Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Majoras Mask 3ds

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Default Majoras Mask 3ds

this is a discussion thread of the very soon to be released Majora's mask 3d

it may be released in US or something but here in Europe we have to wait till Friday the 13th of Febuary.

anyway we can discuss some MM here and stuff.( sorry if someone has already made this thread)

( and yes i have played the N64 version, incase you were wondering)
    Last edited by Galuf; 02-12-2015 at 04:57 PM.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

I played a little bit when it was released on the N64 all those years ago. I am sure Nintendo will do a worthwhile 'remaster' for more coinage. They may be repetitive, but they seem to make high quality repetition.

I don't have a 3DS, but I am contemplating the idea of getting the New 3DS, and trying out a few games. I don't know if Nintendo lends itself to an experience that I am searching for though. They tend to be rather shallow on the plot front. Unless CiTV/cBBc villains are all you want in terms of character depth. Ha.

Nintendo doesn't make games for the plot. They make games for the gameplay. They want to immerse the player not with a story, but with the controls and mechanics to make you feel awesome. To them (and I agree with them), story comes second. However, Zelda games have been getting more story-driven lately.

And Majora's Mask is one that, while it's light on story, what it does have sticks with you. Majora's Mask if full of "feels" with rich side-quests that's mentally and emotionally rewarding.

I was at Gamestop earlier today and spent a couple minutes with their Majora's Mask 3D display with the New 3DS. They had three demos and I played the Odolwa battle. Yep, they really changed that boss. I won't go into details, though. But the controls were still nice, yet more fluid than the N64 version. And the graphics were a definite upgrade. As if the game needed more colour and visual detail, they really added a lot more to that boss room. I'm not complaining, though. It was beautiful! I didn't try the other demos though. I just wanted a quick two minute teaser and Odolwa seemed the best option for a fast play.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I absolutely love this game, it's one of my favourites of all time. With that being said, I have the N64 version and I don't really want the 3DS one. I do wonder about buying it anyways just to show financial support for such an excellent game, but I'll never play it on my 3DS

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm getting the New 3DS and this game tomorrow! I'm pretty excited!

How are the 3D effects in this game? Is it an improvement over Ocarina of Time 3D?

I just got Ocarina of Time 3D, and while I love the visuals and I love 3D mode, I do notice one issue. When the screen is mostly dark, the models that give off light have ghostly copy figures of themselves around the actual figure. For example, if Link is outside a dungeon entrance, you can see multiple ghostly figures of Link and Navi against the pitch-black entryway. It's not really annoying, and I can look past it as this rarely occurs.

But still, is this is still a problem with 3D games and Majora's Mask in particular?

Having the New 3DS, the 3D doesn't blur as much as the original model did. It was exceptionally bad if you moved around a lot.

Majora's is looking absolutely wonderful on the New 3DS, can't comment on how it would look on the other models though. Not perfect, but a big improvement.

So, finally getting to play this game for the first time (I spent maybe five minutes on an emulator playing the original, that's it).

It's a good game, with some great atmosphere. It's also got some really, really questionable design elements.

I've spent most of my time hanging around Clock Town, discovering quests and what not. So I wind up trying to hunt down Kafei. Now, I know where Kafei is. He's wearing a Keaton mask in the Laundry Pool. He mails a letter at the start of the first day, and then sits inside 95% of the rest of the time. You can't talk to him, even if you call him out with the bell.

I know Anju is looking for him. She hangs around the lobby of the Inn, then on later days takes trips out to the Laundry Pool to cry. So I try talking to her, she acknowledges that I'm looking for Kafei, and continues to cry. Fantastic. After following her for pretty much the entire last two days, I reset and go follow her from the beginning. I talk to her and she mentions how, starting at noon, she's waiting for a letter from the Postman from Kafei. Easy enough. I wait around exploring the inn until noon. She's nowhere to be seen. Frustrated that I missed something AGAIN, I turn back time and follow her meticulously. It turns out "waiting for a letter" apparently translates to "having lunch upstairs" (which the Bomber's Notebook Journal totally contradicts, saying she's in the lobby the whole time).

So I eventually see the Postman deliver the letter, and now I get a letter to post and watch where it's delivered to so that I can hunt down Kafei. Which means I post it, then get to wait at the mailbox for several hours for the postman to come by.

Why? Why why why why why?! Why does the game force you to spend essentially an entire three day cycle following each person so that you can figure out everything that happens to them, and notice the one exact moment you can talk to them?! This game is so frustratingly restrictive about when and where it will let you go and talk to people to progress things.

Now I'm having to spend ANOTHER three day cycle waiting outside Romani Ranch to see how long it takes for the rock to be broken open so that I can go inside. Because, surprise, last time I got in on the third day, it was already too late and the ranch had already suffered some disaster.

I don't mind the repetition. I don't mind the time based events. But it's really, really annoying having to spend an entire cycle following each character and each plot event just to know what to do.

And I still have no clue how to get into the first dungeon. I followed the swamp and forest through, found a collapsed witch, but I apparently need a potion to cure her, and I have yet to find an empty bottle, so...

