smurfing cinema on television. All the framing and the callbacks and the dialogue and all of it. It's actual god damn art.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I haven't seen the latest season but I agree this show is great through Season 4. Very rare that a spinoff show and a prequel is as good or maybe even better than the original show. It still has some of the pacing issues BB had but not nearly as bad. Also for a prequel there are some odd things they needed to do for the timeline to fit, but these are nitpicks. I hear the latest season is also really good.