It's got a fantastic atmosphere, some great characterization, and the quests themselves are fun. It just has an absolutely horrid interface and does not convey things well at all.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

well i got it on friday. and im taking my time. when i played it on N64 i got as far as the Gerudo pirate fortress. now on this version im just done Great bay temple ( actually going back looking for all the stray faires) its good i like it and i also like how they changed the layout of some places rather than just retexture them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    This was one of my favourite things about the game. I love that I can replay the 3 day cycle over and over and discover new things and see everyone's routine. I used to spend hours just following everyone around and I loved every minute of it.

If you need any help, I've played this game so many times that I know it like the back of my hand, so feel free to message me.

This game is so awesome

Also, Imma spoiler help you out here if you need me too. Just clicky

(SPOILER)
    Go speak to her sister after you find her. Her sister will give you a potion and a bottle to go help her out.
    The rock for Romani Ranch will always open naturally on day 3 when it's too late. You need to wait until further in the game before you can open it up earlier.
    The Anju and Kafei quest is one of the longest and most involving and you won't be able to complete it until much later in the game.
    Make sure to take advantage of the reverse song of time and the song of double time

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    This was one of my favourite things about the game. I love that I can replay the 3 day cycle over and over and discover new things and see everyone's routine. I used to spend hours just following everyone around and I loved every minute of it.

If you need any help, I've played this game so many times that I know it like the back of my hand, so feel free to message me.

This game is so awesome

Also, Imma spoiler help you out here if you need me too. Just clicky

(SPOILER)
    Go speak to her sister after you find her. Her sister will give you a potion and a bottle to go help her out.
    The rock for Romani Ranch will always open naturally on day 3 when it's too late. You need to wait until further in the game before you can open it up earlier.
    The Anju and Kafei quest is one of the longest and most involving and you won't be able to complete it until much later in the game.
    Make sure to take advantage of the reverse song of time and the song of double time
    Thank you for the help.

Again, I like the repetition and characterization aspects.

The big problem is that you never know why something goes wrong. Did you forget a step? Are you missing something obvious? Do you have to progress the game further? Or is there just a five minute gap of time where you have to be in the exact right spot in order to go on to the next step?

That's what's really bugging me, I never know why something's going wrong.

Right now, for example:
    Kafei's Quest I've delivered Kafei's pendant to Anju, and when I go back to Kafei, he tells me he's waiting for the stolen mask to show up in the Curiosity Shop. So I wait and wait for that stupid shop to open. The thief comes in... And sells the Big Bomb Bag, which he had stolen from the old lady on Day One because I was on a different cycle from when I stopped him. So, reset cycle, do ALL the preliminary stuff again, but make sure to rescue the old lady, and now I'm back at the shop waiting. Is he going to come deliver the stolen mask instead? Or do I have to do something else? I don't know, and it's really frustrating having to do EVERYTHING all over again every time I mess up.

I'll find out in a bit, I guess.

As for the Ranch: (SPOILER)I know you get a Goron transformation. Once you get that mask, will the bomb shop Goron sell you the big bomb to get into Romani Ranch?

Anyway, thanks for the key bit of help with the dungeon, because I was seriously about to give up on the game. Complete the Kafei quest and whatever else I can do around town (which, to be fair, is a LOT of stuff, I'm finding), hope I find a bottle, and if not, give up.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I would almost like to say I know this game like the back of my hand, too, but I still sometimes find something new in someone's routine. And I always love that! I've played this game so many times, yet I still find something new, however miniscule. I almost don't want to know everything.

Definitely my favourite Zelda game, by far.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You'll easily enough be able to get the big bombs for Romani Ranch after a certain point with the Goron Mask. But in the meantime, if you haven't done it, try to get the Bunny Hood from there on the third day. With the time limit it it is immensely helpful. And again, don't worry about the Kafei quest now. You need to be close to the end to get it all done. But some of the quests tie together. The sister will give you a bottle with the potion so no worries there.

Again, my biggest advice, to anyone really, is DON'T worry about finding everything and doing everything right now. A lot of the answers just come naturally as the game progresses. Because of the cycle and being able to start over again, you can go back and do most stuff. The most annoying would be having to redo dungeons if you miss stuff, but you can redo those too and they are usually easier when you get things from the other dungeons.

I'm not a completionist myself so I played through several times before I got everything, but the game is extremely flexible because you restart time and if you miss something, you just do other stuff, reset time, and try it again. So if there comes an issue that you just can't seem to find the solution too, try going forward with the game and then trying again. You might have just needed to wait for a certain item or something

I will say the most annoying aspect is the things you need to do in post-dungeon areas are the most annoying. You only have limited time to do them because when you reset, you'll have to complete the entire dungeon again to get access to them. That can be annoying. So advice for that would be um... complete dungeons as quickly as possible

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    I will say the most annoying aspect is the things you need to do in post-dungeon areas are the most annoying. You only have limited time to do them because when you reset, you'll have to complete the entire dungeon again to get access to them. That can be annoying. So advice for that would be um... complete dungeons as quickly as possible
    You only have to fight the bosses again, not the whole dungeon. The mask tiles in the entrance of the dungeons transport you immediately to the boss, provided you've beaten them before.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh wow I actually didn't know that. I've never gone back to do the dungeons because they're my least favourite part I just wait until my next playthrough and get the stuff then

Good advice, thank you